What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Residents evil 7......good lord I'm loving this game. Screw the first 2, I'm gonna say this so far is the best one and it doesn't even feel like resident evil. It feels like I'm playing the "House of a 1000 corpses" game. So far love it.

Right? Resi 7's amazing. How far did you get? It gets a lot more Resident Evily after the first hour and a half or so, in some subtle and others not quite as subtle ways.

I'm enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn so far.  Skulking around in the high grass, waiting to ambush robot dinosaur-like creatures?  Yes, please.

I'm still getting used to the slowing down time as you shoot your bow mechanic, though.  You have to press the R3 thumbstick (PS4) while aiming, and right now I'm finding it awkward.

But overall it's pretty good.  Even gives you the option to be a jerk/nice/smart ass.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

More Horizon Zero Dawn.  Fire arrows are fun when you can actually hit the vulnerable spot.  I took out an entire horde of striders when one blew up.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Aside from Numenera, I'm playing through Dead Space trilogy - replaying the first game that I have already finished ages ago, and then moving on to 2 and 3.

First game was excellent, probably the second best Resident Evil 4-esque horror game on the market (right behind Resi 4 proper.) Very nice, finished it, had tons of fun with it, I'm just a bit sad it was on the easy side.

Second game was a bit worse, any subtlety pretty much thrown out of the window and Titan Station just not offering nearly the feeling of place as Ishimura did, but it was still a very good horror shooter which improved upon -some- aspects from the original. It was a bit more action-oriented, but not in a major way. Finished this one too, and I'm quite glad I did.

And now I'm going through the (hopefully) last areas of Dead Space 3 and... What the hell happened!? Did we really need an implementation of cover shooting mechanics? And where did the horror bugger off to? Where are all the subtle details which gave so much to the originals, like water and blood droplets floating in vacuum? It's still a reasonably entertaining game, but more on the average side with story that actively undermines the previous two games. Just... Eh. And the sad thing is that the game actually has a whole bunch of really cool idea that it utterly fails to execute - like navigating a 200 yo ship graveyard orbiting a planet. That's cool. Shame they have exactly the same tech as Ishimura and Titan Station.

Tried some Dead Space 1 a while ago and didn't liked it. It's full of jump scares and meh-stuff that didn't started my interest. Lucky me for buying it extremely cheap.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Plodding on in BS4. Is pretty meh, can't say the plot is gripping so far.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More Horizon Zero Dawn.  I'm out into the "open world" now, so I'm just picking up the various side activities.  I keep forgetting that my character has different weapons available to her, so it's always the bow and arrow I use when I see an enemy.

The story so far is actually pretty good as these things go.  Enough intrigue to keep you wanting to continue to see how it plays out.

It feels a bit like Far Cry with tribes and robot dinosaurs, but with a less wacky story and no guns (okay, very, very limited guns).

So what's the story behind the robot dinosaurs and why does the player need to kill em all?

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's full of jump scares and meh-stuff that didn't started my interest.

Yeah, Dead Space kinda tests tolerance for jump scares and if you specifically dislike them, you won't really like the game. But it does a lot more than that to build up its horror, and since I don't really mind jump scares (nor do I look for them, they're just a ... Thing that happens to me), the game does a lot of subtle things that I really dig - if you're into body horror, there's a lot of it and I think it's masterfully executed, especially later into the game.

If you're into psychological horror and have a good 5.1 setup/headset, the game has layers of ambient sounds, each serving its own purpose (including the on-board computer that'll randomly say rather bizarre things just outside of your hearing range, just so you can catch a glimpse of a word or two) + it does really cool stuff with main protagonist's perception of reality.

And, in spite of not really being into jump scares, I was pretty impressed by how they managed to actually generate them dynamically - the dynamic music is quite something in Dead Space, nekkies being slow and quiet when camera is not panned at them with music to match, and then music and their behavior changing when you look at them. Really nice stuff. + I'm all into the whole retro sci-fi theme.

Dead Space was a good RE clone, but that's all it was, and that made some aspects good and some pretty bad, like the control scheme. I don't like playing purposely sluggish controls for supposed added difficulty to begin with, but Dead Space straight up ripped it from the RE series. Also, the gameplay was extremely monotonous from beginning to end. The only time I died was during QT events and one other segment. The sluggish controls just ended up making the game play sluggish, nothing else.

Horizon Zero Dawn's map is BIG.  I've been playing for a few nights now, and quite a bit each play session, and I've still only unlocked about 1/5 of the map.  Granted, I don't know how much there is to actually do in the 4/5 of the map still in a "fog of war", but if it's anywhere close to what I've current experienced, I've got a long ways to go.

It's an addictive game in the same way Far Cry is, with the exploring, the weapons, and the killing of random animals you come across.

• Like 1

Saw Crysis 2 in the Origin Vault so thought I'd give it a try. Haven't played any serious shooter since Far Cry 4.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

After finishing Tides of Numenera in a disappointingly short amount of time, I'm now back to the occasional game of Duelyst (free online card game) and Nier Automata. I was expecting Nier Automata to be like a Devil May Cry hack 'n slash game, but after the first level, it becomes an open world with "go hunt 4 xxx and bring me back a xxx" quests. Why do people keep making these MMORPG clone games? They're so mind-numbing... 

• Like 1

After finishing Tides of Numenera in a disappointingly short amount of time, I'm now back to the occasional game of Duelyst (free online card game) and Nier Automata. I was expecting Nier Automata to be like a Devil May Cry hack 'n slash game, but after the first level, it becomes an open world with "go hunt 4 xxx and bring me back a xxx" quests. Why do people keep making these MMORPG clone games? They're so mind-numbing...

Thanks for telling. Was not decided if I should buy Atelier Firis or Nier on friday. Atelier Firis it is then. Nier will wait for 60+ % sale.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So in Dragonfall you go to a location and murder all the guards who weren't bothering anyone until you broke in. Then the game asks you to make a moral decision whether someone should live or die.

Also in my last mission the guy thought his apartment was safe. I guess he somehow didn't notice the trail of guards' dead bodies leading to it.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

After finishing Tides of Numenera in a disappointingly short amount of time, I'm now back to the occasional game of Duelyst (free online card game) and Nier Automata. I was expecting Nier Automata to be like a Devil May Cry hack 'n slash game, but after the first level, it becomes an open world with "go hunt 4 xxx and bring me back a xxx" quests. Why do people keep making these MMORPG clone games? They're so mind-numbing...

A lot of people equate game length with value and it's a heck of a lot easier, faster, and, therefore, cheaper to fill your giant open world with mindless kill X creatures quests and tons of random bull**** to waste your time collecting for quests, stronghold upgrades, and stupid crafting (in case my disdain for crafting isn't coming through clearly, I really loathe crafting) than making meaningful, interesting, compelling side content that will pad out an equivalent amount of gameplay time. So long as the publisher can say "look our giant open world has 60+ hours of content" that's enough for a lot of people, even if 90% of said content is mindless busy work. Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks