Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ydwin to return in the expansion?

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe you could expound a bit more on her alleged bisexuality? Shocking rumours of course and hardly of any interest to me.. I'm asking for a friend.

:')

There was that girl in her cipher class. She was more into philosophy and arts than animancy but she seemed to understand her in a way. They used to go to Mowrgroks Pizza Place after school and talked about lots of things. Like soulmates. Soon Ydwen noticed that something was going on, something more than just friendship. So one day, after they were doing something awesome together that strengthened their bond, she tried to kiss her. But that girl didn't react as expected. She just wanted to be best friends, but that event destroyed everything. So Ydwin once more had alienated a person that was really important in her life.

Later the girl died.

Edited by Lord_Mord, 18 September 2017 - 08:05 AM.

• Bill Gates' Son, illathid, JerekKruger and 2 others like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1779 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Maybe you could expound a bit more on her alleged bisexuality? Shocking rumours of course and hardly of any interest to me.. I'm asking for a friend.

:')

There was that girl in her cipher class. She was more into philosophy and arts than animancy but she seemed to understand her in a way. They used to go to Morgroks Pizza Place after school and talked about lots of things. Like soulmates. Soon Ydwen noticed that something was going on, something more than just friendship. So one day, after they were doing something awesome together that strengthened their bond, she tried to kiss her. But that girl didn't react as expected. She just wanted to be best friends, but that event destroyed everything. So Ydwin once more had alienated a person that was really important in her life.

Later the girl died.

But not before she killed her dog, who Ydwin also loved.

• aluminiumtrioxid and JerekKruger like this

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But not before she killed her dog, who Ydwin also loved.

Of course.

• JerekKruger likes this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've never understood the hate for that character from some, it seems completely based on imagined ideas of what the character would be based on her look alone.

What about that description (Someone was kind enough to post it in another thread)?

A strange pale elf cipher from "a lot of different places". Fascinated by animancy, Ydwin spends her free time examining fresh and not-so-fresh corpses.  Though she has a charming and pleasant demeanor, new acquaintances are often shocked at her intimate familiarity with death and her dispassionate affect in the face of even the most grisly scenes.

Does not sound that much like a "scientist". More of an identification figure for gothic nerd girls. "Noone seems to understand, but death is sooo fascinating." The problem here is not that she fits into one stereotype. The character described and pictured there is a monster sewed together from the countless corpses of different stereotypes.
Maybe I can add something to help the writers fleshing out the character: She really likes chocolate, get's very nervous when cute boys are around and has an unhealthy taste for bad guys. As a child she didn't want to play with dolls. Instead she removed their body parts and sewed them together in another order. That alienated the other children, so she hadn't much social contact. Her parents didn't understand her and wanted her to become a lady. Study somthing harmless, find a man and marry him. They brought her to an animancer who should cure her soul, but he didn't find anything unusual. Still her parents were trying to force her. So she ran away oftentimes. Her mother learned to accept how her daughter was, but her father never did, so she had no good relationship with him. Then her father died and she never had the opportunity to get things right with him. Later she found out, that she was bisexual... Shall I continue? I can do this for hours. I would love to tell you the episode where she couldn't save her cat from dying.

You sure gleaned a lot from three sentences. Feels a little like there is some projection going on. Trying to bind souls to prevent death is one big part of the study of animancy, so of course some who study animancy will be preoccupied with this aspect. The allure of learning what lies beyond the grave, how to communicate with souls after death, or even prevent death itself would be hard to ignore for some animancers.

She's a people person who is "pleasant and charming" so a lot of your suppositions are contradicted directly.

You try and paint a picture of an alienated and socially awkward person but that is directly contradicted by the very description you quoted. Frankly a lot of this sounds like politically motivated nonsense perhaps relating to a certain two letter abbreviated movement. I expect next I'll be told that she wears low cut tops and streams her image over magic mirrors through the Twitchyverse and how horrible that is.

Edited by Mygaffer, 19 September 2017 - 11:16 AM.

