What are you playing right now

Gorth

I got gifted Euro Truck Simulator 2, so I thought I'll try that boring game about boring trucks in boring Europe properly out of courtesy towards the gifter.

So I just trucked about Europe for an hour or so and can't wait until I finish my work to do more trucking. Because I felt incredibly relaxed for some reason?

I have no idea what hell's happening here, brain, but as long as you keep releasing all those pleasant hormones into my bloodstream, I'm gonna play more Euro Truck Simulator 2. Deal?

Try to get from France to UK through Calais, let me know how realistic it is :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I got gifted Euro Truck Simulator 2, so I thought I'll try that boring game about boring trucks in boring Europe properly out of courtesy towards the gifter.

So I just trucked about Europe for an hour or so and can't wait until I finish my work to do more trucking. Because I felt incredibly relaxed for some reason?

I have no idea what hell's happening here, brain, but as long as you keep releasing all those pleasant hormones into my bloodstream, I'm gonna play more Euro Truck Simulator 2. Deal?

Try the ring (R0/E19 around Brussels[*] in peak traffic, be sure to have rain and dark weather for extra masochism, do set aside an hour or three, minimum, just in case it's actually realistic... For maximum masochism you could of course try driving *through* Brussels. If you're still relaxed after that, well, I dunno what to say, really :p

* http://www.reuters.com/article/us-traffic-brussels-idUSBREA3Q03220140427 - note even though trucks are now charged as mentioned in the article nothing has really changed (aside from lost of pissed of truckers) as there are no alternatives to going over Brussels, iow it's just another tax. FWIW I work in Brussels.

Edited by marelooke

Space Hulk: Deathwing beta. Nowhere near ready for public consumption, the voice acting is sadly sub par and underused compared to DOW, and the arsenal feels a little off. There is the acorn of a good game here, however it will have to be delayed or patched mightily to bring that Oak to fruition. The environments are absolutely stunning however, and really evoke the atmosphere of a Space Hulk perfectly.

Edit: It's nice to see a Librarian brought into play so early, but even here I found his Warp born powers a little underdeveloped.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Space Hulk: Deathwing beta. Nowhere near ready for public consumption, the voice acting is sadly sub par and underused compared to DOW, and the arsenal feels a little off. There is the acorn of a good game here, however it will have to be delayed or patched mightily to bring that Oak to fruition. The environments are absolutely stunning however, and really evoke the atmosphere of a Space Hulk perfectly.

Edit: It's nice to see a Librarian brought into play so early, but even here I found his Warp born powers a little underdeveloped.

I was interested in it as I thought it will be Vermintide in space but from what I have heard its more like a MOBA? In sense you only §progress§ though mission and next one you have to start from scratch? Not interested any more in it :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I was interested in it as I thought it will be Vermintide in space but from what I have heard its more like a MOBA? In sense you only §progress§ though mission and next one you have to start from scratch? Not interested any more in it :/

Isn't it the same with Vermintide? you have a selection of maps, thorugh which you progress. First time you get those maps split "into acts" but nothing really connects. it's about loot and killing rats while taking their tomes of magic for better loot

Yaay, I bought my first truck! It has ... Horses and engine and there are wheels somewhere. There's a die hanging from my mirror ... Thingy in the middle of the ... C-ockpit. I'm not a truck god damnit, I don't know these things! Why am I playing this!?

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Yaay, I bought my first truck! It has ... Horses and engine and there are wheels somewhere. There's a die hanging from my mirror ... Thingy in the middle of the ... C-ockpit. I'm not a truck god damnit, I don't know these things! Why am I playing this!?

This is more or less what happened to me a couple of years back. I bought the game for my kids, and got one copy for myself, and I just found that it was so relaxing. I learned that I could add my own music in the Steam music playlist format, so I just chilled when I played this game. I have yet to buy American Truck Simulator, but I'm sure I will. It's a weird surprise. I don't know how to drive big trucks in real life, so yeah, weird.

I forgot to mention: I soon started to compile truck songs, similar to tunes you know rub you the right way while on the road. It's so darn cosy when rain hits your wind shield and the wipers are going.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm just having podcasts playing in the background. The game is just chill, there's a threat of failure altho it's kinda difficult to fail, there's apparently a lot of skill to learn if you wish (or completely ignore if you don't), there's always something to strive towards and... I just spent time driving about Europe. And I absolutely hate driving in real life, by the way.

I saw places that I have personally been to so I know how they actually roughly look and feel like and the game portrayed them extremely well, so when I visit those I've never been to, I feel like yes, that's probably not that remote from reality, except for scale obviously. And I have already found a few unique landmarks that I just had to go and google some info on (it's impressive how well the developers modeled these places, by the way) so I learned a bunch of stuff about places I didn't even know existed ever before. This is just ... Nice. And something I never expected to enjoy.

Edited by Fenixp

Isn't it the same with Vermintide? you have a selection of maps, thorugh which you progress. First time you get those maps split "into acts" but nothing really connects. it's about loot and killing rats while taking their tomes of magic for better loot

From what I understand in Vermintide you got permanent look which you can use in another missions, but from what I understand in Space Hulk you unlock nwe weapons only through one map? Am I missing something?

Great game, isn't it?  I put over 100 hours into ETS2, loved every minute of it.  These days, I've moved my virtual trucking across the Atlantic to American Truck Simulator.  Same game, just different trucks and setting.  ETS2 is more full featured at this point, though, as ATS is currently only California, Nevada, and Arizona, though they plan to add the whole continental US eventually.  Like you wrote, those games are just really chill and relaxing.  There's a certain joy in rolling lazily down the open road with good tunes playing on the radio.  Makes a man want to become a long haul trucker in real life...

Edit: Here's another truckin' song for ya:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Heh, I actually did the same in ArmA3 a lot. Took one of the light vehicles or a civilian car and kept driving around Altis. It's most fun if you also use hardware like TrackIR.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

From what I understand in Vermintide you got permanent look which you can use in another missions, but from what I understand in Space Hulk you unlock nwe weapons only through one map? Am I missing something?

You're correct.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Do you guys not have cars?

I sure do, but not that kind of huge rigs, and just driving a van when moving house is enough to give me the jitters. This is all relaxing:

"Oh, I caused a traffic jam, and now I totalled three brand new cars. *Shrug* It's just make-believe."

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

You're correct.

oh in this term, i got it... hmm it's a bit wasted opportunity then. not much to keep you invested past a couple maps

Do you guys not have cars?

I don't. Indeed I've never driven a car in my life. And yet I still enjoyed ETS2 for some reason.

I didn't bother compiling my own soundtrack for it though, I used the integrated internet radio functionality it has, which more games should copy.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

you guys just sold me on this Truck Simulator stuff. 

• Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

fun fact - Truck Simulator is developed by Czech company :)