What You Did Today

Rosbjerg

Happy day!

I hope to see whatever new shiny projectiles you may have collected. 

Mani its some unexpected good news, Woldan is back and kicking  :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

i witnessed a quite serious car crash earlier. 

i was driving on the highway (2 lanes in each direction with a 1m concrete wall separating the 2 directions) when someone on the other side fell asleep on the wheel. in that particular place the other side had a concrete wall on the right side of the road as well to prevent debris falling from the mountainside. he hit the right wall, bounced off, hit head on the concrete wall in the middle, made a 180, hit the middle wall again with the back of the car and them rolled and came to a stop with the front of the car (or what was left of it) on the right wall.

luckily enough, the passengers got out with a few cuts and bruises and there wasn't any traffic to make the situation worse. i thought they would get more hurt since when they hit the middle wall the first time, the impact was so strong that the back wheels of the car jumped high enough to be seen over the wall.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

The toxicity ebbs and flows with the moon cycles.

And then there's the confluence with the election cycle. And the 17 year cicada cycle.  And the washing machine's spin cycle.  And the Bi cycle.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

For every natural lifter its a goal to be able to pick a barbell -weighing as much as the lifter itself- up from the floor, clean it to the shoulders and shoulder press it without any kind of leg drive or jerking, just with raw upper body strength. The thing with lifting is, the bigger you are the harder bodyweight lifts become. Which means a 70kg guy pressing 70 is not as impressive as a 90kg guy pressing 90.  I just did that lift, weighing in at 104kg / 230lbs, and I had more in the tank. I'm super happy.

I blame Isaac Newton! Welcome back.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This sort of thing never happens, which is why I can't forget it. Today was the second day as a working guest on the second floor in a small office building ... a two-story rectangular with a central hall, lengthwise front to rear, four or five interior doors spaced on either side, like a Vegas hotel. Yesterday at random, she almost bumped into me at the entrance ... she said, 'excuse me', I said 'excuse me'. This morning, in the hall, I passed one door, heard it click open, then that feeling you get when you know someone is ardently striding behind you, assessing your shape, pace, and attitude. I reached the destination door, card key, green light, pause, open, look behind, that's her immediately on my six o'clock. Enter, hold the door, step aside, she says 'thank you', I said, in my mind, you are a high-speed hard body, your will is my command ... nothing actually came out of my mouth, thank god. Hours later, the exact same thing happened, in the opposite direction. I strode east, instead of west, past the same door, it opens, same feeling. I reach the exit, open, look behind, it's her. Exit, hold the door, two other females are approaching from the outside to enter, hold the door, step aside, a trio of platitudes. She was already at the bottom step by the time I allowed the door to close. Pride and decorum disallowed me from staring as she left, so, that was the last time I saw her. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

A few weeks into the new warehouse management system at work. I'm starting to figure out the ins and outs of the system, I'm pretty technically minded, so it comes pretty easy to me. The system has caused us a ton of problems, we are shipping out what seems like about half of the product we were under the old system, because it takes so much longer to go through the process, and issues with the setup means orders sometimes have to sit on the floor for days waiting for a single item. Incoming shipments are a mess, as they are trying to set everything up virtually as we were the first branch to go online, so all our stock from toronto is still being picked and shipped under the old system. So half of what we get isn't in the new system, we have orders the computer doesn't know about, and we are constantly manually adjusting stock. Its incredibly inefficient and most of the staff consider it a disaster.

On the other hand, I find fixing all the issues in the system much more enjoyable than lifting boxes, so despite it being a complete disaster for the branch so far, my job satisfaction has gone up, and the higher ups have noticed how well I'm doing with it. My old boss that was transferred to Edmonton called me asking for advice on how the system works and how to properly set up his warehouse for the switch and mentioned that I have been noticed, so thats nice. Hopefully once all the bugs are worked out, everything is online, and we stop shelling out twice what we spend on long term staff on temps, I can get a raise.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It always feels good to be successful where others aren't...unless or until it's supposed to be a task handled by multiple people, and it ends up with you being the perpetual 'go-to' that everyone else uses as a crutch. This unfortunately seems to happen way too often in workplace environments.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Health issues, yay. I actually feel fine, but my doctor's concerned with good reason. Got some tests coming up and the provider who accepts my insurance is on the high end for the area, YIPPEE.