• Karkarov and HooAmEye like this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, that is way too much of reading. My own personal take on it was that Ydwin was a straight up psychopath, putting on a friendly demeanor, all the while doing Johann Conrad Dippel experiments.

• Lord_Mord and Mygaffer like this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, that is way too much of reading. My own personal take on it was that Ydwin was a straight up psychopath, putting on a friendly demeanor, all the while doing Johann Conrad Dippel experiments.

It's almost like Ydwin is a mirror that reflects the fears of the person who sees her.

• ShadySands, aluminiumtrioxid and Wormerine like this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Today I learned I am afraid of 17th century alchemists

• aluminiumtrioxid, Karkarov and Mygaffer like this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Today I learned I am afraid of 17th century alchemists

I'd never heard of Dippel before, very interesting figure.

• HooAmEye likes this

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, the whole field of associated figures is absolutely intriguing. The study of thaumaturgy and hermetics were what I had hoped the conflict over animancy would have been. Given that so much of medieval alchemy is focused on the idea of workings of the soul, with the end result of being either ascension or knowledge through the magnum opus. Given that in Pillars souls are actually real, the debate over animancer is much more legitimate. For example, can animancers actually handle the results of the Sephirothic? Or what about the destruction and manipulation of souls, which John Dee viewed as the ultimate punishment.  Adding the fact that Gods are real, and are ........, then that would mean Geber's ideas of holy reunification are accurate. It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

Edited by HooAmEye, 21 September 2017 - 07:36 AM.

• injurai, Lord_Mord and algroth like this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, the whole field of associated figures is absolutely intriguing. The study of thaumaturgy and hermetics were what I had hoped the conflict over animancy would have been. Given that so much of medieval alchemy is focused on the idea of workings of the soul, with the end result of being either ascension or knowledge through the magnum opus. Given that in Pillars souls are actually real, the debate over animancer is much more legitimate. For example, can animancers actually handle the results of the Sephirothic? Or what about the destruction and manipulation of souls, which John Dee viewed as the ultimate punishment.  Adding the fact that SPOILERS then that would mean Geber's ideas of holy reunification are accurate. It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

One small thing, you should probably add a spoiler tag or just get rid of that spoiler.

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Frankly a lot of this sounds like politically motivated nonsense perhaps relating to a certain two letter abbreviated movement.

Wow. You noticed that the nonsense I wrote is nonsense. Gratulations! But how is it politically motivated? I never knew that I was politically motivated. Or even motivated at all.

She's a people person who is "pleasant and charming" so a lot of your suppositions are contradicted directly.

I improvised. Just fill in some other bla bla that makes her a nicer person. Or shall I try again?

Edited by Lord_Mord, 21 September 2017 - 12:25 AM.

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It could have been so cool, but what we got instead was a "Oooh, science bad" thing. Disappointing

That is exactly what I am talking about. There is so much room for exploring and almost everything we explored was the personal problems of some normal life people translated into fantasy language. I mean Aloth was fun, but his story didn't even really had to do with animancy. It just served as a trojan horse for troubled teenager stuff. And what was that Sagani-Thing? I guess next time the companion quests will be hunts for cooking recipes.

Durance on the other hand at least reflected the world he lived in even if his "quest" was kind of pointless. And guess what: Most people hated him. Why? Because they give a **** about history, philosophy, metaphors about human life, metaphysics or thinking in general. They just want media to be a mirror, reflecting the dull space full of pointless self-centered half-thoughts inside of their skulls.

HooAmEye

HooAmEye

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't know if that is wholly accurate. Personally, I found much of the story to be quite interesting, just very unevenly paced. Sure, there are way too many missed oppurtunities, but the sequel looks to be fixing that.  For example, both Hiravias/Devil/Eder had quite engaging stories. Also, I too disliked Durance. His story was absolutely fascinating, but didn't change the fact that he was a gigantic ass.

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Frankly a lot of this sounds like politically motivated nonsense perhaps relating to a certain two letter abbreviated movement.

Wow. You noticed that the nonsense I wrote is nonsense. Gratulations! But how is it politically motivated? I never knew that I was politically motivated. Or even motivated at all.

