Political Twelve Monkeys

Amentep

This stuff makes me miss WoD.

Did the massive Stalinist network finally get to him?

I absolutely love these exchanges.

Step 1: Make a strawman where post-million+ properties are the average old grandpa's house.

Step 2: Accuse others of making a strawman where the average old grandpa's house is a post-million+ property.

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit :lol:

Quoting someone is a strawman.
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Anyway,

Top US general says he would resist illegal nuclear strike order from Donald Trump

It would be interesting if someone went into detail and laid out exactly what makes a nuclear strike legal. And even if it's not, I'm thinking that any official openly refusing an order would be kissing their career goodbye.

This guy should be fired immediately for stupidity of the highest order.
Why? It is part of his job, in theory, to resist illegal orders. Probably harder to palate, a first strike to kill millions than other illegal stuff that gets done like civilian deaths in operations, etc.

The President is still bound by laws, he isn't an Emperor.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't insult the Big E that way :p  That's my wallpaper incidentally, best piece of 40k art I've seen

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stop crying over the rich. They are increasing their wealth at a tremendous clip right now while the average tax payer is struggling to make any gains.

So a family with a house and a car is top 1%? You have no idea, as always, what you talk about.

Another example of why US education is tanking.

What in the world are you talking about? We were discussing million dollar inheritances.

3% of homes in the US are worth a million dollars.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/trends/million-dollar-homes-2016/

You flipped out on Ben because he wanted to tax inheritance properties worth over a million dollars. 

This stuff makes me miss WoD.

Looking at average or median incomes per country also puts things into perspective. When it takes updwards of 20 years for half of the population to even earn a million dollars before tax the idea that a million dollar exempted inheritance tax hurts anyone suddenly becomes ludicrous.

Not that I would agree with a 85% tax rate. Inheritance should be treated like any other income and taxed accordingly. Because that's what it is. Income. The topic is just emotionally charged and almost always boils down to "the government wants to tap poor grandma's life savings" or "the government wants to make poor grandpa's family homeless" as if such edge cases were anything but strawmen. *shrug*

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Don't insult the Big E that way :p  That's my wallpaper incidentally, best piece of 40k art I've seen

Yeah this meme annoys me to no end, because while canonically the Emperor is by all accounts a horrible father and someone who doesn't really get people in general, he's not an incoherent babbling manchild.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Why though? I find large sums of inheritance very difficult if not impossible to justify. Anyone up for inheriting a large amount of money (over a million in this case) will have in all likelihood had access to a very high level of education and societal connectivity, giving him much of a head start and, realistically, practically guaranteeing him at leat a comfortable life. Is it really that far of a shot to then propose to use the remaining wealth to give other, less lucky people access to at least some level of good education?

The proposed inheritance model would benefit most members of society, while at the same time generating enormous amounts of money for the state to use. And it is not like I am taking away everything from the rich kids... if your parents inherent you 11 million, you still get 2.5 million which is a hell of a lot of money. And if it causes rich people to just go on huge shopping sprees in their late years, that’s not bad either - rather have the cash fluctuating through the markets than sitting around (at least that is how I have understood this matter in regards to the production of wealth in capitalism, do correct me if I’m wrong).

Essentially I guess my argument boils down to whoever is affected by the proposed tax is in no situation where he’d require this amount of money, while it is desperately needed elsewhere. And it’s not exactly like I’m leaving him moneyless either.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Look at this. people are still defending the theft of other people's money.  Why at epeople pro Nazi?

I bet you guys would feel the gov't would be justified to mass murder thes epeople if they refused to give up the money right? I mean,   it is acceptable for the gov't to steal. EVIL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Look at this. people are still defending the theft of other people's money. Why at epeople pro Nazi?

I bet you guys would feel the gov't would be justified to mass murder thes epeople if they refused to give up the money right? I mean, it is acceptable for the gov't to steal. EVIL.

stealing implies ownership

And everybody knows

Look at this. people are still defending the theft of other people's money. Why at epeople pro Nazi?

I bet you guys would feel the gov't would be justified to mass murder thes epeople if they refused to give up the money right? I mean, it is acceptable for the gov't to steal. EVIL.

So we don't own what we earn? Not exactly an incentive to work hard is it? Why be an engineer and deal with that stress when I can just pick apples. After all if the pay is the same why work harder?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"I find it funny that they'd tell a guy who wound up on the street because he lost his job to pull himself up by his bootstraps but millionaires should be coddled or else they'll end up homeless."

