Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

An example of the analogue vs digital - Paramount rereleased all of the original Star Trek films on BluRay, but they didn't re-release the "Director's cut" of The Motion Picture - because the special effects were all digitally done and would need to be completely redone for BluRay but the original film release required no additional work.

Not to mention all that work for The Motion Picture of all things. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Wonder Woman. It was a solid superhero flick but nothing amazazing. Maybe there was too much hype so it didn't quite live up to what I was expecting.

similar feelings.  weren't as bad as amazing spider-man 2, but am not having to rearrange our top ten.  were a "solid" film, but nothing more. gadot were meh playing the naive heroine who learns, apparently, to save the world with love... by kicking ares' arse and killing a bunch o' germans.  yet another supermodel-trying-to-be-an-actress, but somehow 'cause this supermodel is playing wonder woman, it is empowering?  even so, we didn't hate gadot, but we did much prefer when she stopped talking and the action sequences started... though more wire-fu than necessary. gadot looked pretty, but in any other movie such an observation would be attacked as misogynistic or a microaggression or worse.

biggest disappointment: the villains were a waste o' extraordinary acting talent. whether you like 'em or not, dc flicks has made certain their villains is well-developed.  perhaps we woulda' all been better off with a little less lex luthor in bats v. supe, but in general the flaw o' dc films is not underdeveloped villains.  wonder woman focused on the protagonist w/o much concern for the antagonists.  am kinda sad ww were so successful as am hopeful dc doesn't abandon their villains in future films. flaw in our character that we almost invariably prefer the villains. 

oddest observation: kinda liked chris pine in ww.  chris did a fair job o' supporting gadot.  patty jenkins, while clear understanding her movie were gonna be a feminist vehicle, didn't throw chris pine/steve trevor under the bus.  am thinking ms. jenkins deserves much credit for allowing chris pine to be heroic and vital in a movie wherein gadot's character were the protagonist.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, Chris Pine and his character were a stand-out in the film, and I do agree that it is a solid flick but not amazing. I reckon that is an amazing feat within the context of the DCEU so far, though. I did quite like David Thewlis in the film too, though I agree that Danny Huston and Elena Anaya could have been given more to do.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The villain and final encounter were my least favorite thing about Wonder Women. Overall I found it very enjoyable. It kind of stands as a third pillar compared to Marvel-formula and DC-formula. Much like Ang Lee's Hulk does.

Same thoughts here. I didn't think the last 20 to 30 minutes of the film were anything special. The villain (Ares?) was boring and maybe it's just the way they interjected him but he didn't seem powerful at all.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Funny, the villain and final encounter is usually what I find the most boring and annoying in ANY superhero movie. Seriously, of the top of my head right now, I don't remember any that I really liked. Especially if they go all out in super CGI that's usually when my brain shuts off and I could nick away.

/Edit: Except the Nolan's Batman movies. I still like them the most.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Nah, there was nothing wrong with Angelina.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Funny, the villain and final encounter is usually what I find the most boring and annoying in ANY superhero movie. Seriously, of the top of my head right now, I don't remember any that I really liked. Especially if they go all out in super CGI that's usually when my brain shuts off and I could nick away.

/Edit: Except the Nolan's Batman movies. I still like them the most.

Agreed. Doesn't help that the villains are rarely focused on lately. The only ones I've liked recently were the ones with a funny twist. I.e. Dormammu, I've come to bargain! Civil War didn't have them fight a big villain and ended all the better for it.

• Like 1

I found the trailer to look incredibly bland myself. Not a single shot or set-piece caught my eye, while the dialogue was, as usual nowadays with these trailers, very trite. I don't see how this'll turn out particularly different to the Angelina Jolie film.

For reference...

Edited by algroth

I found the trailer to look incredibly bland myself. Not a single shot or set-piece caught my eye, while the dialogue was, as usual nowadays with these trailers, very trite. I don't see how this'll turn out particularly different to the Angelina Jolie film.

Walter Goggins caught my attention. That guy is routinely the best part of everything he is in (Except Vice Principals, and that's because Danny McBride is so gosh darned charming.) Also fun to see the guy from Shaun of the Dead.

I honestly don't see how it looks anything like the Angelina Jolie films. Those looked like standard action adventures. The tone of this looks more serious with a focus on the story. It might turn out to be a bomb just the same, but it is a different approach, much like the recent games have changed the approach.

I'm rooting for a good video game movie.  

As I understand it, the order for print is master negative for the film (the one that is used to make the master interpositive), the master interpositive (that's used to make the master positive) or the master positive.    As long as one has managed to escape vinegar sydrome, you can probably make a pretty decent print of the film.

After that you get workprints (a positive made without an interpositive), video editing screeners, etc. If all else fails, you bung whatever you got into whatever conversion/editing suit you have, do the best you can and put a note before the film letting the audience know that the master is missing and this is the best you can do picture wise.

One thing to be careful of, is that there are a number of cases of modern analog to digital film transfers stuffing up "day for night" shots by auto correcting them back to day. Awkward.

An example of the analogue vs digital - Paramount rereleased all of the original Star Trek films on BluRay, but they didn't re-release the "Director's cut" of The Motion Picture - because the special effects were all digitally done and would need to be completely redone for BluRay but the original film release required no additional work.

Didn't something like that bugger up the hd release of Buffy, the tried to convert the original 4:3 to 16:9 and messed up the scene structure, plus the original effects were over compensated digitally.

If the TV show wasn't shot native in 16:9, they end up cropping a 4:3 at the top and bottom which can stuff up framing (very noticible in close-ups) and show a lot of grain on effects shots since they get processed multiple times - as I understand it.

Babylon 5 suffers from this (and weirdly too, as allegedly it was shot in 16:9, but instead of going back and remastering the original negatives, they took the TV image and cut it down).  I think Buffy might encounter a similar problem (particularly as, I don't think the early seasons were shot for wide-screen).

Not to mention all that work for The Motion Picture of all things. ;)

I'm that rare person who actually likes TMP though...IMO there can't be enough minutes devoted to lovingly panning up and down the model of the Enterprise. ;)

I keed, I keed - I do like TMP but sometimes its despite itself.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Walter Goggins caught my attention. That guy is routinely the best part of everything he is in (Except Vice Principals, and that's because Danny McBride is so gosh darned charming.) Also fun to see the guy from Shaun of the Dead.

I honestly don't see how it looks anything like the Angelina Jolie films. Those looked like standard action adventures. The tone of this looks more serious with a focus on the story. It might turn out to be a bomb just the same, but it is a different approach, much like the recent games have changed the approach.

I'm rooting for a good video game movie.  

I don't disagree that Jolie's films are standard action adventures but I hardly see how this one is any different. I see nothing in the trailer that might make me think otherwise, really. I'm also rooting for a good video game movie but what I'm seeing here is the same faults at play once more.

Edited by algroth

Yeah, that trailer looks like the usual family evening adventure thingy to me. Maybe it's a little more violent or something, but other than that...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."