Reading through various threads there seems to be a general feeling that several classes, if not most, are lacking in active and/or passive choices. And there's already a huge thread in regards to the loss and distribution of PoE's generic talent pool to only certain classes in Deadfire. Which Obsidian already plans to partially address in the next update with extending some of those back to everyone in the Proficiency menu.
And it looks likes like Josh posted earlier today on Twitter that the next update will also remove spell restrictions for Priests and give them an extra bonus spell per spell level for even more options, including non-priest spells.
With that in mind I was inspired in the Engagement thread to re-familiarize myself with Dragon Age Inquisition's class abilities after someone mentioned one and in doing so more than few stood as being, at least broadly speaking, possibly suitable for Deadfire. So I'm curious what abilities from other RPGs with some re-imagining, or ones you just straight made up even, could fit in well in Deadfire and maybe help round out some of these classes which don't appear at the moment to be as well rounded and supported as they could/should be.
So here are a few abilities from DAI that stood out to me which I then gave a quick and dirty retooling/re-imagining to better conform to PoEs style:
- Payback Strike: A Modal or Passive where a Fighter receives X% chance of returning 150% of the dmg dealt to them by an enemy's melee ability and are Stunned for 6 secs, but enemy melee abilities now do ~20% more damage.
- Block and Slash: Active, but could be reworked as Modal or Passive, ability where if an enemy attacks you with a melee ability within ~3 seconds of activating block and slash you roll a check against their Reflex and if successful deal 200% of damage they would have dealt to you and Stunning them for 6 sec. Failing the check on Reflex results in them dealing 150% dmg on you and getting Stunned.
- War Cry: Active CoE that taunts enemies to engage you, check on their Will. For the next 10 seconds you receive 50% dmg bonus to disengagement attacks and X increase to their accuracy.
- Challenge: Active Ability; taunt one enemy into engaging with your for the next ~15 seconds, check on their Will, if successful they receive a 15% bonus to dmg for the duration.
- Ring of Pain: Active AoE: For ~15 seconds you deal X% more dmg based on how low your health is, lower your health the more dmg you do, but all enemies within 2.5 meters deal 25% more dmg for the duration.
- Line in the Sand: Friendly Target Spell; 6 meter radius enemies within range will engage target for the next 15 seconds. Target gains Hardy inspiration(+5 CON & +4 AR) for duration.
- To the Death: Active Ability. You and single target get locked in engagement with each other till one of you dies, with each getting a 25% increase in recovery and 5% increase in dmg every second.