RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Why isn't controller remapping a thing.

It's absolutely a thing, an increasing number of games seem to support it (and it still strikes me as weird when I can see a game supporting key rebinding and not controller rebinding as that's quite literally the same functionality). And a whole bunch of games do make use of buttons for toggling ability bars of sorts (like DA: I or Dragon's Dogma)

Is it just me, or do the character models look weirder in Mass Effect Andromeda than the previous ME games that were released almost 5 years ago, and on the previous Gen console?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For some reason, the character profiles remind me of NWN2 characters. Very stiff and a bit derpy looking.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

BioWare has been pretty notably bad at character modeling, whether or not they're modeled after real people...and it's especially bad when you can actually do a direct comparison. See the trainwrecks that are Miranda Lawson, Kai Leng, Ashley Williams, Kaidan Alenko, Diana Allers, etc. Their in-game models are just...they're so bad and derpy. Look at some of the people they're actually modeled after (Yvonne Strahovski for Miranda!), and then look at BioWare's horrific uncanny valley renditions of them. Yikes. Seems like they have the most trouble with humans.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Girl power! Or, uh, squirrel power, I guess. :p

I thought it was kinda funny how the game tried to tell me all the time how perfect and hot Miranda Lawson is, while at the same time I thought she was ugly and annoying af. Not even the ass close-up shots helped the matter. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I still boggle at what they did to Ashley, she was okay in ME1.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, Kaidan and her sort of switched between games. Kaidan was pretty derpy looking in ME1, but looked more normal in ME3...Ashley seemed fine in ME1, but what the crap, what happened in ME3.

Edited by Bartimaeus

I don't see anything *too* terribly wrong with the guy...some mild uncanny valley, but that's to be expected (especially seeing just a single shot, for me, and not seeing him in motion). The poor woman, on the other hand... In addition to her face being totally messed up, why does her hair look way lower quality than the guy's? :p He has some actually semi-realistic-looking hair...her hair looks like something, again, out of NWN2 - maybe worse.

Edited by Bartimaeus

...These two are the default main character?

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, those are the defaults

and these are some companions

Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Character-Kits-020

PS I'm still looking forward to the game but most of the faces look pretty bad

PPS the men seem to be better than the women based on the 5 or so human looking characters

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

It took me about halfway through Mass Effect 3 to realize I didn't really like where the series had gone since the first, gameplay and story wise. I don't see myself returning for Andromeda.

• Like 3

Reminds one of Shodan's mockery.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I imagine that's what they are paying homage to (or ripping off, depending on your level of cynicism).

It looks like a pretty slick top down slasher/shooter. I wonder if you'll have any tricks up your sleeve besides the slide/dash move shown off in the trailer?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It took me about halfway through Mass Effect 3 to realize I didn't really like where the series had gone since the first, gameplay and story wise. I don't see myself returning for Andromeda.

I liked ME3 well enough, albeit it isn't much of an RPG, but Andromeda has a lot of red flags on it. It seems to know what it wants to be as a game even less than ME3, or even Inquisition (disclaimer, haven't played DAI, so going by commentary). A Gears of War/ relationship simulator combination with open world elements? Sounds like it has been designed by committee to appeal to the maximum number of people- and as a near inevitable consequence to appeal to none of them well.

Reminds me of my boss

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra