Like the others have said, at first there was outrage just because WE DON'T LIKE THINGS THAT'RE DIFFERENT! Then when it was explained and tested for ourselves we realised oh yeah it actually makes sense and is a better design decision.

Except for the few who are still outraged because WE DON'T LIKE THINGS THAT'RE DIFFERENT!

Or those for whom having companions to take along with you on your adventures is a huge part of their enjoyment of the game and now they have one less of those companions to take along. Enough with the straw man of people being unhappy over things being different.

Well is 7 party members better than 6?

Where does it end?

Yes, 7 is better than 6.  :p As long as combat doesn't become entirely unmanageble and broken, I'll always choose more partymembers over more fluid gameplay. Of course, I get that Obsidian needs combat to be as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible. Their decision is understandable, but it will definitely mess with my enjoyment of the game. Not enough for me not to buy it, I've bought games with even smaller parties, but it will add a lot of frustration and hassle.

• Like 2

Yeah and 4 makes the combat "more fluid" than 5, and with 3 it's even better /sarcasm.  Where does THAT end? I guess we could just have a solo game without party.

With all the semi-smart talk there is a really simple answer. It ends were designers will end it - were they find a good balance between clarity and complexity, were encounters will be engaging but not overcrowded, were team compositions are varied and interesting, but force players to make interesting trade offs.

In Deadfire Obsidian decided this number is 5. Don’t compare it to other games, which have different mechanics and balance. Play it first, and then decide if you really lack a space in your party, or If there is too little to manage.

The disappointment of wanting an extra companion for story reasons is so far the only valid disappointment - not one worth changing design for, but one that has merit.

• Like 4

For those that like pure single class chars, it means you'll have to drop one of:

Tank (can't drop)

2H

Rogue

Wizard

Hunter

Healer (can't drop)

Or multi-class one of them.

This is upsetting to me :(

• Like 1

talking about combat clarity especially on spells/talents/skills effect on screen. in favor of clarity, they reduced 1 party member and also the effects. if not mistaken, they made effects last for a very short time and even tone down the effects of those spells and abilities. those who played the beta, does this affects the overall experience of the game?

talking about combat clarity especially on spells/talents/skills effect on screen. in favor of clarity, they reduced 1 party member and also the effects. if not mistaken, they made effects last for a very short time and even tone down the effects of those spells and abilities. those who played the beta, does this affects the overall experience of the game?

Yes, both ways actually for good and for bad. Spell opacity reduction on pause works very well. Spells tent to be more snappy and don’t cover the screen in too many particles. The major issue I had, were some of the lasting AOE abilities (or Greater Sand Blight’s siccoro to be precise). It’s an ability which last for a while and does constant damage and interrupts. I had difficult time seeing what it’s radious is, and on my first playthrough I wouldn’t notice it at all, if not for the combat log. It melts with background as both are sandy, and the more subtle effects don’t help.

Yes, both ways actually for good and for bad. Spell opacity reduction on pause works very well. Spells tent to be more snappy and don’t cover the screen in too many particles. The major issue I had, were some of the lasting AOE abilities (or Greater Sand Blight’s siccoro to be precise). It’s an ability which last for a while and does constant damage and interrupts. I had difficult time seeing what it’s radious is, and on my first playthrough I wouldn’t notice it at all, if not for the combat log. It melts with background as both are sandy, and the more subtle effects don’t help.

that's quite disappointing for me. clarity wasn't much of an issue for myself. actually i think the opacity during pause would really help. part of me i really love the spell effects in first poe. if those effects has to be gimped in favor of clarity, that kinda disheartening. hopefully it won't be that bad when i get to see it for myself.

Edit

Just watched a video of a Fury Druid. I think that's something i wanted to play. It looks hella cool. Now the disappointing part is the sound and the spell effects? Relentless Storm was so good in first Poe both in terms of it's sound effect and visual. Now it looks kinda gimped to me :(. Tell me it's just beta that they are putting placeholder for the sound effects and visuals. Also the HUD UI looks pretty ugly to me. Wondering if they can have the old UI skin that looks perfect to me.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Just watched a video of a Fury Druid. I think that's something i wanted to play. It looks hella cool. Now the disappointing part is the sound and the spell effects? Relentless Storm was so good in first Poe both in terms of it's sound effect and visual. Now it looks kinda gimped to me :(. Tell me it's just beta that they are putting placeholder for the sound effects and visuals. Also the HUD UI looks pretty ugly to me. Wondering if they can have the old UI skin that looks perfect to me.

I think it probably is placeholder animations for the beta. There were certainly some in there. I haven't seen the spell used on Cohh's stream, but I did see a lightning strike from weather that was very nice and I'm hopeful that it'll be the same animation as Relentless/Returning Storm.

I think it probably is placeholder animations for the beta. There were certainly some in there. I haven't seen the spell used on Cohh's stream, but I did see a lightning strike from weather that was very nice and I'm hopeful that it'll be the same animation as Relentless/Returning Storm.

I thought Relentless storm looked better as the crackling energy would show you the field of affect. 

Like the others have said, at first there was outrage just because WE DON'T LIKE THINGS THAT'RE DIFFERENT! Then when it was explained and tested for ourselves we realised oh yeah it actually makes sense and is a better design decision.

Except for the few who are still outraged because WE DON'T LIKE THINGS THAT'RE DIFFERENT!

Or those for whom having companions to take along with you on your adventures is a huge part of their enjoyment of the game and now they have one less of those companions to take along. Enough with the straw man of people being unhappy over things being different.

Well is 7 party members better than 6?

Where does it end?

well 7 IS the perfect number :p

but in all seriousness my personal preference is 10, but while 10 is fun, 10 also gets unwieldy since you have too many things that you can do/too many things to manage. Personally I'm happy with 5, I assume they have had different party sizes during different parts of development and found that 5 was the right balance for this game.

The only thing that I would hate is a party of 1-3 for a game like this.

Edited by CAlmond

Sigh. The old 5 vs 6 party debate. As an old school gamer, I still miss the 6 member party. It's just what's supposed to happen in games like this!  :yes:

I will admit - When playing Divinity Original Sin 1/2, the 4 member party felt fine and I don't know why that is. Honestly, in Deadfire, the 5 member party "feels" fine, but that might be due to my bear taking the 6th slot, or the fact this game is easier when it comes to difficulty.

I really hope they go back to the old tried and true formula of 6 party members. I miss the Ranger, Fighter, Priest, Wizard, Rogue, Paladin line up I always used in Icewind Dale, etc. I'm not a fan of multi classing and knocking down a party member makes me feel like I NEED to multi class in Deadfire to make up for the loss of one member.

• Like 1

I think 5 works great for combat but it feels too restrictive when you’re trying to take people who would have an interest in a specific quest.

Honestly wouldn’t mind having an optional ‘animancy walkie talkie / hologram’ or something so the companions left back on the ship can still chip in with banter or quest chat. I don’t have time to play the game over and over to see that stuff.

The UI is still a mess with 5 companions so I’m not sure that’s a legit reason for the cap.

• Like 1