If you lived and grew up in California, but don't currently reside there and haven't for a few years, can you still call yourself a Californian? Or am I now an ex-Californian? :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If you lived and grew up in California, but don't currently reside there and haven't for a few years, can you still call yourself a Californian? Or am I now an ex-Californian? :(

I'll claim you. Then again, I'm easy. I always think of myself as Nevadan, even though I haven't lived there for a whole consecutive 12 months in about 38 years.

I feel cold as a razor blade,

tight as a tourniquet,

dry... as a funeral... drum... as it were...

Given the SJW culture that has quite frankly infested the state, be it their universities or the bay area, I'd personally lie about being Californian just like many lie about being American when they travel abroad. I mean, who wants that stigma? 

Edited by licketysplit

Given the SJW culture that has quite frankly infested the state, be it their universities or the bay area, I'd personally lie about being Californian just like many lie about being American when they travel abroad. I mean, who want's that stigma?

Dude, you're harshing my buzz. Yeah, we've got crazies here in California, but who doesn't? Hell, the Canadians make fun of us and they've got Rob Ford.

tight as a tourniquet,

California has such a bad rap for being overwhelmingly liberal...large swathes of the state are pretty conservative (and Christian!). This is the state that overturned...what was it, gay marriage?...by referendum not *that* incredibly long ago, after all. Yes, the state is still majority liberal...but it's not like the entire thing is just a hellhole of PC and SJW culture and such.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Licketysplit seems to have a serious case of envy. Ah yes, things are terrible here in the Bay Area. All these crazy people keep innovating the world and starting massively successful companies. Keep your distance, it may be contagious!

A question for WoD - why is it a man's duty to fight and die while the woman stay aside from antiqued gender roles? Why it it better for a child to lose a father, or fathers because gay couples having kids is a thing, than to loose a mother or mothers? Why shouldn't woman fight besides sexist drivel?

Oh, wait, it's because you're clinging to that drivel for dear life.

It's rooted down to basic biology. At the most base level, women are birth and life and men are war.

Spoken like someone who hadn't had a biology class since high school.

Spoken like a petty woman.

Do you, or do you not have a background in biology beyond a basic high school education?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

", but women have it mentally.  "

People spam this but it doesn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny. the closest the facts get to dtemenrining who is smarter between men and women is that men tend to have more dummies and more geniuses while women tend to more average or run of the mill.

But, in real life, it's all irrelevant. Instead of relying on stereotypes like a lazy person treat people like individuals. Only SJW Nazis play this kind of nonesne. And, yes, I include ALL SJW Nazis - not just the left's but also the right's.

volo I am of the opinion women are mentally stronger than men on an average. Men are better at some things so it balances out 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If New York and California seceded, the US economy would crash faster than you can say "Alan Greenspan was a dogmatic idiot".

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"volo I am of the opinion women are mentally stronger than men on an average. Men are better at some things so it balances out "

You also thought that Clinton was the best choice for President. You were wrong,  there too. Did you not read my post? I'll do it again.

Males tend to have more geniuses and more dumbasses while females tend to be middle of the road intelligence more oftenh than not. However, in the end, male and female intelligence is basically  close together.

So, stop your silly sexism and your lies.

If women were so smart, btw, why do you feel the need to treat them like little children?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

volo I am of the opinion women are mentally stronger than men on an average. Men are better at some things so it balances out 

What do you mean by, "Mentally stronger"?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

If New York and California seceded, the US economy would crash faster than you can say "Alan Greenspan was a dogmatic idiot".

If any part of the US separated it would be economically disastrous in the short term. But both regions would recover quicker than you'd think so long as they were able to trade freely and amicably. In the long run the remainder of the US would recover full and accommodate itself to the new arrangement. Whether or not the new nation states would depends on smart governance and a reasonable expectations of the quality of service and life of the populace. Since we are talking about California here I suspect it will spend itself into oblivion once it's tax base can no longer support it's excesses. I expect that will happen pretty quick.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

California has a balanced budget.  As long as we stick with fiscally conservative governors, we should be more than fine. 

I believe the appropriate term is Governator. If we're gonna secede, we go about it our own way.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What do you mean by, "Mentally stronger"?

Carrie.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wonder which states leaving the Union would have the least impact

Rhode Island? One of the plains states? Mississippi or another big moocher state?

On the remaining 49? I'd say Hawaii. It's resource footprint in minimal. On the State itself? There are a few that could survive as independent nations. If California actually did break away it would immediately be the 11th largest economy in the world. Texas would be the 15th largest and it would be especially stable if it could convince Oklahoma and Louisiana to go with. Florida, maybe. Maybe not. It would have to greatly expand it's offshore oil exploration and stop driving its agriculture out of business. Alaska is rich in gold and oil but would have to buy literally everything else from the US, Canada, Russia or Japan. That would not be sustainable. I don't think any other State or even cluster of States could do it. Especially not land locked states. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Florida has too many old people. It would crash and burn. besides, who would they elect as leader. We all know when it comes to elections Florida is incapable of doing it smoothly. L0L I wonder how many Kanadian retirees illegally vote in that state. L0L

California isn't going to secede. It would require the rest of the states to let it go. Administratively, there is theoretically a process by which it could be done, but the other states won't let California go and it wouldn't the bed of roses that some Californians envision. As for our 'balanced budget?' bwahahahaha

several minutes later

hahahaha Whew, that was a good one. California is house poor, built on debt, and an awful lot of what state does, both as a larger entity and by county and various communities, is done by taking on more debt. The state looks good right now in the same way that a failing farmer looks flush right after he's secured another loan from a big bank but still manages to spend more money than his income can support in the long haul. There will be a reckoning in California, and it won't be pretty. Of course, I believe that's true of all western democracies in some way or another.

tight as a tourniquet,

California isn't going to secede. It would require the rest of the states to let it go. Administratively, there is theoretically a process by which it could be done, but the other states won't let California go and it wouldn't the bed of roses that some Californians envision.

Sadly, you're right. No one leaves the union, ever.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The Dems already learned that the way the last time they tried to leave. It ened up with lots of dead Demos and their slaves being freed... only for the Dems to recapture them with trickery and lies.

hahahaha Whew, that was a good one. California is house poor, built on debt, and an awful lot of what state does, both as a larger entity and by county and various communities, is done by taking on more debt. The state looks good right now in the same way that a failing farmer looks flush right after he's secured another loan from a big bank but still manages to spend more money than his income can support in the long haul. There will be a reckoning in California, and it won't be pretty. Of course, I believe that's true of all western democracies in some way or another.

I don't know, I think we are in better position for a recession than we were the last. What are actual economists saying on the subject?

Edited by Hurlshot

http://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/California-s-400-billion-debt-worries-analysts-6812264.php

I don't hate California. I also don't hate Jerry Brown. I actually very rarely hate politicians and when I do, I will tell you with utmost sincerity my real ire is reserved for people in my own party who show themselves to be faithless or corrupt.

The state is required to balance its budget, but that means floating bonds. When the legislature isn't screwing things up, the voters themselves will simultaneously vote for lower taxes and higher spending. Pet projects incur more debt and education by law get essentially a cut of anything that comes down the pike. Want to fund an infrastructure project? Better secure twice as much so you can pay tribute to education. That spending isn't spent efficiently, so schools still have problems. That said, education isn't as bad in California as people will often claim, but it's in everyone's interest to deride education in California. Conservatives can point to it in order to promote vouchers which is probably one of the weak point for Democrats since minority groups are starting to favor vouchers in significant numbers. Liberals can deride education in order to ask for more funding. Education is another big can of worms, and I don't even want to delve too deeply into it, only to cite it as one example of the weird budgeting process. California isn't alone in these issues, which is really my problem. Western democracies have serious structural problems and eventually the chickens will all come home to roost.

tight as a tourniquet,

I could totally go for California seceding. They've been brilliant in electing a celebrity governor. Because celebrity matters the most in CA! Genius level decision making from the left and right in CA. So yeah, please do detach, like some regressive cancer from the rest of the country that values logic and free thinking, and isn't mired in Hollywood celebrity.

Yeah...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra