The Outer Worlds Trademarks (Obsidian's AAA RPG?)

UrbaNebula

So I was digging around on Justia Trademarks out of interest, mainly looking for any new information on the Starfield trademark filed by Bethesda Game Studios. Out of interest I started looking into other projects, Fallout, New Vegas and so on, to see when they were filed and the different stages and so on. Basically, I was very bored. I then looked up Pillars of Eternity, and clicked through to the Obsidian page to see the other things they had filed and when. I was expecting to see things like Project Eternity, Tyranny and so on.

Then I noticed that just over a week ago there were four new trademarks filed for something called The Outer Worlds. These trademarks seem to include everything from videogame software to printed media to board/trading card games. You can see the trademarks for yourself here: https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/obsidian-entertainment-inc-1303648/

The only major reference I could find to the same title was a novel (first in a series) published in 2016, but I'm pretty sure that this is entirely unrelated: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outer-Worlds-Book-Epherian-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B01JVS6OU6

I'm certain that Obsidian would want to write and develop the story themselves, but the blurb from that page sounds exactly like the premise for a role playing adventure:

"An alien invasion sweeps across the galaxy. The hope of humanity rests with an exile from an ancient empire and his loyal crew. They must work together to save the human race from imminent extinction. High adventure on a galactic scale."

I don't know if any of this means anything, but knowing that Obsidian is working on Pillars 2 as well as a secret AAA RPG, this looks a lot like they are going all in with it. A tie in TCG, and printed media similar perhaps to the All Roads graphic novel which tied in with New Vegas?

Would be interesting to see what you guys think?

Edited by UrbaNebula
  • Like 11

The book looks to be part of a larger series whose proper title is The Epherian Chronicles (book 2), I'd say it's a coincidence in naming. I wouldn't imagine the author having a trademark on that title, but even if he did, the same trademark can be owned as long as it's distinguishes something that exists in a different domain. You could have a fantasy series called Dawn which would be different than the dish soap. Note that the trademark is for "Printed books in the field of computer and video games," I believe that is sufficiently a different domain.

Nice find, I would not be surprised that this surfaces as the Cainarsky project. It could be the Tyranny teams new thing, but I'm more inclined to think most of those people are moving onto the AAA title to push to completion. I wonder if we could find any other filings on Take-Two's end, potential under their new "Private Division" publishing label.

• Like 3

Take 2's Private Division parteners will keep the IP rights. That means that the Cain/Boyarsky AA rpg is an Obsidian trademark.

Not sure I follow. The Cainarsky rpg is with Private Division, and you're right that PD will own the IP rights. I don't see how that implies Obsidian will hold the trademark on that game. This could be for something else. Are you just guessing?

Now I don't know exactly how trademark issuance works, but patents can be issued to an individual then bequeathed to another party. So perhaps this is a way of Obsidian and Private Division insuring that only together can this IP be worked on.

Take 2's Private Division parteners will keep the IP rights. That means that the Cain/Boyarsky AA rpg is an Obsidian trademark.

Not sure I follow. The Cainarsky rpg is with Private Division, and you're right that PD will own the IP rights. I don't see how that implies Obsidian will hold the trademark on that game. This could be for something else. Are you just guessing?

Now I don't know exactly how trademark issuance works, but patents can be issued to an individual then bequeathed to another party. So perhaps this is a way of Obsidian and Private Division insuring that only together can this IP be worked on.

What he meant was that Private Division's partner companies will own the IPs, hence Obsidian (as the partner company) will own the IP on Project Indiana. Private Division holds publishing rights for the 1st game and sequels.

The specific details on the sequel rights haven't been released, but it should just mean that Obsidian can't take the IP and go ask EA to publish the game if Private Division wants to publish it. If PD passes on it, then Obsidian should be able to do what they please with the potential sequels.

• Like 3

Hate the living, love the dead.

What he meant was that Private Division's partner companies will own the IPs, hence Obsidian (as the partner company) will own the IP on Project Indiana. Private Division holds publishing rights for the 1st game and sequels.

The specific details on the sequel rights haven't been released, but it should just mean that Obsidian can't take the IP and go ask EA to publish the game if Private Division wants to publish it. If PD passes on it, then Obsidian should be able to do what they please with the potential sequels.

