A very quick plea for Obsidian (combat speed)

Starwars

At the moment, there appears to be two modes of speed in the game. Normal and Fast speed.

While combat pace is changed since the first game, PLEASE bring back a slow mode for the game. Please, please, please. I still find waaaaay too much stuff happens in too short a time when playing on the default speed in combat.

It would help the combat experience a *lot* for me, and probably other players who are a bit on the slower side in combat systems like this.

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 11

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I turned on Auto Slow Combat and it seemed fine, but I'm also getting a weird pause every second effect? Not sure if it's lag or a bug.

edit: it's probably this thing https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94361-party-member-about-to-finish-long-cast-autopause-triggers-on-normal-attacks/

Edited by Lamppost in Winter
  • Like 1

Slow mode from the first Pillars of Eternity is the default combat speed in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire.

It certainly doesn't feel slow...

Combat is way too confusing as is.

Feels more like Tyranny and less like POE.

Slow mode from the first Pillars of Eternity is the default combat speed in Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire.

Are you sure you are at normal speed?

I made the mistake to go in fast mode to explore around the village and the first time I got in combat after a text interaction it stayed in fast mode and I get the impression that combat fast mode is faster than out of combat fast mode.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

At the moment, there appears to be two modes of speed in the game. Normal and Fast speed.

While combat pace is changed since the first game, PLEASE bring back a slow mode for the game. Please, please, please. I still find waaaaay too much stuff happens in too short a time when playing on the default speed in combat.

It would help the combat experience a *lot* for me, and probably other players who are a bit on the slower side in combat systems like this.

I've played all my hours after the PoE1 beta in slow mode, and this does indeed feel too fast.

I wouldn't mind if they'd kept these modes, it was a great thing to have.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've played all my hours after the PoE1 beta in slow mode, and this does indeed feel too fast.

I wouldn't mind if they'd kept these modes, it was a great thing to have.

Same here. Most of the combat encounters in PoE (and Tyranny for that matter) for me was spent in slow mode, unless it was just cleaning up trash mobs. I have a very hard time with the default combat speed right now, especially if it's an encounter that is slightly complex.

I really hope they'll be able to add a slow mode, it's really impacting my enjoyment of the combat at the moment. The sum of my experience in PoE vs the Deadfire backer beta is currently that I find the combat to be *more* chaotic and hard to read because it's lacking a more relaxed pace. And the intent was to make the combat clearer and easier to manage.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Are you sure you are at normal speed?

I made the mistake to go in fast mode to explore around the village and the first time I got in combat after a text interaction it stayed in fast mode and I get the impression that combat fast mode is faster than out of combat fast mode.

I confirm, that's at normal speed.

Even then, when you engage 3+ opponents, you get an incomprehensible deluge of spells and skills, with the combat log filling so fast it's hard to track.

(loving how you can filter this or that character in the combat log now, by the way)

I've tried clicking on the slow button to no avail.

Might be because I ticked auto-slow combat in the game pausing options, will check later tonight.

Why do you need slow when there is pause?

Never used slow mode in PoE I.

Freaked out how long a 1 vs 1 can take (that includes just exchanging simple attacks)

Working day almost over, so I'm happily will drive home to test out beta...

Be responses I see it's already full of bugs, still that's what beta is for...

A pity that it's not Friday today :)

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam

I paused quite a lot in PoE1 (and Tyranny) as well, despite using slow mode most of the time.

I can pause all the time but I still have a hard time processing what actually happens between the pauses. The slow mode plus pausing made for a smooth playing experience for me. So far, playing the Deadfire beta feels frantic as hell.

Different strokes I guess but yeah...

• Like 4

I must concur that POE2 is MUCH faster than POE1. The game is crisp and beautiful with its fluid and quick animation but it is also a bit frantic at times. There definitely should be a slower mode available because as of now, I have to pause the game often just to see what has transpired.

+ options like this never hurt a game considering if someone is comfortable with the faster speed, they do not have to use the slower setting.

• Like 2

That's the point. POE in slow mode felt too slow, unrealistically so, but it was a better pace for the combat so most people used it. 

The only difference between Pillars of Eternity 2 in default speed and Pillars of Eternity 1 in slow mode is the way the animations are made. The animations are made to work with the slower combat speed so that everyone doesn't look like they're moving in slow motion.

So unless they sped up the combat without telling anyone or that change isn't in the beta for some reason (I am 100 percent sure that in one of the Q&As or backer updates they said that the default combat speed in POE2 is the slow mode from POE1, I just don't know which one), if you were able to play POE1 in slow mode and felt that the speed was fine, then you should be able to play POE2 at it's default speed. Especially because there's far fewer things to account for in any given moment since they cut out a party member and streamlined a lot of the combat stuff.

