NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

Cowboys' plan all along. thyey did not want Romo to go to another team so they decided tos crew him over to the point he would just give up. Of coruse, he'll be all gracious but total bullcrap evil pieces of crap.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What's the alternative? Can a crippled player suit up? You going to carry a non-contributor on your books because your a good guy?

If a team is worried that a player may not be able to get through a full 5+ year contract then sign him to a shorter term but don't sign someone for 5 years than go 'oops' half way through it.

Personally I agree. However, the actual length of NFL contracts are smoke and mirrors. The true value can be seen in the guaranteed monies. Everything else is fluff.

players ain't going into these contracts dewey-eyed and innocent.  is not as if players is getting the old bait and switch, eh? 

keep in mind that other than the superstars, players got extreme limited leverage save through collective bargaining.  only the smallest fraction 'o college players end up being drafted, and a relative small number o' those actual stick with a team. the difference in talent 'tween your typical former auburn star (and future ups delivery guy) vs a 2nd string mike backer for detroit is gonna be slim. for over 50% of nfl roster spots, there is literal hundreds o' guys who can replace nfl players in an instant w/o any measurable decrease to the quality o' the product. furthermore, even for the rare college player who makes an nfl roster, the average duration o' an nfl career is just under four years.  how many former college stars sitting at home on sundays would happily play for the league minimum and no guarantee money? imagine gifted trying to negotiate a raise from his boss under similar circumstances.

even so, while the nflpa has been monumental stoopid on more than one occasion, they ain't weak. heck, if the nflpa weren't so concerned with avoiding olympic-style drug testing or making sure superstars still got their stratosphere contracts, the player's association could get any number o' concessions for its members. better retirement benefits? higher minimum salaries? etc.

*shrug*

pro football is a stoopid way to make a living.  we feel terrible for the mike websters and junior seaus who suffered cte, and owners should be held responsible for their complicity and fraud regarding head trauma and pro football. the thing is, cte is no longer an unknown.  the dangers o' playing football is largely known.  the brevity o' careers is known.  the ability o' owners to cut players is known. is not mephistopheles hiding stuff in the fine print kinda deception, eh? players is grown men making hundreds o' thousands to tens o' millions o' dollars per year to play football.  am not weeping over how nfl players has been exploited.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

RIP former Raven Todd Heap's 3 year old daughter, whom was accidentally run over and killed today. :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. Had he been convicted and had two more life sentences then it would be less surprising. But you don't know what's in a mans head.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

He was still serving a life sentence despite the recent trial win. It is doubtful he was going to see the light of day anytime soon given the litany of charges. I do wonder if they will be able to do a CTE scan and whether they will connect some of his behavior back to concussions.

Interestingly, because he died during his appeal for the other murder, his crimes are now considered legally void.

https://twitter.com/deancoyne/status/854651898930110464

Apparently, a murderer, but not a convicted murderer. From what I'm hearing, in specifically MA (where the murders took place), civil cases are much harder to win if the criminal trial does not succeed (so not like the OJ Simpson case that took place in California is what I'm saying). He may have done this to shield his family from having their assets taken away as a result of the murders.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Interestingly, because he died during his appeal for the other murder, his crimes are now considered legally void.

Apparently, a murderer, but not a convicted murderer. From what I'm hearing, in specifically MA (where the murders took place), civil cases are much harder to win if the criminal trial does not succeed (so not like the OJ Simpson case that took place in California is what I'm saying). He may have done this to shield his family from having their assets taken away as a result of the murders.

So from that, is the implication that either he knew that fact on his own or someone close to him or his lawyers advised him to commit suicide??

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So from that, is the implication that either he knew that fact on his own or someone close to him or his lawyers advised him to commit suicide??

Yes, seems a little contrived, doesn't it? But I suppose it's possible that it's something he learned and it just sorta became a goal in the back of his head as soon as...well, actually, as soon as both cases were on appeal, because if it works for one of the murders, it works for two, right? ...Yeah, seems contrived. :p

I seriously doubt any lawyer would ADVISE that. This almost certainly didn't happen anyways, and it's all just coincidence, but you could ask something like, "What's the best way that I can protect my family...what do I have to do, I'll do anything at all, because they're the only ones that matter to me right now?", and, well, if you were in that state of mind, I could see the possibility being indirectly mentioned (i.e. saying "well, if your crimes were vacated, your family would have a much better chance at escaping a civil case", which the obvious question would be, "well, how do I vacate them", to which the reply would be, "...well...")

Edited by Bartimaeus

What a choke artist.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 quaterbacks taken in the first round. None of them played in a system that would have prepared them for the NFL. Deshaun Watson is probably going to have to play this season because the momen he signs he'll be the best QB on the Texans roster. God help him. The Bears drafting Trubinski andtrading up to do it makes no sens after throwing all that money at Mike Glennnon.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Bears drafting Trubinski andtrading up to do it makes no sens after throwing all that money at Mike Glennnon.