Ah, I didn't realize that was the arrangement. Thanks for clarifying! Yeah, so then as Labadal was saying.

http://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/interviews-and-opinion/66494/why-grand-theft-auto-giant-take-two-is-getting-into-indie-publishing-with-private-division/

Here's more about the deal PD has with it's partner companies. From that it could be interpeted that PD has the right to publish direct sequels to the game without the original developer, while the IP would still stay with the developer/partner company.

I don't know if this means anything, but knowing that Obsidian is working on Pillars 2 and a secret AAA RPG, this looks a lot like they are going all in with it. A tie in TCG, and printed media similar perhaps to the All Roads graphic novel which tied in with New Vegas?

Just because they registered the trademark for all of those domains doesn't mean they're actually going to use them. It's a "just in case" thing.

The main takeaway from your discovery is the title - The Outer Worlds.

I don't know if this means anything, but knowing that Obsidian is working on Pillars 2 and a secret AAA RPG, this looks a lot like they are going all in with it. A tie in TCG, and printed media similar perhaps to the All Roads graphic novel which tied in with New Vegas?

Just because they registered the trademark for all of those domains doesn't mean they're actually going to use them. It's a "just in case" thing.

The main takeaway from your discovery is the title - The Outer Worlds.

Though, looking at their partnership with Zero Radius Games (?) on Pillars of Eternity card game would suggest that they are actively looking on ways to benefit from their IPs and brands even outside computer games.

But yes, the title is the key information here.

"An alien invasion sweeps across the galaxy. The hope of humanity rests with an exile from an ancient empire and his loyal crew. They must work together to save the human race from imminent extinction. High adventure on a galactic scale."

That synopsis in italics - what ever it might mean here, if anything - at least sounds awfully generic and offputting. It's... baaaad.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

That synopsis in italics - what ever it might mean here, if anything - at least sounds awfully generic and offputting. It's... baaaad.

Well, the book got a pretty average score from what I can see. :p

I'm gonna assume that it's entirely coincidental and unrelated for the time being.

Edit: Oh God. It seems the gaming news sites have picked up on this now... starting to wish I hadn't mentioned that sodding book. :|

Edited by UrbaNebula
  • Like 2

Hmm, you folks don't know your Blade Runner! The film is loosely based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? In Philip K. D i c k 's book, the Outer Worlds is an integral part of the story.

Is this some fantastic Blade Runner game to give CD Project's Cyberpunk 2077 some competition?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmm, you folks don't know your Blade Runner! The film is loosely based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? In Philip K. D i c k 's book, the Outer Worlds is an integral part of the story.

Is this some fantastic Blade Runner game to give CD Project's Cyberpunk 2077 some competition?

Haven't read the source material, but a google search doesn't yield me anything. Mind elaborating?

Yeah, sure. In the book, there is something called metahumans (transformed humans). There are two main kinds: Chickenheads are not allowed to move to the Outer Worlds, while Andys aren't allowed to leave them. So, basically, the Outer Worlds are part of the world and planetary geography of the Blade Runner universe.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The Outer Worlds is a pretty generic term, I think it's pointless to speculate so far. 

I'm sure that book is unrelated, it looks like the same trashy generic B-grade sci-fi of which dozens are released per year.

• Like 1

Thanks, the only references I'm finding refer to it as the Off-world. Are you sure your remember the terminology correctly? I could just be searching poorly, I really should read that one day.

I read it a long time ago, so no, I'm not absolutely sure.

• Like 1

So after I posted this I discovered that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is coming out on the 3rd of April... the day I go back to work after ten days off...

It may have been announced prior to my post, but I don't care! This is a personal attack on me for finding their trademark filing. They clearly found out who I was, where I worked and when my holiday was booked, then went back in time and changed the release date to April 3rd!  ;(

Now sure, I could push my holiday back by a week but then they'll just delay it and I wouldn't want to bring that on you all. ;)

So after I posted this I discovered that Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is coming out on the 3rd of April... the day I go back to work after ten days off...

It may have been announced prior to my post, but I don't care! This is a personal attack on me for finding their trademark filing. They clearly found out who I was, where I worked and when my holiday was booked, then went back in time and changed the release date to April 3rd!  ;(

Now sure, I could push my holiday back by a week but then they'll just delay it and I wouldn't want to bring that on you all. ;)

This is where you buy a Nintendo Switch and surreptitiously play PoE2 on it at work.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

This is where you buy a Nintendo Switch and surreptitiously play PoE2 on it at work.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

• 2 weeks later...