RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, so here it is:

The EU is investigating (among others, not really relevant to our little forum) Valve for breaking antitrust regulations, in Valve's case the commission wants to find out if the company has abused its position to try to divide the European single market with the use of geo-blocking in its dealing with select publishers. The specifics are in the EC press release, which is quite readable (and short).

• Like 7

Not the most informative trailer ever, but I guess this is an expansion for Stellaris.  I'll get that game someday, I hear it's quite good, though I don't have time for a grand strategy right now.

I quit Stellaris a while back because I got into a bit of an arms race with my neighbors (it is really boring). Plus I'm trying to cut down on my alcohol intake and the way I prefer to play Stellaris is drunk while listening to Aqua. 

I think in some ways Stellaris is a typical game from Paradox. It's an interesting game, but it's probably more worthwhile to wait a year or two and for the next half a dozen dlc to come out and be on  steam sale and have the much more expanded game play and fine-tuning. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The EU is investigating (among others, not really relevant to our little forum) Valve for breaking antitrust regulations, in Valve's case the commission wants to find out if the company has abused its position to try to divide the European single market with the use of geo-blocking in its dealing with select publishers. The specifics are in the EC press release, which is quite readable (and short).

This was due to happen sooner or later. I am eager to see what will be the outcome.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is this a moment of damned if u do and damnedbif u don't?

Is this about prices or is it about a availability in certain countries (censorship comes to mind of the last one while different currencies for the other)

Is this about prices or is it about a availability in certain countries (censorship comes to mind of the last one while different currencies for the other)

Well the equivalent for our US friends, would be, if Valve would decide to set price on Steam e.g. Call of Duty in California at 60USD and in Ohio at 70USD. And would block all Ohio inhabitants to purchase the game in California.

The same is happening all the time in Europe, and European Commision has decided some time ago, that they would want to enfore one digital market with same prices across all EU countries. This Valve investigation is in accordance to this goal.

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well the equivalent for our US friends, would be, if Valve would decide to set price on Steam e.g. Call of Duty in California at 60USD and in Ohio at 70USD. And would block all Ohio inhabitants to purchase the game in California.

The same is happening all the time in Europe, and European Commision has decided some time ago, that they would want to enfore one digital market with same prices across all EU countries. This Valve investigation is in accordance to this goal.

I thought the whole region lock was because of censorship laws in certain countries though? So everyone in the EU uses the euro and no other currency?

For example let's use Germany and the South Park stick of truth.

In Germany due to their censorship laws, they can only sell a certain censored game in Germany but in Spain they can sell the reg game. Some one Germany could not buy the Spanish game because since steam sold them a copy that goes against their laws, steam would be fined.

So if each country has different censorship laws, then that's on the EU fault for not having the same product go to everyone. The prices I don't get why and I do believe that needs to change but I don't know the reason why. They may have a good reason but most likely they don't. I am interested as well in what happens. **** the EU if they mess up my steam though, **** them in the ass.

well i am not sure, but even that in my country we don't use Euro, i still pay in euros one steam...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I thought the whole region lock was because of censorship laws in certain countries though? So everyone in the EU uses the euro and no other currency?

the way I see it, the primary goal is to stop people from buying games cheaper. Steam has very positive experiences with setting up region-specific stores on their platform.

namely, Steam managed to become huge in Russia by dropping prices significantly for Russian users (my friends in Russia on average pay only one third of the game's price compared to me). so, naturally, Steam doesn't want people from the US or Germany to be able to spoof their IPs and buy games at Russian prices. therefore, games bought in the Russian Steam store are blocked if you try to launch them while having your IP address originate somewhere other than Russia. 

since the EU has significant disparity in income across its many member-states, I'm sure Valve separates its prices for different regions, implementing the same kind of blocking. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

the way I see it, the primary goal is to stop people from buying games cheaper. Steam has very positive experiences with setting up region-specific stores on their platform.

namely, Steam managed to become huge in Russia by dropping prices significantly for Russian users (my friends in Russia on average pay only one third of the game's price compared to me). so, naturally, Steam doesn't want people from the US or Germany to be able to spoof their IPs and buy games at Russian prices. therefore, games bought in the Russian Steam store are blocked if you try to launch them while having your IP address originate somewhere other than Russia. 

since the EU has significant disparity in income across its many member-states, I'm sure Valve separates its prices for different regions, implementing the same kind of blocking.

ha, i wish. My country have 1/3 of average salary of Germany but same prices on steam as Germany

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Exactly, the EU is rather schizophrenic in that way. One the one hand they want to entirely open up the internal market which would eventually undo this income disparity. But on the other hand there are the powers that be that benefit from the current situation and try to maintain it.

Kinda makes me want to look up the economic history of the German states now.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

That's neat, I guess. I've always thought the HUDs in Zelda games have been a bit too over the top - I know what A and B do at this point, guys, don't need to have those icons permanently there for me to see - so I'd probably use that if I ever play that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Your own activity feed, too. Although you should hopefully not have friends that would make use of such an exploit...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Can't wait to be disappointed

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg