Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

Finally got around to watching Alien:Covenant.

The first 40ish minutes had me mildly interested but as soon as they reached the planet I started groaning at all the horror-101 stupidity cliches. Send nearly all of your crew down. No helmets. "Trick" ending things that trick no one in the audience. They even had a shower scene for crying out loud. I had to pause the movie twice and putter in the kitchen for a few minutes each time in order to tolerate it. The aliens, visuals, music/sound effects were effective/good and Katherine Waterson at least convinced me her chr. had some common sense. Fassbender's performance, just like in Prometheus, is the main draw of this film. Did I hate the movie? No. It just wasn't good/distracting enough to be able to make me ignore the idiocy, like some movies can/do. I mean I can rewatch the original Alien and have more sympathy for every single one of those crew members than I did for anyone in Covenant. Talk about death by number.

The David character kept making me think of Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw chr. A psychotic with delusions of grandeur version, of course but...I wonder if that was a somewhat intentional influence or if it's just that such themes re: artificial/created beings have become rather universal. I'd still kill for a good mini-series or movie trilogy of one or more of the Robot Novels, and Fassbender might make a pretty good Daneel. Not sure who would play Elijah Baley tho. :)

I think I posted this before but here goes nothing:

Still laughing out loud every time I watch it. Or would, if I weren't weeping for the franchise.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

With Star Wars back, Avatar coming back, Marvel being bigger than ever with DC on their heels. It seems like there is no place for a big new franchise based on a popular book series.

I kind of miss an exciting book driven movie franchise dominating the box offices. Lotr, HP, HG, and now... a failed attempt at Dark Tower. They keeping throwing Stephen King against the wall to see what sticks, shame his one long form series was basically sent to die.

" They keeping throwing Stephen King against the wall to see what sticks, shame his one long form series was basically sent to die."

(The film) It worked but that's because they cared. Nobody cared about the Dark Tower. I mean it was 95 minutes long. You can't make an epic movie out of that. They thought their two stars would be enough. FAIL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Thor Ragnarok

While I watched it, I thought it was pretty good, but on reflection, not much depth, it felt more like a parody, with all the comedy, great SFX, Blanchette is very good in it too, but overall, a bit meh.

MCU has made Thor a comedy relief, which is strange because he never really was in the comics or any of the cartoons... well unless we're talking about Throg (Frog version of Thor). MCU has pretty much given Thor the "All brawns, no brain" element which makes him not unlike Hercules or Conan The Barbarian. I guess it makes sense that they would do that on the screen though, it seems to tranlate well.

I can't wait for Black Panther. I only hope they introdce some more hero movies (with different heroes).

But yes, Marvel movies squash the DC movies... the same can't be said for the tv shows. Marvel tv shows aren't doing so well while DC tv series such as Smallville, Arrow, etc remain top rated. Strange but that's just the way things work I guess.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I think that could be said for most trilogies out there lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

This movie looks to be what 10,000 BC should have been.

I don't know why I cried, I guess I'm a sucker for dog movies even though I never see them since I dread thinking that the dog might die.
I don't blame you. I will never again watch Marley and Me :(

Neither will I, but not because the dog dies. :grin:

Alpha looks about as preposterous as 10.000 B.C. and even less aware of it, doubt I'll be checking it out.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Alpha doesn't look bad at all, imo but I think it will be only for a niche audience and of course it won't sell crazy like Thor or something but then again, I think we all know that the production team knows that.

Animal lovers will definitey go see it as well as cave-people/tribal fans. I really don't fo see movies in theater alot so I'll probably see it on my phone.

I think both mostly suck. Near the end of any Marvel or DC movie I get tired and partly fall asleep. :>

That's pretty much been my experience as well. DC has had such low lows, but there's actually been a couple that I moderately enjoyed...Marvel, on the other hand, I'd characterize as being consistently mediocre/bleh all the way down, but never really quite "turn the TV off" terrible like some of DC's movies have been. Watchable, but not really very enjoyable. So I guess I'd rather waste my time taking a chance on a DC movie than another predictably mediocre Marvel movie.

Heathers. I knew nothing about the movie except that Winona Ryder from Stranger Things was in it, and nearly turned it off 20 minutes in, but it was literally right as I was seconds away from turning it off that it suddenly became a lot more interesting, and I actually ended up liking it. Weird movie, but fun.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Looks like a movie about the domestication of dogs. :lol:

It is, literally! Lol
  • Like 1

With 10,000 BC it was a sabertooth tiger/lion I believe

When Far Cry Primal was revealed I was like... oh boy, the boys at Ubi most be fans of the movie :D

" They keeping throwing Stephen King against the wall to see what sticks, shame his one long form series was basically sent to die."

(The film) It worked but that's because they cared. Nobody cared about the Dark Tower. I mean it was 95 minutes long. You can't make an epic movie out of that. They thought their two stars would be enough. FAIL.

