You did WHAT...?!

Amentep

So today in a meeting, I was told about how we have to send out TPS reports at the end of each Friday. Yes, really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sometimes the worst part of being a writer is meeting other writers. Science-Fiction writers might just be the biggest tossup of the lot. Because sometimes you meet a guy who thinks he's the smartest person in the world who has everything all figured out, and then he opens his mouth and...

I met a guy yesterday who told me about his book. He told me the main reason he even wrote it is because he's read so many other time travel novels and all of them were unbelievable with ridiculous nonsense as a vehicle for time travel, but not him. OH NO. You see he has it figured out because he read an article about DNA one time. You see there's all this junk DNA in your system, if you could just find the part of it that has your position in time and alter that, you could travel through time. He seemed very proud of this and somewhat confident it might be discovered in the future.

But you know what, that's actually fairly normal when dealing with science-fiction writers who are passionate for their craft. If you had heard as many bits about quantum consciousness as I have, you'd be a bit numb to this sort of thing. So I don't mind it too much. But things don't stop there.

Between him talking and the Amazon description, I sort of sussed out what his novel was about. It's about a guy so upset with US politics (circa 2012/2013), so certain the US is on the path to destruction and insolvency, that he hatches a plan to fix it by travelling to the past. Where he tries to save the US by helping the South win the Civil War.

Naturally I just nod my head and pretend to be interested, try not to let the look of sheer terror show on my face.

wouldn’t that just mean that in the end, the communists win?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Trying to work on a Data Science assignment and getting lost.

A series of sections that go in stages involving the MusicBrainz database, but its that..establish a batch of sql queries which isn't an issue, but understanding how Musicbrainz works, the relationships between tables and just what information is where is a bit of a nightmare.

Then the create python script that will connect to the database, run the sql queries, and then print it out as an xml document.  Then do it again, but instead producing json.

Then flip it again to have a python script connecting to a MongoDB database to insert the JSON documents you produced earlier...

Before wrapping it up by redoing all those queries in Javascript to execute on the MongoDB you created...

The more I search on how to do any of it, the more I end up in overly complicated solutions and advanced areas that are way beyond what I'm trying to deal with. It is surprisingly hard to find some simple basic explanations of how to handle that sort of combination of elements.

I think tis time for a break. Maybe a short hour of Saints Row insanity to soothe things before I return to it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Some parked idiot opened his door just as I biked past, I went flying and got a slight concussion a bruised knee and a smashed Ipad. I'm supposed to feel relieved that I got off with a few scratches. I suppose I am.

Just annoyed that I didn't get him to pay for my Ipad, only found out later. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This year we decided to dress up for a halloween party as a family. We went with Power Rangers. But then my daughter changed her mind and decided to be Sheila from Army of Darkness. I'm torn between happiness and sadness. She does look great though. :p

Downside to living in a house is trick or treating, back in our condo it was nicer. Family likes giving these kids candy so I have to waste my night giving it out to the ungrateful ****ers. Hopefully it rains on Tuesday :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Downside to living in a house is trick or treating, back in our condo it was nicer. Family likes giving these kids candy so I have to waste my night giving it out to the ungrateful ****ers. Hopefully it rains on Tuesday :p

I have to work Tuesday night, so I have an excuse for not buying a bunch of candy and handing it out to kids.  Last year I gave out some $30 worth of candy.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Photos of the results:

22852905_10214162377164231_1843455038761

I'm unsure if I'm supposed to think this is cute or a warning that kids will **** up group themes on a whim.

I buy candy every year and just put it in the building lobby.

I'll probably dress up as a sexy ninja so that way I don't have to buy a costume.

I go as John Constantine because all I have to do is put on a trenchcoat.

I just saw the new blade runner. Definitely better than the old one.

Sometimes I like you Ben, but you've got some **** taste.
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

*waves @ all* ... just one of my occasional speedy fly-by's. Hope all is well with you all.

@Hurlshot - those costumes are awesome.

I've spent the past 20 years wearing zero jewelry but recently have had an irrational hankering for a lot of metal on my fingers/wrists. Which led to the discovery that Amazon has tons of cheap silver jewelry items (I've always preferred silver). Back in the 80's/90's I used to go to local jewelry fairs a few times a year for such things but clicking the "buy" button is so much easier. I might be in shopping-addiction trouble, now.

rings01.jpg

I've been contemplating taking a TEFL certification course in San Francisco, just in case I ever decide to use that sort of option for staying in S. Korea for a few months or something, before I become truly old. Which isn't to say that's a firm plan at this moment. But it's on my mind. Not sure what hubby would think of it however. eg, I doubt he'd want or be able to go with me.

Also, I turned 49 this month. I'll post another selfie when I'm 59, which means I expect most/all of you to still be hanging around or dropping in, now and then, at that time,  ok? :sorcerer:

selfp-09.jpg

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It’s much better. The philosophical implications of the idea of “replicants” were explored much more in depth.

The philosophical references alone. Rick Dekart and René Decart. Joe K, the two names of the main character, and Joseph K, Kafkas character.

The main question the movie is of course asking, is what truly differentiates us humans from machines. And by making the main character a replicant, we see so much more nuance:

The main character is a product, but he appears to us more human than the actual humans in the movie. This becomes even more clear with the character of his Hologram lover. This blurrs the line between human and product; which is easily understandable as a critique of capitalism. Of course, this analogy holds true across many themes such as the usage of the replicants (essentially the proletariat). The difference between human and product is further explored. The most fundamentally human character attributes are all seen amongst machines and even just holograms: Love, sex, nudity (an age old symbol for “human”), childbirth and family. There’s also a heavy use of symbolism - water for example - but I didn’t quite understand that yet.

Also, silver is indeed a quite beautiful colour.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Happy Birthday LadyCrimson!  :biggrin:

This year for Halloween I'm going as a pizza delivery driver.  Because I'm a method actor and committed to my art, I'm going to actually deliver pizzas for maximum realism.  :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Happy birthday LadyCrimson! :)

Need to go to bed early today, got an appointment with my doctor in 8 hours, just got home from work. >-< Forced overtime sure bit me in the ass this time.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken