Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part 2

With all the discussion this week of armor, Polish, and armor polish, I think we missed an important tweet.

I can only assume it's a physical manifestation of Wael.

Or a Waelite ability.

Wait, really?

I was trying to make a joke. 

My guess is that it's the VFX for one of the Symbol of Wael or Blessing of Wael spells.

I might have to reconsider my Wael-Nalpazca Contemplative and go single-classed...

Edited by Enoch

With all the discussion this week of armor, Polish, and armor polish, I think we missed an important tweet.

This reminds me of the second boss of Altered Beast (arcade) game.
Hail, fellow old dude

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

While we waste our time on frivolities, someone out there is asking the real questions.

That someone, by the way, is the writer Paul Dean. Josh interacts with him a lot on twitter-- this could very easily be an "in joke" between the two of them.

It's very reminiscent of Paul's sense of humour in his SU&SD reviews so it might not even be an in joke, just a joke.

This reminds me of the second boss of Altered Beast (arcade) game.
Hail, fellow old dude

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

*golf clap*
  • Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

First guess: Durgan’s Battery cannon

Second guess: Greek fire

And from a recent Kotaku-interview:

"So that has already been that way since Pillars I, but we still find that the majority of players make white, human, I think typically men, which is fine, but it's also interesting to see what they don't make. Almost no one makes dwarves.

We hear people say that they like dwarves, they like the dwarves in the world, everyone seems to be like, "Yeah, fantasy dwarves." But they don't make them. They want a companion who's a dwarf, but they don't want to make a dwarf. So it's an interesting sort of dichotomy where you see like, well they like priests, but they don't necessarily like making priests. They want to have a healer, they want to have a support character – but they want to make the two-handed sword-swinging psychotic.

We find this overwhelming tendency towards making devoted fighters who are the single weapon crazy people, and assassins. It's like the concept is very appealing, they do a tonne of damage, and people are just like, "Yeah, assassin. White dude assassin."

I make dwarves, truly I do!

I always try to play an unusual class and after getting my ass kicked a few times in the first fight, I start over as a fighter (or a rogue so I can scout ahead and don't get stumped by traps or locks). I'm doing it right now in the Deadfire beta. If you have to count on magic protection and good attacks that run out mid fight you have no choice but to hang back. That's a little like you're in the game's game if you know what I mean.

I look for characters that promise exciting interesting play and storyline. I don't play dwarves because they are (traditionally) slow and don't feel different enough to be compelling in spite of that. I've played Godlike in PoE but (I don't think) you can change the appearance so it hasn't become my thing. Everyone who plays is playing the same character and that doesn't appeal. I don't think I've ever played a human in an RPG. I've also never played as a white dude though I do in fact make the character resemble me as much as possible. :lol:

"So that has already been that way since Pillars I, but we still find that the majority of players make white, human, I think typically men, which is fine, but it's also interesting to see what they don't make. Almost no one makes dwarves.

We hear people say that they like dwarves, they like the dwarves in the world, everyone seems to be like, "Yeah, fantasy dwarves." But they don't make them. They want a companion who's a dwarf, but they don't want to make a dwarf. So it's an interesting sort of dichotomy where you see like, well they like priests, but they don't necessarily like making priests. They want to have a healer, they want to have a support character – but they want to make the two-handed sword-swinging psychotic.

We find this overwhelming tendency towards making devoted fighters who are the single weapon crazy people, and assassins. It's like the concept is very appealing, they do a tonne of damage, and people are just like, "Yeah, assassin. White dude assassin."

I always try to play an unusual class and after getting my ass kicked a few times in the first fight, I start over as a fighter (or a rogue so I can scout ahead and don't get stumped by traps or locks). I'm doing it right now in the Deadfire beta. If you have to count on magic protection and good attacks that run out mid fight you have no choice but to hang back. That's a little like you're in the game's game if you know what I mean.

I look for characters that promise exciting interesting play and storyline. I don't play dwarves because they are (traditionally) slow and don't feel different enough to be compelling in spite of that. I've played Godlike in PoE but (I don't think) you can change the appearance so it hasn't become my thing. Everyone who plays is playing the same character and that doesn't appeal. I don't think I've ever played a human in an RPG. I've also never played as a white dude though I do in fact make the character resemble me as much as possible. :lol:

I currently have 3 play throughs as a dwarf. A Barb, a Battle Priest of Magran and a Chanter (Solo). I love Dwarves. Borreals for exceptional DPS builds and Mountain Dwarves for more of a RP/Story experience. BGEEs brought us Dwarven Defenders. Played that class first upon the EE releases. I have 3 close friends who played PoE, they all played at least one completed game with a dwarf. I guess they can track metrics these days via Steam and what have you but that they are saying no one plays dwarves and no one plays Priests seems very odd to me.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

We hear people say that they like dwarves, they like the dwarves in the world, everyone seems to be like, "Yeah, fantasy dwarves." But they don't make them. They want a companion who's a dwarf, but they don't want to make a dwarf. So it's an interesting sort of dichotomy where you see like, well they like priests, but they don't necessarily like making priests. They want to have a healer, they want to have a support character – but they want to make the two-handed sword-swinging psychotic.

I currently have 3 play throughs as a dwarf. A Barb, a Battle Priest of Magran and a Chanter (Solo). I love Dwarves. Borreals for exceptional DPS builds and Mountain Dwarves for more of a RP/Story experience. BGEEs brought us Dwarven Defenders. Played that class first upon the EE releases. I have 3 close friends who played PoE, they all played at least one completed game with a dwarf. I guess they can track metrics these days via Steam and what have you but that they are saying no one plays dwarves and no one plays Priests seems very odd to me.

It doesn't seems odd to me. Play any MMORPGs and watch how many DPS they are compared to tank and healers (answers: healer and tanks are super rare) and the race distribution: dwarf is always at the bottom.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.