This mod aims to increase the game difficulty by altering enemy's level progression, however it is more of a band-aid partial fix rather than a proper solution to current issues with PoE 2 difficulty. Also please bear in mind the mod is still work in progress and hasn't been thoroughly tested and balanced yet.
What does it do:
- Enemy's levels are increased globally. This has been done by increasing the level scaling values by 2-3 in progressiontable gamedatabundle file. Note that actual level increase depends on the difference between the player's level and location level (see below).
- Enemy's levels scale up higher than in vanilla. Vanilla level scaling table has a hard cap of max 4 levels above the enemy base level. This mods changes the cap to 10 bonus levels. This has been done by tweaking the level scaling values in progressiontable and characters gamedatabundle files.
Download link (Nexus): https://www.nexusmod...ernity2/mods/24
- I am not 100% sure but it appears that the way level scaling works in PoE2 is that a same creature would get different bonus levels when spawned at different locations. The only logical explanation I have is that the amount of bonus levels enemy gets above its base level depends on the difference between the current player's level and the current location level (where the creature is spawned) rather than on the difference between the player's level and the enemy's base level.
- This means that an enemy spawned at early game areas would have higher adjusted level than same enemy spawned in later game areas - provided player's level remains the same.
- This mod should work on any difficulty but it is intended to be balanced against Path of the Damned difficulty.
- You have to turn level scaling on (all, only up) in order to make this mod work. Edit: different scaling options should run well with the mod, however this has not been tested.
- Note that the mod might work only in locations you haven't visited yet (this needs further testing). It does not require starting a new game.
- Neither of the mods should break any achievements.
- The mod should work with game version 1.02.
How to install:
- Go to Pillars 2 folder (e.g. Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\)
- Create "override" folder in Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\
- Unzip the mod to the created /override folder.
- The path to the mod files should be: /PillarsOfEternity2_Data/override/LevelScalingMod/gamedata/
- Run the game.
- Make sure scaling is turned on.
Optional XP gain tweak:
I have also included a separate XP reduction mod for those who want slower levelling. It decreases the quest XP gain multiplier and combat XP gain multiplier in global gamedatabundle files to 70% of the vanilla values. You can tweak the values yourself if you wish, the default vanilla values are 1.35 for QuestXPMultiplier and 1.25 for CombatXPMultiplier.
Compatibility with other mods:
A. The Level Scaling Mod is not compatible with any mods that change 'CharacterStatsGameData' objects in 'characters.gamedatabundle' or 'CharacterLevelScalingTableGameData' objects in 'progressiontable.gamedatabundle'.
The following is a complete list of Level Scaling Mod's tweaks made to those files:
- characters.gamedatabundle: 'MaxLevelAdjustment' property changed from 4 to 19;
- progressiontable.gamedatabundle: 'ExpectedCharacterLevelAdjustment' arrays expanded up to 'ExpectedDifferenceMin: 8', 'ExpectedDifferenceMax: 50';
- progressiontable.gamedatabundle: changed 'AdjustedLevelAmount' values (up to 10 - this is the mod's hard cap).
B. The XPTweak_0.7 Mod is not compatible with any mods that change 'Game.GameData.ExperienceTableGameData' objects in 'global.gamedatabundle'.
The following is a complete list of XPTweak_0.7 Mod's tweaks made to that file:
- global.gamedatabundle: 'QuestXPMultiplier' property changed from 1.35 to 0.945;
- global.gamedatabundle: 'CombatXPMultiplier' property changed from 1.25 to 0.875.
I'd welcome any input.
Edited by Tanred, 24 May 2018 - 10:47 AM.