Official E3 Thread (I forged the paperwork)

Malcador

Dear lord, I should have never mentioned the X Box One X. I didn't realize it would send someone into full on zealot mode. I apologize to everyone here.

No, this has nothing to do with that. This is my fault, I should have never made the comment of optimization on consoles vs pc. I am clearly the only one to blame here......

That's what I get for posting something positive about E3, consoles, or console exclusives I guess. In a whirlwind of people who dislike all three, that's forum suicide and I should have known better. Really, I apologize.

I am sorry, I just shut up now.

I am just sad, that I have not started my career in Marketing, because now I experienced first hand, that hype can overcome not only reason and sanity, but newtonian physics as well *shrugs*

The choice to pursue my career in programming cost me lot of money :'(

It's not you, it's me lol

This is my burden, it is my curse. Therefore it shall be my cross to bare, and mine alone. You are not to blame, I have wronged the community. It is a Crpg community after all.

If it helps your peace of mind, please note that I was never planning nor do I plan on buying the Xbox One X. I don't see the point if I already have a pc that's more powerful already. Perhaps that will help my cause to be in some alignment with yours.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That game was pretty good, imo. Played it a few times even despite the flaws. That hotel chasing scene was only frustrating if you had a bad pc, by the way... character speed was tied to the fps you had, so the more fps, the faster you could run, the easier it became to flee. :aiee:  

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To me it looks more like a first-person Alone In The Dark game than the original Call Of Cthulhu game. It looks like it will probably support VR too by the way the camera moves. Keep in mind, none of which is bad, just a couple observations. The graphic novel art style is great too!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The hotel chase scene was terrible and I certainly hope there's nothing like it in this.

I own Dark Corners of the Earth on Xbox.

I'm hoping the new Call Of Cthulhu isn't just another Outlast clone like the new Resident Evil. More and more horror games seem to be ripping off the formula that was originally Amnesia's. The trailer is good but it still doesn't give me the full depth of what the game will be like in terms of gameplay and mechanics.

I'm hoping the new Call Of Cthulhu isn't just another Outlast clone like the new Resident Evil.

Have you even played the new Resident Evil? And Outlast, incidentally? If anything, Resi 7 takes inspiration from Haunting Grounds - and by that I do only mean inspiration since the game's structure is almost identical with the original Resident Evil, just... Well, easier. Even the whole aspect of sneaking around and avoiding the family takes up like a grand total of like 15% of the game's playtime, the rest of it you solve puzzles, shoot monsters with various weaponry, scavenge for supplies and murderize bosses. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I like what I've seen of Resident Evil VII (watched a review, played "the beginning hour" demo).

I don't mind games borrowing from Amnesia: The Dark Descent, either. I mean it is a good horror game. Or from Outlast, although I haven't played that yet.

Edited by Belle Sorciere
  • Like 1

Have you even played the new Resident Evil? And Outlast, incidentally? If anything, Resi 7 takes inspiration from Haunting Grounds - and by that I do only mean inspiration since the game's structure is almost identical with the original Resident Evil, just... Well, easier. Even the whole aspect of sneaking around and avoiding the family takes up like a grand total of like 15% of the game's playtime, the rest of it you solve puzzles, shoot monsters with various weaponry, scavenge for supplies and murderize bosses.

Yeah I have beaten both games.

https://youtu.be/sVZO__tNJfY

The Resident Evil 7 formula doesn't stray too far from the Amnesia and Outlast formula, the main difference is that RE7 gives you the ability to fight back. Even the intro of RE7 is cringingly the same exact car ride of Outlas albeit different location, such is the same with the first person animations, following suit with VR support, etc. If there was no Outlast, Capcom would have never switched to first person. They've had first person Resident Evil before and it didn't work so well for them either, at least this one was better made but since sales are low they will probably actually go to their roots in RE8.

Edited by SonicMage117

The Resident Evil 7 fornula doesn't stray too far from the Amnesia and Outlast formula, the main different is that RE7 goves you the ability to fight back.

I'm sorry but that's just complete bollocks. Both Outlast and Amnesia were relatively linear games that presented player with a traditional sequence of levels to play through - Amnesia allowed you to choose which locations you'd like to tackle first, yes, but then pushed you on to the next level regardless. The only thing it has in common with Resi 7 is that there are puzzles and some degree of resource hunting in both - yet Outlast didn't really even have either of that, it being a game completely revolving around stealth play.

Resident Evil 7, on the other hand, had two hub areas (one major, one minor) that were progressively unlocked using puzzles, keys and collectibles, with a whole bunch of exploration rewards and optional puzzles to tackle. Additionally, 'gives you the ability to fight back' is a pretty damn big deal, especially since large part of the game has you fighting or running, not really hiding - in other words, it works like Resident Evil 1 did back in the day with change of perspective and addition of some parts of modern horror games to spice things up as opposed to replacing the core design. There's a reason stealth mechanics are so rudimentary in Resi 7 - they're not really necessary most of the time.

Calling the game 'Outlast clone' is missing forest for the trees - yes, it has the same perspective and both are horror games focused on immersion, but the underlying mechanics are just completely different.

Even the intro of RE7 is cringingly the same exact car ride of Outlas albeit different location, such is the same with the first person animations

You're right, Ethan should have driven a Tesla with autopilot engaged to differenciate from Outlast. Newsflash: Driving car always looks the same :-P Altbeit I'll grant you that car drive itself could have been inspired by Outlast. I think we'll eventually get all the way back to Half-Life with non-interactive but controllable intro sequences. Incidentally, the playable intro was ripped from Silent Hills that got hyped and never delivered on. Silent hills did definitely get inspired by the modern brand of horror games where you can't defend yourself, yes.

followimg suit with VR, etc.

Suuure. I feel it's such a shame no other horror game aside from Outlast and Resident Evil 7 that copied it had VR support. Because obviously, if Outlast didn't have VR support, nobody would ever think of using the game to sell the new Sony's tech.

If there was no Outlast, Capcom would have never switched to first person.

Can I borrow your mind reading pants too? I'd like to point out that there's been an evolution of the media that lead all the way to Amnesia and that it most certainly did not exist in a vacuum. Sentences like "We'd never have Y if it weren't for X!" are rarely correct.
  • Like 2

I agree. I think that RE7 has taken what they needed from Amnesia and Outlast from Outlast and evolved it and put their own twist, so it's not 100%. I mean, it is a great game, the thing is that Capcom most likely only jumped on the first person wagon ony after they saw that YouTubers were doing alot of "reaction" videos for Outlast and Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Capcom wanted a piece of that pie. I'm pretty sure that they noticed that indie horror was getting more attention than their own and that made them think. While they revolutionized third person survival horror, their last attempt at first person was this:

^Capcom created the worst first person horror game ever made.

The sad thing is that Resident Evil 7 sold lower than any of the last 3 Resident Evil games... and not because the last ones were so bad but because people knew it was nothing really new that they couldn't experience at a third of the price.

Alien: Isolation was another example of how a great game polished and evolved the indie driven formula gameplay but added a slight ability to fight back. The balance was great in Alien: Isolation and the Alien being random was nice to see as that's probably how a real encounter would feel if they existed.

It's not just a coincidence that AAA game developers are starting to focus on first person horror, it's the new popular thing and it's only because of small indie teams, of course AAA devs will capitalize it but the survival horror fanbase knows this as well. Capcom learned a thing or tw from Red Barrels and learned well but like I said in the end, it didn't matter because sales were not up to expectations.

All that said, to be honest I didn't particularly like Outlast or RE7. I did, however, like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Outlast 2, Alien Isolation and I really enjoyed Soma... with it's super whiney young protagonist :L

I agree. I think that RE7 has taken what they needed from Amnesia and Outlast from Outlast and evolved it and put their own twist, so it's not 100%. I mean, it is a great game, the thing is that Capcom most likely only jumped on the first person wagon ony after they saw that YouTubers were doing alot of "reaction" videos for Outlast and Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Capcom wanted a piece of that pie. I'm pretty sure that they noticed that indie horror was getting more attention than their own and that made them think. While they revolutionized third person survival horror, their last attempt at first person was this:

^Capcom created the worst first person horror game ever made.