I improvised. Just fill in some other bla bla that makes her a nicer person. Or shall I try again?

Now I'm guilty of reading too much into a comment.

• Lord_Mord likes this

Lord_Mord

Lord_Mord

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 394 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Now I'm guilty of reading too much into a comment.

That explains a lot.

I don't know if that is wholly accurate. Personally, I found much of the story to be quite interesting, just very unevenly paced. Sure, there are way too many missed oppurtunities, but the sequel looks to be fixing that.  For example, both Hiravias/Devil/Eder had quite engaging stories. Also, I too disliked Durance. His story was absolutely fascinating, but didn't change the fact that he was a gigantic ass.

Eder? Really? I couldn't care less on which side his brother fought. Devil was fun, but the conclusion came too quick. Wouldn't have minded to kill some more guys. But what I am talking about isn't wether the quests were fun or the NPCs were nice persons. The only NPC that really seemed to be affected by this rather sick little world was Durance. The only NPC that reflected about that world was Durance. And the only NPC that gives you a glimpse into the mind of the people that started that war, killed that god and had to deal with all they had done is Durance. Of course he's an ass. It's hard to live in such a world and not be an ass.

Wormerine

Wormerine

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Eder? Really? I couldn't care less on which side his brother fought. Devil was fun, but the conclusion came too quick. Wouldn't have minded to kill some more guys. But what I am talking about isn't wether the quests were fun or the NPCs were nice persons. The only NPC that really seemed to be affected by this rather sick little world was Durance. The only NPC that reflected about that world was Durance. And the only NPC that gives you a glimpse into the mind of the people that started that war, killed that god and had to deal with all they had done is Durance. Of course he's an ass. It's hard to live in such a world and not be an ass.

Ok, I have to strongly disagree with you. Most of the companions supported games themes and reflected the world around them. To me finale wouldn't be nearly as engaging if not for the companions.

Spoiler

Edited by Wormerine, 21 September 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• injurai, algroth and HooAmEye like this

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1011 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Ok, I have to strongly disagree with you. Most of the companions supported games themes and reflected the world around them. To me finale wouldn't be nearly as engaging if not for the companions.

Spoiler

Not sure if "this"ing is appropriate on this forum. So... THAT!

• algroth and HooAmEye like this

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Here's some thoughts I have on Edér... Personally I find his personality very involved and affected by the events that transpired in Dyrwood. I find that in his disagreements with the player's choices as well as his opinion of other parties and factions he comes across as pretty apathetic and soft-spoken (if you say you don't care what Raedric does in Gilded Vale, he'll reply with a comment along the lines of "not even a little?", while his opinions on the Dozens, while negative, express disagreement without calling for action or opposition - in his stance, things are just the way things are), and this all fits the history of a person who is full of personal doubt and who goes about his life keeping his head down. He has reason to do so: he's a follower of Eothas in a time when Eothasians are being hanged in public, *and* he's the brother of a rumoured traitor. He is a character who's refusing to take a centre stage because that could lead to his presence being noted and thus being questioned (making enemies who'd exploit his history as an Eothasian and so on). He's also very skeptical and harbours a particular distaste for zealots, all of which ties to the persecution of Eothasians and the questions surrounding Waidwen as an incarnation of the same - he has reasons of being as much. I don't think that he is in the end any less affected by the events than Durance, but whereas Durance seems to confront his own history with vengeful directness, Edér, being the small-town farmer and so on who's just trying to live, is someone that chooses to evade his history instead. This is my interpretation on his character anyhow.

I don't necessarily think all of the characters are 'affected' by the events of the game to the degree Durance or Edér are though (I would add Hiravias, the Grieving Mother and Aloth to the list of those that were), but I do think they all inform in some way or other about the themes, the history and setting that the game explores. For example, as Wormerine says, as a foreigner Sagani may not have been that deeply tied to the events concerning the Dyrwood but her story does help develop another facet of souls and reincarnation, both of which are very important elements to the themes of Pillars.

Edited by algroth, Today, 11:52 AM.

• injurai, HooAmEye and Wormerine like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users