US Elections 2016

Gorth

We're hurtling towards a point where our entire civilization as we know it is going to collapse in a few decades. I get it, you're not concerned, you'll be dead by then, but could you please not mischaracterize the irresponsibility that is probably going to cost thousands, if not millions of lives in the future as "disagreeing with the Federal Government"?

For the purposes of discussion I wll take no position on veracity of climate change being caused by humans. We are talking solely about facing criminal charges for publicly stating the Federal Governments position is wrong. 

No, we're not. See also:

That said the question in the posted video seems to be pointed towards a suggestion of a RICO style conspiracy by Energy Companies to mislead and endanger the public ala "Big Tobacco", which isn't 100% analogous to being prosecuted for being "wrong" either.

If things that are told in media are true, then case seems to be that Federal Government has been asked to investigate possibility of if fossil-fuel companies have practiced similar doctoring of scientific evidence and false marketing as which tobacco industry was convicted in 90s. So charges would not be for disagreeing with federal government but knowingly deceived public about something that is or could be harmful for them.  

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

In-depth, analytical report on the election from Finland: https://www.facebook.com/funnyordie/videos/10153932965328851/

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If things that are told in media are true, then case seems to be that Federal Government has been asked to investigate possibility of if fossil-fuel companies have practiced similar doctoring of scientific evidence and false marketing as which tobacco industry was convicted in 90s. So charges would not be for disagreeing with federal government but knowingly deceived public about something that is or could be harmful for them.

Something deeply ironic about the US Federal government being against public deception :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think you're referring to when she called Obama out for not referring to "Islamic extremism" as such? I'm kind of split on the issue. I do believe that what we call "Islamic extremism" is at the roots mostly issue-related and in that sense the "Islamic" label is just there because of the nations where the issues exist, but that does of course not mean that we should not look at the phenomenon of Islamic extremism collectively as one phenomenon, in which case the "Islamic" label is actually helpful.

More on Tulsi Gabbard's archenemy DWS here. Select quotes:

“The sergeant-at-arms said, ‘The people that run this want you ejected, they don’t want you here,’” Fouts said.

When asked if it was Wasserman Schultz making the request, Fouts said, “The security guy said, ‘Don’t say I said it.’”

“The Democratic debate is totally controlled by Hillarys [sic] good friend DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz,” Fouts wrote in a Facebook post. “No commentary is allowed by the audience. Particularly if you are cheering Bernie Sanders. Persons who do not adhere to Hillarys [sic] rules are threatened with expulsion.”

He also said the Democratic Party’s debate process “borders on totalitarian control” and, in an interview on Monday, he said Wasserman Schultz should resign.

Apparently DWS also tried disinviting Tulsi Gabbard from a debate. Go figure.

Yeah, was curious on who she is and why she is so awesome. Found what had to be a hatchet article on her having close ties with the BJP among other things about her being in Dem clothing.

Find it funny people bring up democracy in political parties, seems to be against their very nature - at least the way they are here - what with their whips and all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Something deeply ironic about the US Federal government being against public deception :lol:

They aren't. It's about power, money, and furthering more deception to achieve more power.

Kiddin' right? If those were the refugees, I'd let them in to my home anytime they want. Of course, they'd, in turn, label me a sexist rapist pervert and have me coldly murdered. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

12800159_1037142806356628_63093554759278

There's about 660 000 swedes living abroad, as in they still have a swedish citizenship. About 150 000 of them live in the US. I dunno about their reasons though.

//edit: i forgot the finnish figures, it's about 17 000 at the moment.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Long article on Obama's foreign doctrine and relations- not directly related to the election itself but there's a lot relevant there when it comes to the necessity of appearing 'strong' above all else plus some stuff on The Establishment, and Hillary. Pretty much reiterates my view that with the Syrian red line stuff the mistake was only in having the red line, not in stepping back from it. Plus France, Britain, KSA etc are all basically called chickenhawks, and it makes me laugh that someone political would actually say that.

• Like 1

Bernie Sanders Just Won Support from the Most Unlikely Person

Bernie Sanders is receiving some unlikely support as of Wednesday.Asher Edelman, the inspiration for Gordon Gekko in Oliver Stone’s "Wall Street," was asked on CNBC’s "Fast Money" who would be his choice for the next President of the United States. He quickly responded, "Bernie Sanders… No question."

When pressed for further explanation, he began setting up his answer by saying, "I think it’s quite simple again. If you look at something called ‘velocity of money… That means how much gets spent and turns around…" and then continued:

"When you have the top one percent getting money, they spend five-ten percent of what they earn. When you have the lower end of the economy getting money, they spend a hundred, or a hundred and ten percent of what they earn. As you’ve had a transfer of wealth to the top, and a transfer of income to the top, you have a shrinking consumer base, basically, and you have a shrinking velocity of money."

He added:

"Bernie is the only person out there who I think is talking at all about both fiscal stimulation and banking rules that will get the banks to begin to generate lending again as opposed to speculation."

Edelman concluded by saying, "So from an economic point of view, it’s straight-forward."

Edelman bought and sold distressed companies for 30 years and made a name for himself working in high end investing, becoming famous enough to inspire the character of Gordon Gekko. He is considered one of the "Godfathers of Wall Street" and to him, it’s "straight-forward economics" — Bernie Sanders is the candidate America needs to get itself on a solid financial track

Furthermore, Sanders will not put us back on the crooked track the U.S. has been bumping along on for far too many years, but an entirely new one capable of helping every American aspire to something greater, regardless of class.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Lets take money from the rich"

"And the give it to poor"

"Who will use it to pay services"

"Which are owned by rich"

"And then rich will be again rich"

"And cycle starts from beginning"

"It's simple economy baby"

EDIT: Okay I am bad in lyric writing  :facepalm::blush:

Edited by Elerond

There's about 660 000 swedes living abroad, as in they still have a swedish citizenship. About 150 000 of them live in the US. I dunno about their reasons though.

They wed military men so they can sit at home collecting on a fat check of military benefits.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

They wed military men so they can sit at home collecting on a fat check of military benefits.

Poor soldiers!  Tricked into wedding leggy blondes!

• Like 1

Trump talking about acting the same as ISIS and people hooting. Wow.

Long article on Obama's foreign doctrine and relations- not directly related to the election itself but there's a lot relevant there when it comes to the necessity of appearing 'strong' above all else plus some stuff on The Establishment, and Hillary. Pretty much reiterates my view that with the Syrian red line stuff the mistake was only in having the red line, not in stepping back from it. Plus France, Britain, KSA etc are all basically called chickenhawks, and it makes me laugh that someone political would actually say that.

Chickenhawks lolololololo, brilliant!

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Trump talking about acting the same as ISIS and people hooting. Wow.

Source?

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Poor soldiers!  Tricked into wedding leggy blondes!

If only I'd known, I would have listened to the military recruiters more.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man