I already decided to give up soda before the visits and have been doing good on that. But now it's necessary I give up red meat, soup (this is the real sacrifice here), drastically reduce my salt, and I think I'll toss in alcohol for good measure. I am so going to miss soup.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm surprised on the soup.  I assume you mean the restaurant and store bought types, since they are typically loaded with salt.  But I make a couple really nice soups that have little to no salt in them, so let me know if you need some recipes.  There are also a couple good low sodium options out there in stores.

I make a couple really nice soups that have little to no salt in them, so let me know if you need some recipes.

YOU GIVE, YOU GIVE NOW

Hmm, blood pressure issues? Hope you get better soon. :thumbsup:

And cholesterol! The good news is apparently that the blood pressure problem runs in the family, so there's probably absolutely nothing I can do about it and cutting back on salt won't help. Maybe. I'd still like to give it a try.

I make a couple really nice soups that have little to no salt in them, so let me know if you need some recipes.

YOU GIVE, YOU GIVE NOW

to make a soup recipe a low-sodium soup recipe is easy even for culinary challenged. 2 steps.

1) replace stock in recipe with "low sodium" variant.

2) use kosher salt for dashes or pinches or whatnot.

that's it.  low sodium beef, chicken, vegetable, ham, turkey and fish stocks tend to taste like arse.  you can make your own and they will taste better than pre-made varieties, but they is still gonna be less flavorful as salt is a taste enhancer.  stock is kinda the foundation o' any non-cream soup.  also, use the kosher salt 'cause individual crystals is much larger and you is actual getting far less salt in a pinch or dash or even standard measurements when utilizing kosher salt as 'posed to traditional table salt.

simple, no?

HA! Good Fun!

ps if you chose to not make your own stock, be wary o' claims that a pre-made stock is actual "low sodium."  call something "low sodium" doesn't make it true.  check labels close for salt content.

pps if a recipe calls for canned tomatoes, use fresh instead... dice and remove seeds. recommend roma. 

example:

https://food52.com/recipes/35254-frances-moore-lappe-s-lentils-monastery-style

no can tomatoes. and use low sodium stock.  got yourself a low sodium soup.

almost the same as our monastery lentils.  skip the swiss cheese and perhaps use small amount o' quality shredded Parmesan post cooking to keep salt as low as possible.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Back in classes. Assuming I don't run into any bumps I'll be done in Spring 2018.

Vet's 80% certain one of my new kittens has FIP, which is fatal. If the meds haven't made him better in a week, we have to put it down. :(

**** man, that really sucks.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

simple, no?

He offered recipes. What good is your advice if I still need other recipes to use it?

Good day to you, sir. GOOD DAY

• Like 1

simple, no?

He offered recipes. What good is your advice if I still need other recipes to use it?

Good day to you, sir. GOOD DAY

am tempted to state the obvious.

nope.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yep, he's got a private room now with his own box, food and water.

I have two cats so you have my sympathies. Just....don't wait too long if he suffers.  ;(

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

am tempted to state the obvious.

nope.

HA! Good Fun!

I said GOOD DAY!
  • Like 1

Sadly Gromnir is right, the best way to make a healthy soup is to buy the low sodium broth.  :p

I use Kitchen Basics, but really anything other than Swanson is a good choice, just check out the salt content.  I don't get the unsalted, because I think I'd probably put in too much salt myself making up for the bland flavor.  I know Gromnir loves to make it himself, but when he explained the whole process a few years ago in the cooking thread its sounded like a lot of work! 

My easiest soup is Cauliflower Soup which is really just as simple as it gets.  I tend to throw some romano or other sharp cheese on top to give it some character, and there are a lot of tweaks you can do to it.

My favorite is Leek Potato Soup (I love Alton Brown.)  This one is a bit heartier.  I leave out the buttermilk, and I think my wife puts a dollop of sour cream.  You can play with the recipe a bit.

Both of these are great for dipping a bit of bread.  I'm ready for winter now.  :) 

• Like 1