One thing I do think they need to do though is decrease Stride across the board. All of the characters feel to me as if they cross the screen too quickly, and especially in the sand pits on Poko Kohara it makes it feel like the characters are lacking in weight. The importance of positioning doesn't seem to be as emphasized as much as it was in the first game.

Edited by Novem

Eureka! I just found this dev reply in the bugs subforum:

We have removed slow mode from the game for now. Our goal for PoE 2 combat was to slow it down in general, and to essentially remove the need for slow mode. The option in the menu and button in the hud don't actually do anything anymore, we just haven't removed them yet. We're looking for feedback on how combat feels without it, so feel free to tell us what you think!

So, yeah, if we tell Obsidian that we think it's going too fast and that we'd love to have a new slow mode back, as it were, this is the right place to do so. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Eureka! I just found this dev reply in the bugs subforum:

We have removed slow mode from the game for now. Our goal for PoE 2 combat was to slow it down in general, and to essentially remove the need for slow mode. The option in the menu and button in the hud don't actually do anything anymore, we just haven't removed them yet. We're looking for feedback on how combat feels without it, so feel free to tell us what you think!

So, yeah, if we tell Obsidian that we think it's going too fast and that we'd love to have a new slow mode back, as it were, this is the right place to do so. :)

You are absolutely correct. Please keep posting how you feel about this change. This backer beta is the perfect opportunity for us as a team to get feedback, both positive and negative, about our new systems and the mechanics we've changed.

We're getting some great feedback and we really do appreciate everything our community has to say =)

• Like 6

I try my very best.

Combat resolves itself just as fast as it did in original Pillars, the only difference at the moment is spellcasters took a huge hit in usability.

With current cast/attack time numbers I think movement speed needs to be slowed significantly to not only balance combat but also slow combat resolution to what I think you were hoping to accomplish.  

If slowing movement speed isn't the right option for some reason then please please bring back slow mode so I don't have to spend 75% of every combat with the game paused.

• Like 3

My .02 on combat speed:

• Current combat speed is fine for a "normal" setting.
  • It can feel too fast at the beginning because a) we're facing lagufaeth, who are fast enemies; b) we are still getting used to new mechanics, which requires time to think our moves in combat.
  • Combat did not feel too fast for me when facing enemies like xaurips, delemgan, or wurms. After warming up to the mechanics, it felt all right against lagufaeth too.

However:

• A slow mode appears to be called for, if nothing else out of popular demand.
  • Increasing recovery times further won't do any good. In fact, it will do harm: Recovery times are already very slow. If you wear plate armor and wield a two-hander, you spend half the encounter staring at your idle guy doing nothing, which isn't fun.

I believe recovery times were good in PoE. If the problem was that we could reach 0 recovery and the team wanted to balance that, just reducing the number of bonuses to recovery that can be obtained and stack would do. Deadfire is not going to have Durgan steel enhancements, that I know of, which was a big contribution to reaching 0 recovery (I also don't believe it's a problem if it can be reached; you had to take very specific steps to achieve it.)

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Totally agree with @Climhazzard, if the combat speed is designed to be slowed down, then movement speed must be slowed down to be synchronized with other slow down changes. 

Currently only cast time and weapon speed is changed, but not movement speed. Which result in a lot slow attack to miss(out of range) because object move too fast.

• Like 3

Nope; I specified “that I know of” :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

My .02 on combat speed:

• Current combat speed is fine for a "normal" setting.
  • It can feel too fast at the beginning because a) we're facing lagufaeth, who are fast enemies; b) we are still getting used to new mechanics, which requires time to think our moves in combat.
  • Combat did not feel too fast for me when facing enemies like xaurips, delemgan, or wurms. After warming up to the mechanics, it felt all right against lagufaeth too.

As i have said in another thread, the combat speed is way too fast for me. And please dont suggest reduce recovery with this current speed is a solution. It will be worst.

We really need a way to slow down everything (and not only the movement speed).

And it doesn't only concerns the spell casting (almost useless at this time if you want to do some crowd control).

In POE1, i have to wait to cast my chanter invocations, here it's the opposite  :w00t: 

Well it's a beta...

Personnally, I CAN fight with normal mode. BUT

the major argument to use slow mode is : sometimes, there is two consecutives attacks (interval of 1,5-2 sec). AND there is a chance for the player to act before or between these two actions.

So, I always use slow mode in battle.

Edited by theBalthazar

Personnally, I CAN fight with normal mode. BUT

the major argument to use slow mode is : sometimes, there is two consecutives attacks (interval of 1,5-2 sec). AND there is a chance for the player to act before or between these two actions.

So, I always use slow mode in battle.

You're right. With this speed you just can't control the fight. For the time being, in concentrate on beefy characters.

But it's clearly not my play style ;(