Vacation suggestions

ShadySands

Come to Canada then, our racists will just mutter behind your back

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

visiting europe would be nice... if not for all the europeans.

sub-saharan africa and much of eastern europe (not all) is suffering less ack jassery than western europeans when dealing with Americans. am admitted having little experience with south americans in their native countries, so got little input save for to note how we genuine need make a south american trip eventual.  asians is weird split. vietnamese and chinese were great on our visits-- warm welcomes.  south koreans and japanese were... polite, but... 

also gonna observe how as a dark-skinned man, recent years has seen us receiving increasing chilly reception from locals in much o' europe.  for all the talk o' american racism, europeans as a whole is having a hard time with their recent refugee crisis and as an obvious minority o' enigmatic origin, we draw more than a little additional attention than we is accustomed to. not many lakota on the streets o' berlin, eh?  

HA! Good Fun!

Surprised that you as a dark skinned man got a better reception in Eastern Europe, than in Western Europe. I'm betting my pride on that you didn't go to Scandinavia? If you got a frosty reception there it's probably more that we're socially awkward, than any form of racism!

From what I've seen and read, Eastern Europe is far worse than Western Europe when it comes to racism - with more hate crimes and murders. Gonna be interesting to see how the world cup in football is gonna play out in Russia this summer, with Russian fans' tendency to do monkey-chants and alike.

Edited by Thingolfin

Surprised that you as a dark skinned man got a better reception in Eastern Europe, than in Western Europe. I'm betting my pride on that you didn't go to Scandinavia? If you got a frosty reception there it's probably more that we're socially awkward, than any form of racism!

From what I've seen and read, Eastern Europe is far worse than Western Europe when it comes to racism - with more hate crimes and murders. Gonna be interesting to see how the world cup in football is gonna play out in Russia this summer, with Russian fans' tendency to do monkey-chants and alike.

we mentioned how eastern europeans is general more friendly and less anti-american. have mentioned previous on these boards what a warm welcome we got in poland. gdansk is one o' our favorite places... anywhere.  3rd largest city in poland means it is relative small by our standards and while krakow and warsaw has become more cosmopolitan in recent years, gdansk stayed the smallish burgh we recalled. just a beautiful and friendly northern european town on the ocean with underappreciated food and entertainment opportunities. quaint is not a criticism.

our observation 'bout growing racial intolerance were as follows:

"also gonna observe how as a dark-skinned man, recent years has seen us receiving increasing chilly reception from locals in much o' europe.  for all the talk o' american racism, europeans as a whole is having a hard time with their recent refugee crisis and as an obvious minority o' enigmatic origin, we draw more than a little additional attention than we is accustomed to. not many lakota on the streets o' berlin, eh?"

the race problem were separate from our observations 'bout foreigners general friendliness and their dealings with americans.  the race issue is widespread and includes scandinavia based on our more recent short trips to sweden and denmark. however, am gonna concede we ain't been back to eastern europe recent, but based on news and other more personal sources, we would expect a different initial reception than the one we enjoyed previous... at least 'til it became obvious we were American and not north-african/middle eastern/whatever. we got dark skin and straightish black hair, so in the US we is often mistaken for mexican or puerto rican or middle eastern, depending on whatever bigotry the observer suffers. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am thinking we mentioned once how am pretty certain we caused a car accident in russia as a passing motorist gawked at us in surprise.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Talking about Trump is more likely to run into issues than anything else. Although from stuff I've read, you'll probably just get asked 'what the heck is going on with Trump' or asked for explaination from confused people. It's less that other countries are angry* at Trump and more that they're baffled.

*There are definetly things that other countries would be upset about as far as Trump goes.

I got a lot of stares in Russia but I like to think it's because I'm just so damned handsome :p

I know that feeling, such a curse.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

the race problem were separate from our observations 'bout foreigners general friendliness and their dealings with americans. the race issue is widespread and includes scandinavia based on our more recent short trips to sweden and denmark.

It's very widespread here and deeply concerning - and there's a very aggressive surge of xenophobia sweeping all of the western world. Friends and relatives who travel extensively in the US tell similar tales of a growing anomosity and racial divides though. I saw it Africa as well, Morroco in particular are really beginning to disdain white Europeans.

Not to say 'whatabout x' but more that this seems to be a growing global problem.

Fortune favors the bald.

Oh yeah, the divide between white Europeans and morrocans is huge. They're probably the most discriminated against group here. You know it's bad when you can't google an animal name anymore because all you get is pages using it as a slur for morrocan people.

Oh yeah, the divide between white Europeans and morrocans is huge. They're probably the most discriminated against group here. You know it's bad when you can't google an animal name anymore because all you get is pages using it as a slur for morrocan people.

Can I ask what animal name?

Those in Africa disliking Europeans due to the colonial history isn't new though.

Spain was a nice vacation, especially the southern coast. The Okavango Delta is a great trip, as is a cruise around the Galapagos combined with a visit to Machu Picchu. I'd like to take a trip to Antarctica, but I'm not sure what's the best places to visit.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 4 weeks later...

I think Indonesia is the best choice, it's not so expensive as luxury Europien resorts. What could be better than bright sunny beaches surrounded by a lush tropical paradise, I can watch live webcam at https://worldcams.tv/beaches/karma-beach from Bali for hours. Always wanted to visit this place. Hope one day I'll spend my vacation there too. 

Doesn't Bali have that erupting volcano (forget the name atm, A something) that has been belching ash (a massive problem for aircraft) for some time now? Not saying you shouldn't, just that you do have to take into account volcanoes which are belching ash at the time you take the vacation.

• 5 months later...

Thanks again everyone! I just booked a trip to Kauai for next month.

We kicked around a lot of the other suggestions but my wife is still a little apprehensive about another Eurotrip and most other things were a little too far and we only have an American amount of vacation days

tenor.gif?itemid=7853496

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Enjoy! Try the malasadas. I've always wanted to go there myself.

Also, if you enjoy films, they have lots of movie-themed tours owing to how much has been filmed there, including Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and Pirates of the Carribean. If there's a jungle in a movie, it's probably Kauai.

Can I ask what animal name?

Those in Africa disliking Europeans due to the colonial history isn't new though.

Let's just say it's a specific type of primate known for its furry coat and leave it at that. It's in bad taste enough that I don't want to repeat it.

Kauai is awesome. You should try the helicopter tour. You two should definitely check out the waterfalls. There are many but Opaekaa wasmy favorite.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

great photos! I just returned from my trip to Turkey. I'm fond of this coutry, its culture and cuisine. After this trip I decided to buy apartments in this city. I found local real estate company with the heard office in London and they helped me to find perfect Istanbul apartments for sale. Hope this year I'll buy my first property in Turkey. That's my old dream

Edited by gomeshelen
  • Like 1