The sad thing is that Resident Evil 7 sold lower than any of the last 3 Resident Evil games... and not because the last ones were so bad but because people knew it was nothing really new that they couldn't experience at a third of the price.

Alien: Isolation was another example of how a great game polished and evolved the indie driven formula gameplay but added a slight ability to fight back. The balance was great in Alien: Isolation and the Alien being random was nice to see as that's probably how a real encounter would feel if they existed.

It's not just a coincidence that AAA game developers are starting to focus on first person horror, it's the new popular thing and it's only because of small indie teams, of course AAA devs will capitalize it but the survival horror fanbase knows this as well. Capcom learned a thing or tw from Red Barrels and learned well but like I said in the end, it didn't matter because sales were not up to expectations.

All that said, to be honest I didn't particularly like Outlast or RE7. I did, however, like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Outlast 2, Alien Isolation and I really enjoyed Soma... with it's super whiney young protagonist :L

For a time, AAA publishers pushed the received wisdom that horror games don't sell. Indie horror games proved them wrong on that point. Those indie games did some things well, and there's nothing wrong with other developers adapting those things to their own games. Also, Resident Evil VII is not, as was pointed out, a straight ripoff of Outlast. The inclusion of combat alone, as well as the game's overall focus, counters that point.

Also, the way you've framed Resident Evil VII's sales as not meeting expectations is a bit misleading. From wikipedia, with citations:

Sales

Capcom's pre-release sales projection for the game's launch window, through the end of March 2017, was 4 million copies.[73] The game had shipped over 2.5 million units worldwide days after the release, while the demo exceeded 7.15 million downloads.[74] The modest shipment figure had an effect on Capcom's stock price, which fell more than three percent following the Tokyo Stock Exchange.[75] It was the best-selling video game in the UK during its week of release according to Chart-Track, amounting to the third-best debut in Resident Evil history behind 5 (7.1 mill) and 6 (6.6 mill). 200,000 copies had also been sold through Steam during that time.[75][76][77] It ranked first in the Japanese charts for the week ending January 29; the PS4 sales totalled 187,306 copies,[78] 58.9 percent of its initial shipment.[79] In the month of January in the United States, Resident Evil 7 sold the most out of any video game.[80] On February 1, Capcom communicated to its investors that the game had recouped its budget.[81] It remained at the top of the UK sales chart in its second week.[82] February saw Resident Evil 7 ranked the second best-selling video game in the United States, behind For Honor.[83] By April 2017, Resident Evil 7 had sold 3.5 million copies worldwide, short of Capcom's expectation of 4 million.[84] In May 2017, Capcom gave the game a lifetime sales forecast of 10 million units, citing favorable reviews, marketing and downloadable content as contributing factors.[85]

So while sales didn't meet expectations, it sold very well for the time period it was released, and it recouped its budget. The problem here isn't that it sold poorly. The fact that it didn't outsell Resident Evil 5 or 6 isn't a bad thing, and is not indicative of failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if Resident Evil 8 were to happen, or if other studios follow in Capcom's footsteps.

Also, Alien: Isolation (which I agree is a good game) failed to meet sales expectations as well. It was well-received and sold well, but it couldn't recoup its budget. It's not really a fair argument to pick on RE7's sales but gloss over Alien: Isolation's sales. Compare Resident Evil's 3.5 million sales to Alien's 2.1 million.

• Like 1

Speaking of Resident Evil... New game in production.

https://segmentnext.com/2017/06/17/unannounced-resident-evil-game-works/

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 2

I was going to buy a bunch of PS4 games but instead I decided to keep my dough till next month and buy a Switch. I am really impressed with what Nintendo is doing with the Switch and I've had a great time with the new 3DS and the Wii U. 3DS is great for playing both new games and remastered classics such as Streets of Rage, Space Harrier and Kid Icarus in glorious 3D. The Wii U on the other hand is a great hub for playing Wii U, Wii, GBA, DS and N64 games. 

I hope to see Gamecube games on the Switch virtual console someday.

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.