Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Level Scaling] [Difficulty] [POTD]Compilation Thread

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

Vic20

Vic20

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Because of this, we opt to not display difficulty indicators when level scaling is enabled, rather than displaying inaccurate information.

Great, except... If only low level encounters are being scaled up, they wouldn't have had skull markers in the first place.  It's the LACK of skulls for difficult content that's hosing us.  You could simply re-enable your "inaccurate information", and it would be 100% visually accurate to the player.

• Insolentius and CarrO like this

Bamsmacked88

Bamsmacked88

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Steam:sychopath88

I actually made my account primarily to discuss this.

I've played the game on Veteran normally without any scaling options on and the skulls and harder areas were visible.

However the game was becoming laughably easily, so I wanted to try POTD and I enabled level scaling and checked ONLY SCALE UP. Now everything in the game is either at or below my level, according to in game quest difficulty descriptions and no more skulls are present. I'm also actually able to do quests WAY earlier than what I could originally because everything is "scaled" to my level apparently -- even when I clicked scale ONLY UP.

This is definitely a bug or they really screwed up the description.

Scaling enemies up needs to be fixed because even on POTD the game is just too damn easy, especially since resources are basically infinite unlike in the first came. I don't have to worry about my resources at all like I did in the first game which is unfortunate, because I like the new class/multi-class addition very much - but the game is just to damn easy I can spam all my per-rest abilities and not even worry because I can camp right after each fight.

Insolentius

Insolentius

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

However the game was becoming laughably easily, so I wanted to try POTD and I enabled level scaling and checked ONLY SCALE UP. Now everything in the game is either at or below my level, according to in game quest difficulty descriptions and no more skulls are present. I'm also actually able to do quests WAY earlier than what I could originally because everything is "scaled" to my level apparently -- even when I clicked scale ONLY UP.

You're missing the point. The only bug here is that the skulls don't show up at all if any form of scaling is enabled. That doesn't mean that everything scales (down) to your level - it just means that the high level encounters/monsters/quests will not be marked with skulls (go fight The Steel Preacher at level 2 or 3, and see how you fare). PotD being easy (or at least easier than it was in PoE 1) is a different problem (which they plan to fix).

Bamsmacked88

Bamsmacked88

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Steam:sychopath88

You're missing the point. The only bug here is that the skulls don't show up at all if any form of scaling is enabled. That doesn't mean that everything scales (down) to your level - it just means that the high level encounters/monsters/quests will not be marked with skulls (go fight The Steel Preacher at level 2 or 3, and see how you fare). PotD being easy (or at least easier than it was in PoE 1) is a different problem (which they plan to fix).

What point am I missing? I'm simply reading the description of the feature and it's not doing what it's suppose to do. High level encounters shouldn't scale down to me when I have only scale upwards enabled, but it does. I've already did some hard encounters, I cleared out the forest west of Neketaka at level 5 with scaling. In the default game mode with no scaling that is like a level 9 area I think, I remember seeing skulls (3) at that place when I was 5-6 on my original play through. I cleared the place out at level 5-6 on POTD difficulty.

I know it's possible to clear out higher level areas if you manage everything super well, but holy crap --- I had a party full of multi classes at level 5 and still did it on POTD (Level scaling all on with ONLY SCALE UP ENABLED) when it's a area that is 3-4 levels higher than me with scaling disabled.

Edited by Bamsmacked88, 23 May 2018 - 11:11 AM.

Xantro

Xantro

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just one post to add my voice to this fix.

Please, include it in your next patch :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users