US Elections 2016

Gorth

Secondly, those of the tribe of Donald Trump. They are more morally flexible, but not to a point of complete relativists. They admire strength, courage, and sense of purpose above all. They want to create a better world where these values trump everything else. Therefore these creatures cannot be attacked by the current world by its current values (any -ism), because being against them is what they pride themselves in. Therefore encapsulated by the following music:

Since I'm now shilling for Trump I probably shouldn't point out that Starship troopers is a universe where the axis won WW2. Oh well. It had to be done.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Don't think the Axis won WW2 in the novel, seems things were as they were when he wrote it. China defeats the West in a war and that eventually leads to the soldiers having a revolution, if I recall correctly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't think the Axis won WW2 in the novel, seems things were as they were when he wrote it. China defeats the West in a war and that eventually leads to the soldiers having a revolution, if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure the "axis won ww2" thing was just the movie.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Can't wait for the Clinton/Trump attack ads to appear on my tv/radio/mailbox/internets.

Should be fun.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Okay, not directly US Election related, but might be of some interest...

Active Hate Groups By State

Last week, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) released a state-by-state interactive map showing where so-called hate groups operate in the United States.

The SPLC found 939 hate groups were active in America, and it defined these groups as those that aren't necessarily violent but have beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people. SPLC made the list using hate group publications and websites, citizen and police reports, field sources, and news reports. 

Mark Potok, the author of the report and senior fellow at the SPLC, told Business Insider that the number of hate groups in each state more or less correlates with the state's population. 

"Another thing to consider when analyzing this data is that certain hate groups reside in particular areas. The Klan will almost always be in rural areas whereas, the Black Separatists are mostly in the cities," Potok said. 

There are two hate groups to watch in 2014, Potok says — the white supremacists in the American Freedom Party and the small but violent racist skinhead gang called Crew 41.

Racist Southern California skinheads initially founded the American Freedom political party in 2009 with the goal of deporting immigrants. The group's political platform represents "the interests of White Americans" and includes a stance on taxes, drones, environmental pollution and ironically, calls for a free society where "people live their day to day lives as they wish, without being molded like guinea pigs."

"They have for years, been running in political elections and haven't done all that well. They have however, recently gathered the top influential white supremacists to run their board and are becoming more aggressive about winning elections," Potok said. 

Crew 41 — aka "Die Auserwählten" meaning "the chosen" in German — was created and organized online by a pop-up gang last summer. Multiple crimes have since occurred and members have expressed the desire to kill sex offenders. In South Carolina, members of Crew 41 reportedly shot and stabbed a middle-aged couple because the husband was on a registered sex offender list.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Merrick Garland announced as Obama's SCOTUS nominee.

He was given10/3 odds behind Sri Srinivasan and Paul Watford immediately following Scalia's death.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84229-us-elections-2016/?p=1775107

Reports are that he's a moderate who scews left.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

He was given10/3 odds behind Sri Srinivasan and Paul Watford immediately following Scalia's death.

Interesting.  I knew he wasn't going to go with a liberal, that would be a waste of time for everyone.  The big question is will Republicans accept that this is a decent moderate choice, or will they try and roll the dice and hope they can win the presidency and nominate a more conservative voice.  Seems like a big gamble, but heck if I understand half the stuff they do.

Particularly seeing as how Trump isn't even that conservative, and appears to be winning the nomination...:p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Interesting.  I knew he wasn't going to go with a liberal, that would be a waste of time for everyone.  The big question is will Republicans accept that this is a decent moderate choice, or will they try and roll the dice and hope they can win the presidency and nominate a more conservative voice.  Seems like a big gamble, but heck if I understand half the stuff they do.

He's generally considered to be one of the most qualified possible candidates based on experience and understanding of the law, so that's a plus. 

Here's a (long) review of his case history. 

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/04/the-potential-nomination-of-merrick-garland/

• Like 3

https://youtu.be/KL8BpbWP7_8

Bernie in 1988. Pretty good watch.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

That hair.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That hair.

It's one position he definitely flip-flopped on.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

http://archive.is/BNBPX

"The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That's the conflict here," Curly Haugland, an unbound GOP delegate from North Dakota, told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday. He even questioned why primaries and caucuses are held.

Oh, and also:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDBS8bYGhWr/

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Interesting analysis from Nate Silver based on the current info on hand:

40 percent chance of President Clinton with a Democratic Senate.

30 percent chance of Clinton with a Republican Senate.

20 percent chance of President Trump (probably with a Republican Senate).

10 percent chance of Cruz, John Kasich or some other Republican.

And more...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-could-do-a-lot-worse-than-merrick-garland-under-president-clinton-or-president-trump/

And more...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-could-do-a-lot-worse-than-merrick-garland-under-president-clinton-or-president-trump/

I think Nate Silver is wrong. Here are MY odds:

10 percent chance of President Hillary with Democratic Senate

5 percent chance of President Hillary with Republican Senate

84.5 Percent chance of President Trump with Republican Senate

0.5 Percent chance of some other republican

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

And more...http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-could-do-a-lot-worse-than-merrick-garland-under-president-clinton-or-president-trump/

100 Percent chance I'm not sure. We're going to have to see if Rubio's support coaleces around Cruz or if there's a brokered convention, in either of those cases Trump will not get the nomination and ot could very well happen.

Hot damn that's a long read.

Edited by KaineParker

And more...

Nah. Nate's made me some decent money in fantasy baseball and Vegas in general. I'll go with his picks.

Updated Hibernian Conspirator odds at Paddy Power:

Clinton 4/9

The Donald 5/2

Kasich 20/1

Bernie Lean 22/1

Cruz 25/1

Biden 50/1

Romney 100/1

Paul Ryan 100/1

There's been some definite movement with Kasich getting better odds than Cruz and Sanders. Clinton also increased her favorite status.