Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

John Wick

That was...not good. I love the fact that he murdered approximately 241 people over

killing his puppy

but the action sequences were kinda poor, imo.

You are wrong!

I mean, I disagree.   :p

Should have written "You are wrong. FACT." :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Passengers? Really? I'm surprised because I thought that was half a good movie that suddenly gets afraid the audience has ADHD and drops its story entirely to get cliche and start blowing **** up. I was halfway expecting a giant mechanical spider by the end.

I was a little surprised by the movie:

her Stockholm Syndrome (as a reviewer pointed out) in eventually falling in love with him

a bigger question is one medical pod for 5300 people? What if there is a major accident, does everyone just have to wait in line?

• Like 1

You have to admit...

The whole "I creeped on her, I stalked her, then I basically kidnapped her from what her life should have been and trapped her for the rest of her life with me" is a rather odd vibe to have for a film where Pratt is pretty much the protagonist.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I agree, and it's that angle I found interesting. He was the protagonist, but he wasn't the hero. It was almost like an art-house character film, until they suddenly decided to add explosions and make him the hero after all. Like, why?

@Hiro:

I think it was supposed to have an "unsinkable starship titanic" vibe. They clearly didn't believe anything could go wrong with the journey - the system wasn't even able to acknowledge pod failure because it was "failsafe". The medical pod was meant for minor scrapes during the last four months in orbit of the colony planet, major accidents weren't even considered a possiblity. I assume they had the parts to build more pods on the planet in storage since Pratt said they have spare parts for everything. Not sure why he didn't think of that later. Probably because the plot turned stupid.

Passengers? Really? I'm surprised because I thought that was half a good movie that suddenly gets afraid the audience has ADHD and drops its story entirely to get cliche and start blowing **** up. I was halfway expecting a giant mechanical spider by the end.

The setup was interesting enough to carry the rest of the film.

Plus I'm a sucker for reasonably low-key sci-fi.

• Like 1

Underworld Blood Wars.

Heh. Well it was good to see Kate Beckinsale back in that costume, and it had that moody, broody pseudo-action riff to the film in general. Plenty of stylish moments, with expansion of the background elements in some ways (but still keeping them kind of shallow).  Interesting in that they reference elements from the previous film, but at the same time completely skip over the "the rest of humanity is aware of lycans and vampires and hunted us down", and instead its a bit of a return to the various  coven houses full of overblown gothicly exuberant vampires.

I don't think they actually had as many action sequences as they've done in previous films...but they did add a touch more mysticism just to shift things up apparently.

Then they ended it with a hook for a potential next film.

Charles Dance as ever sinks himself into the role, although there's never enough of him on screen, and Lara Pulver firmly takes to the role of the manipulative vamp (people might recognise her more as Irene Adler in Sherlock). Theo James does the manly leader type who really follows Selene around and is probably meant to be more of the eye-candy for the other half of the audience. Tobias Menzies as the main antagonist doesn't have too much to work with, but does what he can.

John Wick 2.  Freakin' fantastic.  I really didn't expect it to be as good as the first movie, simply because the first movie set the bar so high, I was just hoping it would be pretty good and the quality wouldn't drop off that much.  John Wick 2 is even better than the first.  It manages to keep the cool, mysterious vibe of the assassin secret culture that the first movie had going and it kicks it up a notch in the action department.  This is how action movies are supposed to be done.  No crappy shaky cam, all the action is clear and easy to follow and badass as ****.  This movie is right up there with The Raid and Terminator 2: Judgement Day in terms of pure unadulterated action movie badassery, in my opinion.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hopefully he faces some challenges this time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hopefully he faces some challenges this time.

Sometimes you just want your action hero's challenges to be "do I shoot him with my left hand or my right hand?"   "Do I jump over the table and stab him or do I slide under it and stab him in the groin?"

What is his motivation in this movie? Did someone cut him off in traffic? :p

They explain how John Wick was able to get out of the assassin game in the first place.  His motivation ties into that.  I won't say anymore since I'm already encroaching on spoiler territory.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Heh, Comment someone made after seeing it

³ If you re-watch THE MATRIX before seeing this film, pay attention to the meeting between Reeves’ character and Lawrence Fishburne’s character. I think they re-used some dialog on purpose, just to see if they could.

There is a definite not so subtle Neo/Morpheus call back moment they obviously put in the movie on purpose.  It made me smile.  It's the equivalent of a video game easter egg.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Heh, also, Keanu Reeves on Graham Norton's show the other night was talking that he's actually read a script for Bill & Ted 3. No word on whether it would go beyond that, or how much was just joking around, but he did actually give a general run through on the premise as a 50 year old Bill & Ted struggle with rebellious kids and failing marriages, then find out if they don't write a song this time it'll potentially scar the future of the entire galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBg0gExEcA

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

50 year old Bill and Ted, I would pay to see that.

Then again Dumb and Dumber 2 was a let down and so was Zoolander 2. Oh! This would be Bill and Ted 3 not 2. Forget everything I said. It's going to awesome!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Split

Meh. I almost nodded off and my wife actually did. Everyone was terrible except for the lead, imo, and even though I was already spoiled to the "twist" it didn't impact me in any way.

It did make me wonder long and hard about how much Bruce Willis was paid for those two words. :lol:

Finally got around to watching the Arrival. Finally something of the old intellectual sci fi tradition.

Its definitely one of the best sci fi films of the new millennium. Which doesn't say much because the past 15 years of the genre are marked by shallow, creatively bankrupt blockbusters like Interstellar, Inception etc. etc.

I did not like that it used a paradox to resolve the central problem and the China bashing, but that aside the message is powerful and uplifting. And the science fiction part is intriguing and relatively well thought out.  

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Couldn't find if it is real or not and how old it is, but obviously he doesn't look like that right now.

/edit: Found some news with the picture now. It's from may 20, 2013.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."