nfl 2018-2019

Gromnir

More like my previous attempts at watching the draft have killed my excitement of watching them, so a word of warning that it might do the same for you, :p.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What do you say about the schedule for your team?

As for Packers, I think they've got a pretty good one. Rams and Patriots in week 8 and 9 won't be fun, but other than that, I found it pretty manageable (all under the assumption we get the secondary somewhat fixed during this off season).

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

It's a pretty nasty stretch. @LAR, @NE, MIA, @SEA, @MIN. However, schedules are rarely what they seem to be when looking at it before the season actually starts - most teams rise and fall quickly in the NFL.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

It's a pretty nasty stretch. @LAR, @NE, MIA, @SEA, @MIN. However, schedules are rarely what they seem to be when looking at it before the season actually starts - most teams rise and fall quickly in the NFL.

Can't say Miami (Tannehill) or Seahawks (rebuilding) scare me that much. Minnesota is scary, but we must face them twice every year so not much to fret about that.

But you are absolutely right. A lot of things will be different when the season actually gets going. Maybe New England will end up being the easy one in the end.

Most mock drafts are projecting Barkley to Giants. I just can't believe Giants won't pick a QB when they have the 2nd draft pick. I mena Eli hasn't been really good for years and he isn't getting better either. I see QB as a must for Giants and they should go with Rosen. I think he can learn a lot from Eli during 1 or even 2 seasons.

I would be devestated if I was a Giants fan and they picked anything else but a QB with their first pick.

I cant get a good feel for who Dallas may choose at 19th, but I hope its not a wide receiver.

Defense was their biggest weakness last season, so that's what I would go for. But it's hard to project that far down. And I'm not really sure if the DLine is the biggest weakness or if it's the secondary.

"I would be devestated if I was a Giants fan and they picked anything else but a QB with their first pick."

Nope. Don't need some back up QB. We have a 2 time SB MVP on our rost who has played pretty well the last few seasons. The difference last season was the defense being worse than their 11-5 season. Not to mention not having hteir superstar receiver healthy. Don't speak for Giant fans. That is just showing your ignorance. We need a true running back.

•  

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

well, you got what you wanted

• Like 1

Interesting. Packers essentially traded back 4 spots and lost a 3rd and a 6th in exchange for another first round pick next year (Saints) and a fifth and a seventh this year. Can't argue with that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

is a few first round talents available for tomorrow.

dallas had zero'd in on vander esch for a while, so the pick weren't  a real surprise.  is a serious boom or bust player though.  only one full year as a starter and some injury stuff.  not surprising with the lack o' experience, vander esch has a tendency to overcommit and he don't shed blocks great, but he gots almost preternatural instincts-- fantastic anticipation. actual plays faster than his 40 time, and for a guy his size, his 40 is fantastic.

packers trade looks amazing on paper, and jaire were the best looking cb at the combine this year. injury issues and size are biggest concerns for jaire.  

barkley were, in our estimation, the second best player in the draft, but such ain't a criticism as we think quenton nelson were a once-in-a-generation guard... but convince a team to pick a guard top 3?  the thing is, the first round qbs, none o' whom genuine impressed  Gromnir as a top five kinda guy, better not become franchise qbs, 'cause if they do, then the pick o' a rb could be argued as a waste.  real need for the giants were ol. 

compare:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_year_by_year.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/qbr_year_by_year.htm

which list o' guys got super bowl rings for their teams?

in today's nfl, is so tough to rationalize a rb at number two, but barkley is so darn good we cannot complain too loud 'bout the pick.

minkah fitzpatrick were our number 1 safety, but manifested should be happy 'cause derwin james were not far behind on the boards o' most experts-- surprised he were available for the chargers.  one knock on the guy is he don't have great field awareness... gets tunnel vision.

is wrong of us, but am hopeful we already have a preview o' baker mayfield's career as a cleveland qb.

punk.

cleveland draft were... curious.  

mike mcglinchey were the most solid ot in the draft.  even so, am gonna admit we were surprised he were picked at 10.  mcglinchey is a high character guy and am thinking such is needed in sf. kolton miller, on the other hand, would deserve to be a first round pick just as soon as every team in the league replaces their turf with cardboard, 'cause miller only looks good on paper.  fantastic combine workout for miller if you only looked at measurables. 

am knowing folks talk 'bout what a great qb class this were, but we didn't see it.  the only guy we saw as kinda a sneaky boom or bust guy were josh allen who physically looks like the prototype nfl qb, but has as low a floor as his ceiling is high.  oh, and allen has accuracy issues.  college qbs do not get more accurate in the nfl... although they sometimes look good for a single season. rosen and darnold were predicted to be top five picks last year and am thinking scouts didn't bother looking at film from this year.  neither pac ten qb looked great this year, save in flashes.  lamar jackson is an electric runner and a great thrower and he is gonna break ravens fans hearts.  jackson had a terrible wonderlic and his run first mentality is gonna doom him to a short and painful career punctuated by a few moments o' greatness.  

interesting draft overall, and as we noted already, is plenty o' arguable first round talent still available.  first picks tomorrow should be generating premium trade bait.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"I would be devestated if I was a Giants fan and they picked anything else but a QB with their first pick."

Nope. Don't need some back up QB. We have a 2 time SB MVP on our rost who has played pretty well the last few seasons. The difference last season was the defense being worse than their 11-5 season. Not to mention not having hteir superstar receiver healthy. Don't speak for Giant fans. That is just showing your ignorance. We need a true running back.

Eli is past his prime and he isn't getting any better. You need a new QB within 3 years at the latest and I don't think Giants will be in this good draft position the next three years. So picking a QB would have been perfect this year. Let the guy learn from Eli for a couple a years and then make the transition.

And I'm not speaking for any Giants fans. I'm just stating my opinion on a team and on a draft. No need to get so defensive about it.

Anyways, Packers. Can't complain. We needed a CB (as usual) and Denzel Ward was off the board already (as expected). So getting the second best one and a couple of draft picks is pretty good business.

I don't care about post Eli. What matters is putting the NY Elis into bets position to win NOW. Besides, don't they have their QB from last year's draft. You know the one they supposedly benched Eli for this season so they could try him out only to go with the other QB. LMAO

Barkley, if the hype is real,  is the running back we've been waiting for.

I don't care about post Eli. What matters is putting the NY Elis into bets position to win NOW. Besides, don't they have their QB from last year's draft. You know the one they supposedly benched Eli for this season so they could try him out only to go with the other QB. LMAO

Webb is a third round pick during last years draft. You can't compare him to Darnold or Rosen in my opinion. But with that said, there's never a guarantee even if you pick a QB at the first or second pick of the draft (Lex Browns). So we will see how it turns out.

as an aside, am assuming shaquem griffin is a day three guy, but perhaps he sneaks into late round three.  am thinking most teams who draft will be looking at him as a high character special teams guy, but with the right coaching staff, he is gonna get a chance to prove he is more than a feel good story.  is gonna need impress in practices, and with nflpa negotiated practice restrictions and limitations, griffin will have relative little opportunity to change hearts and minds.  

oh, and we didn't say anything 'bout the broncos draft 'cause they kinda had a no-lose opportunity with chubb and nelson available to 'em.  coulda' flipped a coin to decide 'tween the og and the de and would be an excellent pick regardless.  am thinking elway were as equal unimpressed by the qb options as were Gromnir, so were kinda the enviable choice o' deciding which great player to choose. 

browns were curious... both picks, but am gonna say first genuine surprise for us were the 49rs.  thought for sure they were gonna take minkah (sounds like a russian girl's name) or possibly even a lb given the foster news.  mike mcglinchey is a good player at a premium position and sf clear is wanting to protect their new qb investment.  even so, we didn't see it coming.  is not a bad pick, but am admitting surprise.

seems likely the colts trade one o' their early second round picks, but might actual be better to hold onto'em as there is good value...  unless they can transform one o' those picks into a first round pick next year.  will be interesting.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The problem is that NYG has spent the last 5 years trying to re-tool for a quick turnaround to relevance, and it has mostly just dug the hole deeper.  At some point, you have to look long-term and build to have a meaningful chance of contention over a span of years.

I'm no scout, but I can't like spending #2 overall on a player who has to be one of the 2 or 3 best in the whole league at his position to justify the contract he'll sign.  Rookies are supposed to be the bargains on a team's salary cap balance sheet, but Saquon comes at retail price.  If they weren't sold on any of the QBs (which I can understand), the right move was to seek a trade back, even if the offers on the table were a little lighter than historical precedent would indicate.  Based on how quicky the pick came in, they didn't even try.  I get that people think this guy is super-special, but the number of times that I've heard the "best RB prospect since Peterson/Tomlinson" line over the last decade has me skeptical.

• Like 1

browns were curious... both picks,

Given their Manziel experience, yes, taking Mayfield seems like they want to bomb at QB. Mayfield has potential though, so if he stays out of trouble it will most likely will be good. But it's a big if.

As for Ward I think it makes sense. The division has good throwing QB's, so they need to level up their CB squad. Ward was the best CB option in the draft (Minkah (love his name) could have been a reasonable choice too). I get why they went there.

"The problem is that NYG has spent the last 5 years trying to re-tool for a quick turnaround to relevance, and it has mostly just dug the hole deeper.  At some point, you have to look long-term and build to have a meaningful chance of contention over a span of years."

They were 11-5 just two seasons ago. NFL is notorious for quick turnarounds. Unless uoyu can get an A+ QB to replace Eli  it is stupid to replace him with crappier QBs.

draft is over and will provide thoughts later, though am honest not knowing too many o' the day-three-and-beyond guys other than what the pundits tell us, and repeating pundit pov is kinda pointless.

am actual most interested in an undrafted d3 player who signed with the bears.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926141/article/cb-michael-joseph-is-drafts-most-improbable-and-inspiring-story

the kid is raw and has never had proper nutrition and training, but am thinking he were actual a bit underrated based on what we saw from senior bowl game and practice tape.  for a 6' cb, he has loose hips and great change o' direction.  smooth backpedal. isn't intimidated by big receivers. has a nice closing gear too.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5SNnXIA53w

yeah, its d3 competition, but he did the same stuff at senior bowl and senior bowl practices.  am actual a bit surprised he weren't a day 3 pickup for some team.

HA! Good Fun!

So Packers signed a punter. They had plenty of picks obviously, but I thought Justin Vogel did a good job last season so I was really surprised. But then I read that the special teams coach wasn't a big fan of Vogel.

Packers needed to stack up on cornerbacks and got two of the four top rated, which also includes an extra pick in the first round 2019. It's all good in my book. Now here's hoping the secondary won't be abyssmal when the season starts.

Jets traded three second round draft picks to move up to 3 and got Sam Darnold, who many thought was the best QB in the draft. My first thought is I'm glad they didn't pick either Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen (both guys are boom or bust). Second thought was I hope Darnold is worth three second rounders and one number 3 overall pick. Give that they are the Jets and Darnold was a USC quarterback, I'm not holding my breath.