L0L

Because stating that someone shouldn't have the gov't steal 85% of their money is somehow 'coddling'. LMAO

And, what's this about the guy on the streets/ You are making stuff up again.

Only Nazi thieves belief it is okay for the gov't to steal 85% of someone's money. L0L

a dead persons money volo. They’re dead. They don’t care.

What makes your existence more important? You'll be joining soon enough. Maybe they "suffered" more in earning those millions than you ever will.

Never ceases to amaze how righteous people become when it comes to someone else's money.

My existence would be more important simply because I have one while they don’t anymore. Again, they’re dead.

It's a very self centered point of view which pretty much kills the altruistic nature of it from the start, never mind the logistics and morality.

So we don't own what we earn? Not exactly an incentive to work hard is it? Why be an engineer and deal with that stress when I can just pick apples. After all if the pay is the same why work harder?

We were talking about inheritances, which aren't really earned in a traditional sense. Although, I suppose I may have worked my way out of my own inheritance by not getting along with my parents.  :facepalm:

I don't really have a problem with the top 3% of estates being taxed on inheritances. I think it is actually a pretty conservative idea that you will not be taxed on the first million of inheritance. That is going to allow the vast majority of people to avoid taxes of inheritances. I think 85% after that million is an absurdly high number, but I'd rather start with the concept that 97% of estates will not be taxed and work on that 3% separately.  

edit: The ownership we are talking about is the estate of a deceased person. What rights do kin have that estate? We assume that property should be passed down, but where do we draw the line? Should my kids have access to my pension? I do have life insurance options, but they typically have certain costs involved.

Edited by Hurlshot

The problem is that what's the point of inheritance then if not to leave behind something that helps benefit ur next generation IF instead it's going into politicians funds and bigger government?

U don't actually think this will benefit the other people around us when we still allow tax money to fund businesses, private parties, golf, vacations, etc.

With inheritance u can chose who gets what u leave behind, with this it's instead MAINLY going to rich politicians and hopefully some will fall off onto other citizens but most likely no one who that person knew would benefit.

Edited by redneckdevil

The problem is that what's the point of inheritance then if not to leave behind something that helps benefit ur next generation IF instead it's going into politicians funds and bigger government?

So the complaint is that corrupted crooks in government will pocket the money? I can understand the concern.

Would you be more open to tax exemptions on inheritance in the case of donations to non-profits? Say... starting at 85% of the estate's worth beyond the first million.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Late to the fun, but an inheritance of 1mil is nothing spectacular... I mean, average middle class family has that much of net worth... couple cars, 3-4 bedroom (parents and 2-3 kids) house made of decent materials instead of wicker and cheapest wood, with some garden - some savings and other assets

Now obviously if you'd like to split between each kid, that might not exceed 1mil per head, but still, it might not be that uncommon. A ****ty shack in Vancouver in Canada costs 500k.

Edited by Darkpriest

A dead! person doesn’t own anything

And everybody knows

Capitalist: How dare you think you’re entitled to the wealth someone else produced?

Also capitalist: How dare you think kids aren’t entitled to what their parents produced?

And everybody knows

Not that I would agree with a 85% tax rate. Inheritance should be treated like any other income and taxed accordingly. Because that's what it is. Income.

That "income" has already been taxed on the original earner. Now it should be taxed again because it was given to another? If I spot you a $20 for lunch, should you be taxed on it? Its "income" after all. :yes:

• Like 2

We were talking about inheritances, which aren't really earned in a traditional sense. Although, I suppose I may have worked my way out of my own inheritance by not getting along with my parents.  :facepalm:

I don't really have a problem with the top 3% of estates being taxed on inheritances. I think it is actually a pretty conservative idea that you will not be taxed on the first million of inheritance. That is going to allow the vast majority of people to avoid taxes of inheritances. I think 85% after that million is an absurdly high number, but I'd rather start with the concept that 97% of estates will not be taxed and work on that 3% separately.  

edit: The ownership we are talking about is the estate of a deceased person. What rights do kin have that estate? We assume that property should be passed down, but where do we draw the line? Should my kids have access to my pension? I do have life insurance options, but they typically have certain costs involved.

Doh! Sorry Ben. Here I go jumping into the middle of a conversation without reading what came before!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell