we view post count as ribbons o' shame.  we would wear 'em on the inside if we could.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Public schools do it too, albeit not as blatant, but you can bet some students are being shifted to gloss the records of those in cushy positions. The whole educational system is built around stats for that purpose alone.

To be fair though, it'd my understanding they're generally speaking not supposed to. School pull all sorts of shenanigans to hide or improve numbers. When I was in HS one of the best performing schools in the area wouldn't provide weak students with their school number, so only the strongest student's scores ended up in the school's naturally high SAT average.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

When it comes to post counts, I always think on what, if anything our eldars would say about them. Cant think of any other alternatives.

Well, they'd just say some nonsense about us being foolish monkeigh and go have their Avatar die in a car accident or something.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You're kidding, right?

james-mattis-mad-dog-be-polite-be-profes

At any rate, I've had my reservations about such a decision, but the fact that in terms of fopol he couldn't be any more different from Trump if he tried allays some of my concerns over the next four years:

https://youtu.be/SCD5zHBNWG8?t=12m29s

I know he's held in high esteem by certain Marines in this forum, and reports indicate he's competent, very intelligent, and nuanced --but like a separation of powers between the Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary bodies of governmrnt, there should be an explicit chain of command of clear civilian leadership over the military at the Pentagon. That's why the 8 (formerly 10) year rule between military service and DoD leadership is in effect. It's a good and prudent law.

You're telling me you'd be upset if the military overthrew Trump?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You're kidding, right?

james-mattis-mad-dog-be-polite-be-profes

At any rate, I've had my reservations about such a decision, but the fact that in terms of fopol he couldn't be any more different from Trump if he tried allays some of my concerns over the next four years:

I know he's held in high esteem by certain Marines in this forum, and reports indicate he's competent, very intelligent, and nuanced --but like a separation of powers between the Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary bodies of governmrnt, there should be an explicit chain of command of clear civilian leadership over the military at the Pentagon. That's why the 8 (formerly 10) year rule between military service and DoD leadership is in effect. It's a good and prudent law.

Yes. I'm anti-coup d'etat here in the United States.

• Like 4

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yes. I'm anti-coup d'etat here in the United States.

Low energy Leferd, who can't predict an election in his own country; doesn't support a coup against Trump. SAD!

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

My biggest, probably only beef with Mattis is that he's so recently military. It's not even that I think that a coup is remotely possible (language which currently makes me cringe nowadays. It's that it sets a precedent for having people move from the military to cabinet positions.

I really wish Keane would have accepted the job. I think he's been out long enough. ...But at some point I need to stop complaining about that. He declined and, if nothing else, Mattis will undoubtedly do a good job. I don't think the opponents (note I didn't confine it to opposition) can muster the political clout to stop it. Once again, if you feel strongly, write, call, email, and carrier pigeon your senator, especially on the fence Republican senators. A flood of calls won't always do the trick, but it has an impact.

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

There remain other conceivable scenarios. For instance, should Trump not be amenable to the wisdom of Mattis and the potential SecState Pertraeus (as stated before, Mattis is very much in favour of continued engagement in world affairs which stands in stark contrast to Trump's Know-Nothing campaign rhetoric on foreign policy, and history has shown Trump to be the type that values loyalty above all else and is utterly intolerant of criticism), they may elect to resign, and given how Mattis and Pertraeus are quite popular in both military and civilian circles many in the State Department and DoD may choose to follow them.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think that's unlikely, Agiel, but more likely than in the Obama administration. Not just because I think tensions are generally higher, but because Democrats are far better at remaining united under bad leadership. Obama was popular, but his signature legislative (or rather executive pen) accomplishments are either spotty or downright unpopular. I've seen posts from some of you defending them, and I won't engage in substance. I'm talking perception. For that reason, it doesn't matter why, only that I think you're right that it's more likely that a large scale protest by resignation could take place. Unlikely, like I said, but still more likely by a good margin. Not exactly a coup, but still tough on a Republic and even tougher if it happened in the early days.

I'm telling you guys, it's really starting to look like this isn't some sort of problem with inexperience or lack of skill. Trump honestly appears to be contriving this sort of edge of the seat angle and I can't figure out why. Does he think that "The Presidency" requires higher Neilson ratings? I'm not all *that* old, but this is still the screwiest transition process I've seen. I actually kind of admire the chutzpah, but I find it worrisome.

tight as a tourniquet,

Kind of feel sorry for Mattis, having to deal with Trump :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I entirely support the Obama administration pushing for requiring women to sign up for the draft at 18. It just seems fair. And the idea that we'd have a draft in anything other than a global reach war situation is nuts anyway, so it's not like they'll get drafted, only register, which is what all men have to do at 18 also. I turned 18 in the Navy and I still had to register. I was really confused by the idea that I would be in defiance of the law if I didn't register to serve while serving.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/01/obama-supports-registering-women-military-draft/90449708/

• Like 1

tight as a tourniquet,

"What kind of man lets a woman take a bullet for him?"

You'd rather take a bullet for a woman?

You beat me to it, rat bastard! I was going to say that men wanted women around in order to take a bullet for *them.* Hey saving a lady's life is probably a decided advantage in getting her to sleep with you. Of course, knowing some of the Wandering Monsters I've seen, you might rather not.

tight as a tourniquet,

"You beat me to it, rat bastard! I was going to say that men wanted women around in order to take a bullet for *them.* Hey saving a lady's life is probably a decided advantage in getting her to sleep with you. Of course, knowing some of the Wandering Monsters I've seen, you might rather not."

When I chunked Haer'Dalis in Baulders Gate Aerie sure didn't like it.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I wouldn't force women to fight in the first place. There's no equality on this issue, men are natural killers, women are not. If they volunteer, that's a different story.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You beat me to it, rat bastard! I was going to say that men wanted women around in order to take a bullet for *them.* Hey saving a lady's life is probably a decided advantage in getting her to sleep with you. Of course, knowing some of the Wandering Monsters I've seen, you might rather not.

Let them?

As RND said it's equality

But guys dont you think its normal for men to put themselves in danger before a women has to, obviously I mean in a non-military environment 

Its the same principle when a ship is sinking. The expected way passengers are saved is " women and children first " 

I doubt I would jump on a lifeboat before a women or a child?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In an equal world, Bruce, we wouldn't think of these things. ...But yeah, when things have gotten chancy, I step in front of my wife. It's only happened a few times over the decades I've known her because, frankly, we're pretty safe in our society. I can't help that I was raised to feel like the husband is supposed to protect his wife, but that doesn't mean I don't think that able bodied women shouldn't be required to sign up for the draft. I don't care if they're drafted into combat positions, but they should register.

Also, the idea that women aren't killers... got threaten some kids with their mother around and see whether women will kill.

tight as a tourniquet,

And who's going to take care of those children after you send the mother into combat to be killed? This absolutist equality crap has completely perverted the concept of humanity.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

I wouldn't force women to fight in the first place. There's no equality on this issue, men are natural killers, women are not. If they volunteer, that's a different story.

tenor.gif

You're not actually trying to return this to a discussion of presidential politics, are you? :D I got a kick out of the story, but these things are true for every election. I don't think there's one where someone somewhere didn't regret the vote. Hell, I regretted my vote and I'd do it anyway because there was no vote I could have made that I wouldn't regret. Maybe if Johnson hadn't melted down, I might have voted for him. I think the wife, who is actually pretty conservative, probably voted for Stein because it came down to Johnson or Stein and Johnson said something that irritated her and Stein seemed like the 'nicest' one of the bunch. All things being equal, I guess the vote you don't regret is the one where you hate the candidate the least.

tight as a tourniquet,