Trump vs Talking Heads

Valsuelm

Dude, I got in to a discussion with some people on this forum because I said that women are not physically capable as man. They tried to convince me that it's only because of social norms/upbringing that women are weaker.

So no take anything anywhere on this forum with a grain of salt, but don't let that stop you from defending your point.

Hah, I remember that discussion. No one said anything of the sort.

That's really the thing, a lot of times people hear what they want to hear rather than actually engaging in a discussion. I am sure we all do it. We post something and expect that people will react in a certain way, and tailor our response to our expectations instead of the actual response.

• Like 2

oh, and the notion o' b00bs being pure muscle, while slight amusing, is not what we would call realism... though we has never asked for realism. btw, men have b00bs o' muscle... is called pectoralis major.

HA! Good Fun!

Nor do I find the notion of a women wearing plate and wielding a greataxe, while still doing any damage what you would call realism... But then here we are, waiting for a fantasy game with both, go figure.

https://youtu.be/7uPcBr-vogM

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

-video-

Yes, and? At least read the whole discussion, before trying to continue it.

well, you made a remark and interpreted in that you thought of women as incapable of fighting with great axes while in armour. Thought I’d briefly respond to that

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

well, you made a remark and interpreted in that you thought of women as incapable of fighting with great axes while in armour. Thought I’d briefly respond to that

By showing me women fighting women in mostly leather armor with regular axes. Show me one in full plate swinging a great axe or a great sword and...I would still tell you to go and read the whole discussion.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

are great axes (or anything like them) even a historical weapon? seems like they'd be unreasonably difficult to wield even for men...off to wikipedia

(e): and after like a minute of looking, the answer seems pretty much like a no.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That 2nd one isn't in an area I frequent much, but in the first thread you've got a lot of regulars like Shady and Monte supporting the idea that women struggle to meet certain physical requirements, while others argue that women can fire a gun as well as a man. Hardly comes across as anything like you characterized it.

Of course, maybe I'm just reading what I expect to read out of your statement.   :aiee:

are great axes (or anything like them) even a historical weapon? seems like they'd be unreasonably difficult to wield even for men...off to wikipedia

(e): and after like a minute of looking, the answer seems pretty much like a no.

'Classic' great axes probably weren't used much if at all, no. Even 2 handed swords weren't used much outside of specific contexts. On the other hand the typical guy in a medieval or dark age army was lucky to be wearing proper leather armour and equally lucky to have a proper weapon unless they were dual use ones like bows and spears. Knights and Men-at-Arms were very expensive, most armies used pressed feudal levies or if lucky, seasonally available yeoman to fill out numbers. Any peasant levy was likely to have a lot of great axe like weapons pressed into use though such as long handled mattocks, mallets or even scythes as well as short handled axes as they were agricultural implements able to be used at a pinch as (mostly ineffective) weapons.

• Like 1

Nobody likes Trump here and if you're neutral about Trump then you're automatically labeled by bigots as a Trump supporter. If you're for Trump, it could cause a war and expect personal attacks just because you're not "with them". Just a warning as people can be awfully closed-minded. Take anything politics on this forum with a grain of salt.

I forget you were the one whining about people being mean to Trump, right?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nobody likes Trump here and if you're neutral about Trump then you're automatically labeled by bigots as a Trump supporter. If you're for Trump, it could cause a war and expect personal attacks just because you're not "with them". Just a warning as people can be awfully closed-minded. Take anything politics on this forum with a grain of salt.

Whining? Nah, just questioning why every comment at that time had to be a direct knock to our president and disrespecting his family.

Then I was suddenly catagorized by ignorant people as a Trump supporter, and someone who voted for Trump. It seemed like people got really mad because I had made a good point and tried to act as if they knew my whole political stance for simply saying that I wouldn't join in.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

We've already kind of turned this into a political thread, but I'm going to post my response in the political thread since I don't want to contribute to derailing Valsuelm's thread more than I already have. I've avoided posted in the politics thread, but this is a trap of my own making and I guess it's time to be upfront about the issue. Meanwhile, the video was genius and, while I kind of took it to be a little anti-Trump, I mostly thought it was a funny little dig of the variety we had in days of relative halcyon. So, now that I've put myself in the middle of the discussion, I'd best hitch up my britches and own to a couple of things.

• Like 1

χαίρετε

It's all good, tbh I think we all know this was bound to become somehow twisted into a political thread before you or I came here lol but yeah, what people can be quick to assume or twist things in an instant on forums which was what my warning was about. Just as people assumed I was offended or had voted for Trump just for having a small difference of opinion (which for some reason became a bigger deal then I thought it ought to be), so like many of admins, I was simply trying to warn the OP of this in case he was Pro-Trump.

There also seems to be some confusion here that my feelings were hurt after being called a Trump supporter and that I put my tail behind my legs and ran. That is far from the truth, I stuck around for long after conversing about religeon, American extremists among other things. Again, just felt like a waste of time talking to peeps who assume. Not all of them but some. It's not a mature environment to me.

About the video, yeah, it was funny lol So is the guy in the park dressed up as Donald Trump :p

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Whining? Nah, just questioning why every comment at that time had to be a direct knock to our president and disrespecting his family.

Then I was suddenly catagorized by ignorant people as a Trump supporter, and someone who voted for Trump. It seemed like people got really mad because I had made a good point and tried to act as if they knew my whole political stance for simply saying that I wouldn't join in.

You made a good point in that? Well, whatever you want to believe.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hah, I remember that discussion. No one said anything of the sort.

That's really the thing, a lot of times people hear what they want to hear rather than actually engaging in a discussion. I am sure we all do it. We post something and expect that people will react in a certain way, and tailor our response to our expectations instead of the actual response.

Which is one of the reasons I tend to randomly link things in that amused / interested me without actually making any serious comment on them myself.

It's quirky to see what sort of reactions they get and from who, which reactions match mine, and which reactions let me think about things from a different perspective.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."