Deadfire Save Game State VS Save Importing

Hey there,

Signed up to ask a single question, and I apologize if it's been addressed, I just didn't see it.

When It comes to creating a save game state on the console editions, is the save game state creator (or whatever it is called) as detailed as if i was importing a save game from PoE1?

See, i first played it on PC, but I enjoyed it enough that I wanted it for Xbone. And despite that I was overjoyed to learn Deadfire was coming to Nintendo Switch. Have it transportable is simply the best thing ever. I'd love to have PoE2 on Switch more than any other console.

BUT... I don't want to purchase it on Switch if i'm going to recieve a lesser experience in terms of the save game state. While it would make me sad, I'd rather stay on Xbone if that's the case. 

Is there anybody that can clarify on this?

I am not really qualified to answer this, but I seem to recall in an article on precisely this topic it was mentioned there would be cameos and encounters which would be influenced by decisions ported over from a comprehensive save, which sort of suggests that selecting the initial variables at launch will be more general.

Sort of how like in Mass Effect many of the smaller quests, like negotiating to have a soldier's body autopsied, would only be referenced with an import.

Edited by Elkor_Alish

I find it unlikely that setting the state in the game will have as much specificity as importing a save - simply because that would mean there would be an overwhelming number of settings you would have to power through. That being said, I think you will only lose out on some very minor callback and changes - and considering your enthusiasm for being able to play Deadfire on the go, it might still be a good trade-off.

Besides, the console versions won't be out until Q4 of this year, while Deadfire will be out in the third of April, so you will have a fair bit of time to read up on how comprehensively you can set the game state (I have a hard time imagining that they will give you fewer states to set for the consoles than the PC - that would actively require work, and choosing dropdown values or setting a slider is a solved problem on consoles).

We really really don’t know. I would prefer if save creator would include all of the choices, so I can easily replay Deadfire without feeling I am missing out without going through PoE1. Josh said they want it to be a seperate program (so not in game editor) and that they plan to have main choices, and extra detailed one as an option. However, it was at the stage when editor hasn’t been made yet. It was never definitely specified how detailed (or undetailed) the editor will be.

Josh Sawyer was asked this in the most recent Q&A stream.

He said that the vast majority of decisions you made in the first game that will impact the second game will be included in the custom save state builder. So, there may be a few small things that will be caught if you import vs build your own, but the biggest reactive points will be accounted for.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Crap, I was hoping it would have everything since I don't have my "perfect" world state save 

I feel like anything NOT accounted for in the custom save state editor is probably so inconsequential that it will only bother you if you're autistic/OCD (if you even realize it's missing in the first place!)

As much as I loved the first game, it's LONG, and I don't want to replay just to change a couple minor things, so I'm going to put my faith in the save state editor.

This has been answered a number of times.  The default option where you do not import a save will let you make all your major choices that have big impact.  Will it ask you how you resolved say... the situation with the rival hunter clans in twin elms?  Probably not.  Will it be somewhat possible that might come up in game?  Maybe, hard to tell. 

I seriously doubt every possible thing that could come up in eternity 2 will be in the "save builder", otherwise there would be no incentive to import from the first game.  Additionally if everything were in it would mean one of two things. 

1: The build a save was really short, and very little actually imported which would suck. 

Or

2: the build a save would take forever and a day and massively spoil many things from Eternity one beyond even the main plot.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt every possible thing that could come up in eternity 2 will be in the "save builder", otherwise there would be no incentive to import from the first game.  Additionally if everything were in it would mean one of two things. 

1: The build a save was really short, and very little actually imported which would suck. 

Or

2: the build a save would take forever and a day and massively spoil many things from Eternity one beyond even the main plot.

Josh never encouraged importing save games from PoE1. While it is a feature, he always stated you will be able to start a new playthrough configuring everything that matters to your preferences. It has never been said that you will gain a bit of “advantage” by playing PoE1 first. There are no “golden pantaloons” for example.

As far as spoiler goes - Josh said the save creator will allow you configure main choices (end state of the world, companions etc. Would be my guess) and optional advanced options with smaller choices that get reactiviry. Let’s be honest, how much reactivity can there be - if there will be 20 references to minor choices from PoE1 I will be impressed, and that would be easy to set up within minutes.

• Like 2

I seriously doubt every possible thing that could come up in eternity 2 will be in the "save builder", otherwise there would be no incentive to import from the first game. Additionally if everything were in it would mean one of two things.

Or

Let’s be honest, how much reactivity can there be - if there will be 20 references to minor choices from PoE1 I will be impressed, and that would be easy to set up within minutes.

+1. Reactivity is one of my favorite facets of game design, but expecting a game to reference EVERYTHING is foolish.

