US Elections 2016

Gorth

Ooops, better select better examples next time, fellas.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just to spiral out of the way of hot vampire ladies and to sort of get back to politics...

12670912_10154151127262150_3594591640565

This really doesn't fit Trump.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Just to spiral out of the way of hot vampire ladies and to sort of get back to politics...

12670912_10154151127262150_3594591640565

This really doesn't fit Trump.

I agree...thats why I said to Volo we need to try to put all this Trump criticism in context 

I am opposed to him but I wont support this hyperbole 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Going back to the Vampiresses debate I have  a thing for hot Vampiresses..its actually quite common to be find them alluring and seductive

Well, vampires are a sex metaphor. Duh.

You sure? Maybe in Hungary.....people in the rural areas still believe in Vampires I assume ?

What.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Going back to the Vampiresses debate I have  a thing for hot Vampiresses..its actually quite common to be find them alluring and seductive

Well, vampires are a sex metaphor. Duh.

You sure? Maybe in Hungary.....people in the rural areas still believe in Vampires I assume ?

What.

I'm just teasing you...remember last time when you assumed I was generalizing about crime in Hungary :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Vampires originally weren't a sex metaphor. Since their introduction into pop culture from Dracula they've become a lot of different things, including a metaphor for sexuality.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I was under the impression Vampires were originally thought of as bloated corpses come back to **** their widows. Am I missing something?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Again, it depends on which culture your Vampires are coming from.  But that's one of the standard views for how the European myths of Vampires come from. It's why they were generally ugly-ass mothers before the likes of Byron and then Stoker went to work on the Vampire myth.

For the other flip side of politics:

10373687_10208789581720515_6313987654431

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I was under the impression Vampires were originally thought of as bloated corpses come back to **** their widows. Am I missing something?

Vampire is a Serbian word (the only one to enter the "world vocabulary"), although the legend has many variations and names in Eastern European and Balkan mythology. Incidentally, the local term for Werewolf ("vukodlak" - "wolf-fur") was used interchangeably with it in folk tales. One of the terms used, "upir" points to its origin - Slavic folk belief that people who were not burnt on a funeral pyre would be unable to depart from the world and would haunt it. This was probably an explanation for the "inexplicable" in local events and the phenomenon of a body bloated with gas looking ruddy and "alive".

Everything else is layering on top of this (alleged) base legend.

Since there are very few sources of Slavic mythology, if any, that's probably the best explanation there is.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Vampire is a Serbian word (the only one to enter the "world vocabulary"), although the legend has many variations and names in Eastern European and Balkan mythology. Incidentally, the local term for Werewolf ("vukodlak" - "wolf-fur") was used interchangeably with it in folk tales. One of the terms used, "upir" points to its origin - Slavic folk belief that people who were not burnt on a funeral pyre would be unable to depart from the world and would haunt it. This was probably an explanation for the "inexplicable" in local events and the phenomenon of a body bloated with gas looking ruddy and "alive".

Everything else is layering on top of this (alleged) base legend.

Since there are very few sources of Slavic mythology, if any, that's probably the best explanation there is.

Its interesting that bit of Serb folklore 

How old is Serbia? Where did Serbs come from originally and why is there not much Slavic mythology

And what is the definition from a European view of a Slav?

I have said this before but I never understand some of this EU historical acrimony....the view that East European people should feel they are looked down on by some people in the EU 

John Milton 

I thought they were laywer metaphors

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The last, hmm, say, hundred years of pop culture says hi.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The last, hmm, say, hundred years of pop culture says hi.

alum you didnt find my joke funny, I thought you would find it funny because of last time?

John Milton 

I come here for politics and all of you are talking about banging vampires.

Well ok then. Gee I wonder why American politics are so warped.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Salma Hayek, man

...even with the unibrow in Frida

That was the one thing we all agreed on!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

12821514_1155388451168628_60535904493835

Frank Zappa is cool, but he's clearly not in education.  It varies by state, but in California they teach about the Constitution in 8th grade and then again in high school, typically in your senior year as part of the principals of American Democracy and Economics content standards.  This can be called a few different things, depending on the school district. 

edit:  The term social studies, which is actually called social science, refers to a wide range of topics that are covered throughout the k-12 curriculum, including 'civics'

Edited by Hurlshot

So I posted this in the Music thread already but I thought it deserved to be posted here too, as the video can be interpreted as an amusing and somewhat accurate, yet surreal, visual allegory on the state of American politics. I figure the red guy as a Republican and the blue as a Democrat. Use your imagination to determine what everyone/everything else in the video represents. It's quite rich with symbolism methinks.

Enjoy!

Edited by Valsuelm

pic

Frank Zappa is cool, but he's clearly not in education.  It varies by state, but in California they teach about the Constitution in 8th grade and then again in high school, typically in your senior year as part of the principals of American Democracy and Economics content standards.  This can be called a few different things, depending on the school district. 

edit:  The term social studies, which is actually called social science, refers to a wide range of topics that are covered throughout the k-12 curriculum, including 'civics'

never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

SNL sketch about Clinton's adaptabilityIt 

Its not available in my country? Elerond please post links people can access....not everyone lives in Europe :)

John Milton 

SNL sketch about Clinton's adaptabilityIt 

Its not available in my country? Elerond please post links people can access....not everyone lives in Europe :)

You need to blame Americans for this iniquity, as it is on official Saturday Night Live channel, meaning that it is NBC that has decided that people in South Africa can't watch it.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1