I think with Dark Tower, WB wasn't sure what to do.  Remember their plan was to do the movie (set in a cycle after the book series) and then a prequel series (about a younger Roland from a cycle before the book series).  I think they needed to be thinking more about plot than their long term media plans...

Thor Ragnarok

While I watched it, I thought it was pretty good, but on reflection, not much depth, it felt more like a parody, with all the comedy, great SFX, Blanchette is very good in it too, but overall, a bit meh.

MCU has made Thor a comedy relief, which is strange because he never really was in the comics or any of the cartoons... well unless we're talking about Throg (Frog version of Thor). MCU has pretty much given Thor the "All brawns, no brain" element which makes him not unlike Hercules or Conan The Barbarian. I guess it makes sense that they would do that on the screen though, it seems to tranlate well.

I can't wait for Black Panther. I only hope they introdce some more hero movies (with different heroes).

But yes, Marvel movies squash the DC movies... the same can't be said for the tv shows. Marvel tv shows aren't doing so well while DC tv series such as Smallville, Arrow, etc remain top rated. Strange but that's just the way things work I guess.

The director said he was influenced heavily by BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA and saw Thor as kind of a Jack Burton character.  I can see it in the way they presented him.  He's not dumb, but he's also clearly not the smartest person either.  And his ego gets in the way, but he has a good heart and a lot of determination.

I couldn't even tell you what 10,000 BC was about.

About 109 minutes, according to IMDB.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think both mostly suck. Near the end of any Marvel or DC movie I get tired and partly fall asleep. :>

That's pretty much been my experience as well. DC has had such low lows, but there's actually been a couple that I moderately enjoyed...Marvel, on the other hand, I'd characterize as being consistently mediocre/bleh all the way down, but never really quite "turn the TV off" terrible like some of DC's movies have been. Watchable, but not really very enjoyable. So I guess I'd rather waste my time taking a chance on a DC movie than another predictably mediocre Marvel movie.

I like the Marvel films overall more than you do, but this is roughly how I feel about them. They play each of these films very safe, they deliver a familiar experience and by and large do so in alright fashion nowadays. I do think they are better overall films than DC, but at least up until recently I also felt like DC had the greater ability to surprise. Now, however, I'm not even so sure that DC will do as much - they seem very intent in trying to replicate the MCU formula beat for beat. I actually think Fox are the ones with the greatest capacity for surprise, unpredictability and uniqueness at this point, if both Logan and Legion and their relative success are any indication.

With regards to Thor, it was very enjoyable but didn't really break the MCU mold in any fashion. I like that the series is becoming a bit more creative visually, but it does feel like they take babysteps toward that goal, and there's still a long way to go. Dramatically it's still utterly inert.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I couldn't even tell you what 10,000 BC was about. A hero's journey?

It was all over the place to be honest. At first I would sayit was about tribe rivalry, then animal taming and lastly slavery. I think Alpha will be a decent movie at least because it seems focused on one point.

I like the Marvel films overall more than you do, but this is roughly how I feel about them. They play each of these films very safe, they deliver a familiar experience and by and large do so in alright fashion nowadays. I do think they are better overall films than DC, but at least up until recently I also felt like DC had the greater ability to surprise. Now, however, I'm not even so sure that DC will do as much - they seem very intent in trying to replicate the MCU formula beat for beat. I actually think Fox are the ones with the greatest capacity for surprise, unpredictability and uniqueness at this point, if both Logan and Legion and their relative success are any indication.

With regards to Thor, it was very enjoyable but didn't really break the MCU mold in any fashion. I like that the series is becoming a bit more creative visually, but it does feel like they take babysteps toward that goal, and there's still a long way to go. Dramatically it's still utterly inert.

Yeah, for Thor, I've only seen the first, which I thought was pretty dull already. Well, actually, I've seen bits and pieces of the Avengers and the Dark World, but I really just couldn't sit through them. I guess the problem with Marvel and DC is that one, I'm really just not very into superhero-ish characters on a conceptual level, and two, I don't know, I just don't seem to really like any of the characters to begin with. So the fact that I'm not invested into literally any of the characters, and in fact have a tendency to grow to dislike them over the course of the movie, makes them a hard sell, especially when all of these movies feel like they're following a very similar formula, as you said. I guess the genre's just not really for me. If I had to pick a favorite Marvel movie, I think I'd have to go with Iron Man 1...which they, of course, immediately followed up with the crappiest sequel that killed any interest I had in the franchise.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That's the thing, if you don't have any interest in the characters before watching the movies then there might not even be a point to watch it at all as it might not even make sense but that's not Marvel or DC's fault and the products aren't bad if people don't have the needed interest in the first place. They're doing better with what they have now, at least none the movies were butchered, unlike Michael Bay does with anything he touches ;)

It's impressive how consistent Marvel is in so far as blockbusters go. Basically spring summer and fall I can now count on having a blockbuster flick to enjoy. DC still hasn't convinced me their movies are worth seeing in theater.

• Like 1