I've played the Dragon Age series, and I use the Dragon Age Keep. There are plot points in the Keep that I believe are "red herrings" - they won't ever be recalled, but it makes the fans feel good to see it, and hey, better safe than sorry.

Okay guys lets play a game,  It is called Orlan Baby.  The orlan baby was a side quest.  Yes, a SIDE QUEST.  It has nothing to do with the main story at all,and could easily be totally skipped.

You could have resolved it by killing the baby, giving the baby to the son, I think it is possible to get the guy to accept the baby, or just killing everyone and keeping the baby for yourself.

If you did not do that last option, there is no way you should see the baby in Eternity 2.  Guess what the baby is confirmed for eternity 2.

Let's not even go into the potential impact of Raedric's Hold, did you sacrifice an aloth, or all sorts of other totally optional side quests.  Like I said, either the creator is going to be hella long, complex, and extremely spoilery for Eternity 1, or very few choices actually matter in Eternity 2.  Both are pretty big negatives in my opinion.

If you did not do that last option, there is no way you should see the baby in Eternity 2. Guess what the baby is confirmed for eternity 2.

Hold up, do you believe that because the orlan baby has been confirmed to appear in Deadfire, she will appear whether or not you kept her?

Because I think it's pretty obvious that only one of those choices is going to affect Deadfire.

Let's not even go into the potential impact of Raedric's Hold

...do you honestly believe what you did with Raedric is going to be relevant in Deadfire? Why??? I'm genuinely curious, where do you expect that to come up?

Let's not even go into the potential impact of Raedric's Hold, did you sacrifice an aloth, or all sorts of other totally optional side quests.  Like I said, either the creator is going to be hella long, complex, and extremely spoilery for Eternity 1, or very few choices actually matter in Eternity 2.  Both are pretty big negatives in my opinion.

You think that it's possible to "spoil" events of the first game in the sequel? It's a sequel. The events of the first game are known background.

Edit: If they weren't, there'd be literally no point in it being a direct sequel at all.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 2

If you did not do that last option, there is no way you should see the baby in Eternity 2. Guess what the baby is confirmed for eternity 2.

Hold up, do you believe that because the orlan baby has been confirmed to appear in Deadfire, she will appear whether or not you kept her?

Because I think it's pretty obvious that only one of those choices is going to affect Deadfire

The way I read Karkarov's post, it was more like: "There's confirmed reactivity for a choice that only a few players made".  So Obs aren't just providing reactivity for the major decisions (though probably also not every minor decision but 'adopting a baby' is significant enough to need a mention).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think you mean "adopting". :p

that's what I wrote ... am I missing something? (reasonably likely considering the lack of caffeine)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

If I iwmport my save as a Moon Godlike Druid, what are my Race/Class options going into Pillars 2?

JS: Unlimited. Importing a game versus starting a new game doesn't have any effect on what your available options are. If you want to follow your own internal gamer bushido and continue playing as a Moon Godlike Druid you can do that. But we changed a lot of things, so maybe you're like, I didn't have the option of multiclassing in the first game, so I want to be a Moon Godlike Druid/Fighter, or Druid/Paladin, or whatever you want.

And rather than put restrictions on what you can do with your imported save, that's up to you. It doesn't really make any difference mechanically or balance wise, so if you want to keep playing as the same character and just essentially recreate them, you can do that; if you want to change your stuff, you can do that too.

And, yes, it does make sense in the context of the story.

Source: Deadfire Q/A #8

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 2

Josh had a number of Pillars 1 import/world-state tweets tonight, with some screenshots of the interface for world-state creation.  Unfortunately, he didn't thread the tweets, so I'm just going to link each individual one with comments where particularly interesting.

"the only save game you can import for deadfire is an endgame save. however, if you don't want to import an endgame save, you will be able to select from one of several pre-made story states or set your own variables and save them out."

Tweet with some screenshots of the categories in which you'll be asked to set variables if you create a bespoke world-state within Deadfire.

A clear statement of the options for a new game, and a tweet to the effect that saves can't be edited.  (Nothing new here, IIRC.)

Selection screen for the pre-created world-states.  ("Keeper of Secrets" sounds interesting.  I assume that's the anti-Animancy approach?)

No special rewards for save import.  Also, Josh being cheeky.

"Everything Bad is legitimately awful. it assumes all of your companions died, you screwed up everything that could be screwed up, and you made vows to every god + violated every one of them."

"reminder that if you got eder, aloth, or pallegina killed in pillars 1 (or never recruited them) and import that save, they *will not* appear in your deadfire playthrough!"

Edit:  something went wacky with my links.  Trying to fix.

Edit 2:  I think that should do it.

• Like 2