Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dialogue in Obsidian Games

dialogue

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2997 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

man, those were the times when actors were versatile

https://youtu.be/CDSXCk5HSlo

You mean those were the times when actors were actors, not models put in front of a camera.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Or...

• Wormerine likes this

4ward

4ward

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

man, those were the times when actors were versatile

You mean those were the times when actors were actors, not models put in front of a camera.

yes :)

it's from the film 'court jester', there's more:

• Wormerine likes this

tinysalamander

tinysalamander

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 476 posts

I know. Imagine the horror of listening to the same voice even more :p

As long as they are all Edérs… ツ

• Lephys likes this

Julle1990

Julle1990

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Steam:JuLLe
  • Deadfire Backer

Full voice acting would be nice, but I'd also be fine with only main characters being completely voiced. This would make big difference to PoE1, since sometimes the first lines were voiced and the rest was text, and frankly that was a little annoying sometimes.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would plump for no voice acting, myself, but partial is also fine.

It is extraordinarily expensive and disruptive to do full voice acting for wordy RPGs - so much so that, in an alternate universe, gamers and devs are thinking what the hell is wrong with us. For better or for worse, it's now believed that gamers expect it, so companies have to go out and spend that extraordinary amount of money and effort to get it done - with the result that a lot of voice acting is awful to mediocre, and it has other effects (e.g. RPGs getting a word count cap, inability to edit writing after a very early point, etc). 

The point is that, OK, if you love voice acting, I don't want to attack you for that, all I'm saying is it's really costly to do it, and "other games did it" doesn't change that equation - it just means, whether by taking out super-risky bank loans, selling yourself to a publisher, compromising on your writing, etc., they decided to go for it. And I wouldn't like Obsidian to pay that cost for what I consider to be "nice if done well, not really a big deal."

• Leferd, Starwars, Night Stalker and 7 others like this

Valmy

Valmy

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 953 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have no interest in a game making all the sacrifices necessary to be fully voice acted. Nor am I particularly interested in having no Voice Acting at all.

So I guess I strongly disagree with you on this point.

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1294 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

All I want voiced is the narrator, because the opening scene really adds to the atmosphere. After from that, I'm not too fussed about voices. I think I speak for most of us when I say that we've been enjoying RPGs for years before voice overs became a thing. 

• captainfish likes this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Matt Mercer can voice entire game for all I care. I am horrible in recognising voice actors. I wouldn’t notice that McRee, Aloth, Eder and PC voice are the same person if I wouldn’t read it on IMDB. :-D

As long as they are all Edérs… ツ

Yes, that would be an exception.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Budget experts strike again :p

Facts not speculation.

Games were ejoyed back then without VO, true. Games were enjoyed back then in resolution 320x200x256 colors, also true. Games were enjoyed back then having blips from pc speaker for music, also true. Games were enjoyed back then with only controller the keyboard, also true.

• Bill Gates' Son and captainfish like this

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1294 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Facts not speculation.

Games were ejoyed back then without VO, true. Games were enjoyed back then in resolution 320x200x256 colors, also true. Games were enjoyed back then having blips from pc speaker for music, also true. Games were enjoyed back then with only controller the keyboard, also true.

Okay, sure, maybe we just made do with what was available. But look at this way: if you load up an old game from the 90s, the bad graphics will probably bother you. But I doubt the lack of VO will. 

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Facts not speculation.

Okay, sure, maybe we just made do with what was available. But look at this way: if you load up an old game from the 90s, the bad graphics will probably bother you. But I doubt the lack of VO will. 

Well, I loaded up some old adventures to play and, yes, the lack of VO bugged me :)  Even more than the graphics themselves tbh ('cause I believe old 2D graphics, when played in their original resolution -windowed- are still somewhat good).

Anyway it's a matter of personal preference and having VO with the ability to mute it I believe is better for everyone. Again I'm gonna point at DOS2 that did exactly this. You don't like the voices? No problem, mute them. You only like narrator? No problem mute everything except narrator. I mean how great is this, huh?

After all, VO is a modern day standard. I don't see why a game having people speak in it shouldn't have it.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
@Sedrefilos - If it cost nothing to add full (mutable) voice acting to the game I'd agree, but it does cost money. You are of course correct that we don't know have the details for Deadfire's budget, it the cost of full voice acting; but we do know that more voice acting will cost more money and that Deadfire's budget is finite. Given this, and the fact I find partial voice acting perfectly enjoyable when done well (and full voice acting actually detracts from my enjoyment when it's done badly), if rather Obsidian sacrifice voice acting rather than other sources of the game if they need to do either.

Of course if Obsidian do decide they have the money for full voice acting then that's great. I ain't against it in principle or anything.
  • illathid, KDubya, algroth and 1 other like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm rather fond of the partial-voice format in which all the dialogue is well-written and you mostly read it, but occasionally the character speaks a voiced line. It's usually either the first line in a given paragraph (for example, if you're just meeting them, it would probably be the "Mighty strange seeing an Elf around here... name's Vincent" line that just sort of embodies their general demeanor in the whole greeting paragraph), or it's just a line that's not even written, but embodies the general emotion behind what is written. Like, if they're going off on you for something, the voice might say "UhhhhhGH! I cannot be-LIEVE you right now!" or something. (Just an example... I'm not a pro writer, haha).

• Wormerine and captainfish like this

Quillon

Quillon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is extraordinarily expensive

Yeah its expensive but making it for only one language should be a mitigating factor, no? I mean if an AAA game that sells 2+ million copies can afford to have full VO in 3+ different languages, an AA game(deadfire) that's projected to sell around 1 million(I guess) should be able to for only one language, I think. Altho an Obsidian RPG usually contain a lot more lines of dialogue than most AAA titles :/

I like VO, give me full VO if you can afford to have it in your game and I don't usually notice bad VO in games but if I do notice any; its almost always because of badly written dialogue rather than bad voice acting.
  • Wormerine likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2997 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really liked what Pyre did with its VO. Essencially they didn't voice anything, but for each character they recorded multiple sound clips in made up language expresing their personality and mood. Worked pretty well, I think.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

good vo may make a well written character better.

good vo may improve a mediocre or one dimensional character

bad vo may ruin a good character.  

bad vo only makes a bad character laughable 'stead o' forgettable. 

and mediocre vo doesn't do a damn thing.

the limited vo in ps:t tended to enhance the game. the vo for kotor1 hk-47 transformed a one-trick-pony into a fan favorite. 'course the examples o' bad vo is legion.

if obsidian were an enormous studio with massive resources, am thinking they would prefer full vo, but obsidian ain't bethesda or blizzard. get a cast similar to ps:t to do full vo for deadfire would be nice, and no doubt implausibly expensive.  so instead, if obsidian could find a way to pay for full vo, am thinking it would necessarily tend towards competence rather than excellence.  

am not needing mediocre full vo and am not seeing a way for a developer such as obsidian to afford excellent vo.  am not seeing the value from such an investment.  vo is one o' those aspects for Gromnir which if not done well, am thinking is better to not do at all.  use saved monies to improve other aspects o' the game.

HA! Good Fun!

• illathid, Lephys, KDubya and 2 others like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1354 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My biggest problem with the notion of full VO is that in my experience with Obsidian games, the VO work has been patchy to say the least. I don't trust that more VO won't merely dilute what quality there is in the main cast further within a mire of badly-performed supporting characters.

Edited by algroth, 12 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Obsidian voice-over is always mediocre so I don't want voiceover is equal as argument to Obsidian games are buggy and upolished so I don't want polishing and bug fixing.

Obviously, when we talk about a wanted feature, we mean to be included done right not half-arsed.

If they come and tell us "look, we can fully voice the game but it's gonna be crap" I'm gonna say "no VO" too.

Edited by Sedrefilos, 12 December 2017 - 01:42 PM.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2304 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I really liked what Pyre did with its VO. Essencially they didn't voice anything, but for each character they recorded multiple sound clips in made up language expresing their personality and mood. Worked pretty well, I think.

I agree, but it's a different game.

• Wormerine likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dialogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users