Exactly.  I wasn't a fan of the Glennon acquisition to begin with, Mike Glennon is not worth the kind of money they gave him, but what it said to me was "Dear Lord, no more Cutler" which I can understand, and "we're stalling a year or two to get to a better QB class" which I can also understand, since I don't think there is a franchise level QB in this year's crop.  Then they give up 2 picks to move up 1 position to get a guy who would 99% still been there at #3 and I feel is not a top 10 pick and the 3rd best QB prospect in the draft.  It doesn't makes any sense to me.

As for my boys, I'm fairly happy with the Taco Charlton pick.  We desperately need help at DB and an edge rusher.  I thought the Boys would got DB first, but a bunch of the top DBs got snagged before the draft rolled around to #28 and Taco was probably the highest level of talent we could get in a need position at #28.  I do wonder if we would have taken Gareon Conley had he still been on the board?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What the 49ers told the Bears was basically that if the Bears didn't trade up for our spot, somebody else will and they will also take your guy. I'm not sure if it was true, but either way, it clearly worked.

Edited by Bartimaeus

What the 49ers told the Bears was basically that if the Bears didn't trade up for our spot, somebody else will and they will also take your guy. I'm not sure if it was true, but either way, it clearly worked.

That's the kind of move a team should pull if they think the guy they're getting is the next Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning. Does anyone think Trubisky is a future hall of fame franchise QB? It's stupid to panic trade to make absolutely sure you get a guy who's not even necessarily the best QB in what is widely considered an underwhelming QB class. Good for the Niners for taking advantage of suckers.

Honestly, I feel all 3 QBs taken were overpaid for, in a manner of speaking. The Houston trade was least egregious since that team is legitimately a QB away from being a real contender and the Cards would definitely have taken Watson.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm banking on that he DOESN'T become the next Aaron Rodgers, personally. :grin:

On a side-note, if there was a "next Peyton Manning"-type prospect, it would have been much, much more expensive than what they paid to go up.

Edited by Bartimaeus

The Bears drafting Trubinski andtrading up to do it makes no sens after throwing all that money at Mike Glennnon.

am agreeing that the bears first round trade appears ill-advised, but in our opinion the trubisky pick only makes sense because o' the glennon deal.  the "all that money" description is a bit misleading.

https://theringer.com/mike-glennon-chicago-bears-nfl-free-agency-624383c09bd6

for a starting qb, the glennon money ain't particular large and is not having onerous long-term guaranteed money.  

the thing is, trubisky is not a day-1 starting qb.  am not certain he will ever be a starter, but he sure as hell shouldn't start in 2017. even folks such as gruden and riddick who like trubisky do not believe he should start in 2017. the money payed to glennon for 2017 will diminish the possibility o' an ill-advised trubisky start.

*shrug*

am not seeing trubisky as a franchise qb.  too few starts.  couldn't beat out his mediocre qb predecessor in the two previous seasons at UNC. in his limited starts, trubisky had a few bad outings. etc.  even so, is glennon's presence which makes the pick plausible.  like so many promising (maybe) nfl qb prospects, starting on a bad team could ruin trubisky.  folks forget, but david carr were a can't miss prospect on par with andrew luck. is tough to develop a young nfl qb with +50 sack seasons, yes? 

if folks other than the bears actual were trying to trade for the spot, we can kinda see the conundrum for chicago.  smart move woulda' been for the bears to trade down, but if trubisky went off the board at 2, then their number 3 pick woulda' had far less value as the next seven or eight guys on most draft boards had similar kinda draft grades.  jamal adams woulda' been a smart pick, but a traditional strong safety wouldn't be an ideal fit for the bears. etc.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-quarterbacks-this-season/

IF trubisky becomes a top 10 qb in the league w/i a couple years, am gonna have difficulty genuine criticizing the trade.  currently the bears got a good interior ol, and their rb pick from last year arguable outperformed ezekiel elliott. is questions, particular at wr and ot, but the bears actual had relative decent offensive output considering they were on 3rd and 4th string qbs and wrs for much o' the year. again, we wouldn't have considered taking trubisky at 3, much less trading up for him, but if he becomes top ten, then...

oj howard looks like a good pickup for the buccaneers. the chargers need ol help for rivers, but am thinking the williams choice were excellent. am admitting we were surprised by the slide o' reuben foster as we thought he were a top 10 kinda guy.  am curious to see how far cook and mixon drop 'cause o' character issues. am a big fan o' budda baker, but am suspecting he will be fighting injuries during an all-too-brief career.  interesting draft and will be a curious day 2, particular at top o' round two as we foresee numerous teams attempting to trade up for a handful o' first round guys who is seeming inexplicable available.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes, it seems the Packers, with the first pick of the 2nd round, wish to trade down a few spots already, and get another 5th or maybe even 4th depending on how desperate a team is and how many slots we go down...