Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

I have fond memories of his turn in Privateer 2.. Ah, the fmv rush of the 90's.  ;)

Oooof! I've never played that before. Already acquiring...

Heh, it's when you check out the imdb of Privateer 2 and see just how many names turn up in it.

Clive Owen as the protagonist, with supporting roles from the likes of John Hurt, Jurgen Prochnow, David Warner, Amanda Pays, David McCallum, Brian Blessed, Christopher Walken...

Some glorious overacting and scene chewing.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have fond memories of his turn in Privateer 2.. Ah, the fmv rush of the 90's.  ;)

Oooof! I've never played that before. Already acquiring...

Heh, it's when you check out the imdb of Privateer 2 and see just how many names turn up in it.

Clive Owen as the protagonist, with supporting roles from the likes of John Hurt, Jurgen Prochnow, David Warner, Amanda Pays, David McCallum, Brian Blessed, Christopher Walken...

Some glorious overacting and scene chewing.

Indeed, I was seeing just that. I'll definitely check it out if only for the pedigree alone. We'll see how it turns out!

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

xXx The Return of Xander Cage.

Amusing silliness as you might expect. Over the top stunts/action sequences, plenty of Donnie Yen and Vin Diesel flexing around and working some nice choreography of fights and general "extreme" sports into the plotline.

Cartoon night last night had Moana and Storks.

Moana was good but pretty by the numbers, with the only standout moment being a random encounter with a giant crab/lobster thing that sang a Bowie-esque song about bling.

Storks was only funny in a "what the hell is wrong with these filmmakers" kind of way. A massive pack of wolves acting like a transformer and turning into suspension bridges and submarines was honestly not something I ever expected to see.

John Wick

That was...not good. I love the fact that he murdered approximately 241 people over

killing his puppy

but the action sequences were kinda poor, imo.

I have to admit, I loved the supporting cast in that film. A lot of very good actors who always seem to have that "I recognise the face but not the name."

Also, you have a scene where Keannu actually emotes. Seriously emotes. How can you not be impressed with that? ;)

• Like 1

John Wick

That was...not good. I love the fact that he murdered approximately 241 people over

killing his puppy

Really? Seemed pretty well done, even if one sided, seems like a plausible way to use a pistol in those situations.

Forgot the sequel is out Friday, time flies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In some regards to the action sequences, this might interest a few folks:

Tom Cruise, John Wick, and the New Hollywood Gunfight

....Practice makes perfect, at least as far as the action movie is concerned...

A touch on how single shots of well-practiced moves add a sense of realism and effect that you lose when it's all "cut here, cut there, change angle over there.." that you used to get in most action sequences. Thus the physical training and muscle memory of being able to perform x martial arts or y firearms drills provide a more effective burst of action than you might otherwise get, especially when it's all obviously done in one single take.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

John Wick

That was...not good. I love the fact that he murdered approximately 241 people over

killing his puppy

You are wrong!

I mean, I disagree.   :p

You know, after reading Raithe's subsequent article, maybe it looked off to me due to its "realism"? I thought Reeves looked old and clumsy, was even going to say "hes no Statham". :lol:

• Like 1

For that whole club scene, it's the little things that amused me. All the bad guys he was killing were wearing literal red shirts.

For that whole club scene, it's the little things that amused me. All the bad guys he was killing were wearing literal red shirts.

Lol, I noticed that too! I even commented to my wife that the mooks sure were making it easy to identify them.

Apparently the Director had it done as an homage to the whole redshirt thing.

I guess it also makes sense, security at clubs do like to ensure a certain "uniform" to make them recognisable from the crowd...

I saw over 40 films last year (most of them ****) so I'll just put together a top 10:

Hail, Caesar

The Nice Guys

Moana

Arrival

The Shallows

Passengers

Don't Breathe

Green Room

Allied

10 Cloverfield Lane

Passengers? Really? I'm surprised because I thought that was half a good movie that suddenly gets afraid the audience has ADHD and drops its story entirely to get cliche and start blowing **** up. I was halfway expecting a giant mechanical spider by the end.

• Like 1