Politics Princess' Sweet Sixteen

Blarghagh

rotfl on Trump's recent pro-gun control and anti-due process comments. reddit's Trump subreddit is imploding right now.

(e): Also, Bruce, you may want to get out of South Africa: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5443599/White-South-African-farmers-removed-land.html

"[...] not calling for the slaughter of white people - at least for now." It's easy for an ethnic cleansing to transition to a genocide... Also, didn't Zimbabwe do this and essentially collapse as a result? Not exactly the best footsteps to follow in.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

rotfl on Trump's recent pro-gun control and anti-due process comments. reddit's Trump subreddit is imploding right now.

I'm surprised it took them this long. Given other pro-Trump places, I assume a lot of posters will get purged and it'll be considered 14d chess and that the forum always was pro-gun control.
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That is exactly what's happening, yes. Half the subreddit is going, "No no, guys, he's obviously planning something!", and the other half is dissenting and getting banned by the moderators for being "concern trolls", including a lot of long-time posters.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

That is exactly what's happening, yes. Half the subreddit is going, "No no, guys, he's obviously planning something!", and the other half is dissenting and getting banned by the moderators for being "concern trolls", including a lot of long-time posters.

No surprise that they're cannibalizing each other over there.

• Like 1

berni_laughing_23456.jpg
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"[...] not calling for the slaughter of white people - at least for now." It's easy for an ethnic cleansing to transition to a genocide... Also, didn't Zimbabwe do this and essentially collapse as a result? Not exactly the best footsteps to follow in.

Daily Fail link Barti? Really? Poster of your talents?

That law was proposed by Julius Malema's party of ANC defectors, ANC has lost a lot of support from sustained infighting and they may well have lost the vote if they opposed it due to their own members crossing the floor- and that would have potentially brought down the government, so they had little choice other than to formally support it. It's certainly ironic though, Ramaphosa was supposed to be a lot more economically rational than Zuma and on the first leg of his presidential race there's a law far more radical than any from Zuma's time; and that sort of law certainly was a very large component of what turned Zimbabwe from bread basket to basket case- and was repealed with extreme prejudice recently there. Didn't help that Mugabe's redistribution program was abjectly corrupt but I don't think there could be much confidence in the transparency of any South African redistribution.

• Like 1

I was going to put a warning that it was the DailyMail, but I forgot (...and also, I didn't know enough about the story itself to know whether or not anything was horribly inaccurate about it). Also, "poster of [my] talents"? What talents? :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-dianne-feinstein-erupt-with-glee-after-trump-seems-to-endorse-her-assault-weapons-ban/

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA), himself the victim of gun violence last year, next proposed a measure allowing concealed-carry permits to cross state lines — which Trump promptly dismissed.

“You’ll never get this passed if you add concealed carry to this,” the Republican president said.

You all know where I stand on Gun Control. But this notion of concealed carry reciprocity needs to stop.  I despise the notion of Big Brother telling law abiding citizens their private property which 99.99% has used responsibly, is now illegal. And I despise the notion of state governments telling law abiding citizens they must forego self defense and entrust their lives to the forbearance of people who respect no law and no morality. But every bit as much as those two I despise the federal government telling states how to run their business. The issuance and enforcement of concealed carry permits is a state matter and no one, especially not Uncle Sam, can tell the government and voters of a state how their state should be governed. 

As I have said in the past (and Gromnir has said a few posts ago) the whole notion of banning "assault weapons" is specious and based entirely on cosmetic distinctions made by people who do not know s--t about firearms.  Banning them does nothing other than make the expensive property of otherwise law abiding people illegal. And at LEAST 3/4 will not give them up. 

There is an understandable desire to do "something" in the wake of the two most recent events. And there are a few somethings that can be done. Raising the age of rifle purchases to the same has handguns (21) makes sense. I would definitely make a distinction between "purchase" and "ownership". It CAN be legal to own them without being legal to buy them. That protects weapons already owned as well as inheritance and gifts. Banning bump stocks and other accessories is a measured enough response I guess. I don't have a strong feeling about it one way or another. There are already numerous state laws that ban or limit the use of some accessories. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm also in favor of the "make our country not so terrible that apparently a bunch of people want to shoot up schools/each other" solution. Everything else is just symptom management at best. ...Of course, actually doing that is seemingly impossible, so back to symptom management we go.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I was going to put a warning that it was the DailyMail, but I forgot (...and also, I didn't know enough about the story itself to know whether or not anything was horribly inaccurate about it).

Didn't read the article (obviously, since it's the 'Fail) but I'd wager a small amount that they presented it as meaning that there would definitely be forfeitures as a result when it's still more of an 'under consideration' situation where it won't definitively happen. If there's a sensible and a sensationalist interpretation the 'Fail will always go for the latter: twice the sensationalism, double the page impressions after all.

Also, "poster of [my] talents"? What talents? :p

I am compelled to make Star Wars (or Alanis Morisette) quotes whenever I use the word 'ironic'. In this case it's Director Krennic from Rogue One.

Hey, I represent that! :( Yeah, I didn't have an alternative story to link instead.

What have I been saying? Democrats = Republicans, Republicans = Democrats. I'd say we need a third political party in this country but really we need a second one.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just can't comperhand how you can live in such black and white political spectrum.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What have I been saying? Democrats = Republicans, Republicans = Democrats. I'd say we need a third political party in this country but really we need a second one.

You keep basically saying that a giant turd is exactly the same as a bout of explosive diarrhea. They're both feces, but one is clearly preferable to the other.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Not from my perspective Pidesco.

Chill we DON’T have a black and white spectrum. That would actually be an improvement. At least then there is something to contrast.

Thomas Sowell

I just can't comperhand how you can live in such black and white political spectrum.

Chill we DON’T have a black and white spectrum. That would actually be an improvement. At least then there is something to contrast.

It just appears that way due to the two main parties being different from typical European parties in that they're big-tent parties.

*copy and paste somehow didn't grab chilloutmans name, but I'm not bothering to fix it here.

Alright BruceVC, what are the deets about this "dekulakization" going down in South Africa?

I'm hearing both reports of parliamentary land reform by fiat, but also populist mobs forcing people off their land. I've read some of these reforms are over-due resolutions, I've also seen it re-framed as the buddings of a genocide against whites.

Clearly a lot of biased reporters have a dog in this race, so it's hard to really get a good picture. I honestly don't know much about S.Africa's political climate, and nor do I think many of the people reporting due.

The most interesting parallel I've seen drawn is against Rhodesia/Zimbabwe but the analogy doesn't yet seem perfect. A collapsing of the agricultural sector does seem like it's at risk however.

Seems like the ANC is trying the mother of all flashbangs with this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Trade wars are good, and easy to win." -Trump this morning on waging economic warfare on our European allies.