Blame Social Justice Warriors for Donald Trump

Valsuelm

This forum is nothing compared to how it was on the BIS forums in 'Ye Olde Political'. Those were the days.

Guys  but I'm sure we can all agree the general tone and decorum has improved since we all became cognizant of the  SJ environment  

No, tone and decorum improved once those that were disrupting it moved on or were shown the door. There has been no "moral awakening" here.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This forum is nothing compared to how it was on the BIS forums in 'Ye Olde Political'. Those were the days.

Guys  but I'm sure we can all agree the general tone and decorum has improved since we all became cognizant of the  SJ environment  

No, tone and decorum improved once those that were disrupting it moved on or were shown the door. There has been no "moral awakening" here.

You really think that? Its always interesting to me when people say something like " SJ has no influence here or made no impact " 

Its like people automatically assume this must be a bad thing but its not. And I keep explaining its not as the change for example on this forum was subtle...you probably dont even notice it

We have never meant some sort of extreme censorship but the Hot Women Thread was removed  and there have been reasonable pruning of threads over some topics.

But that doesn't mean you cant have a normal and robust debate. Its like I told Vals and LK....those guys could not have a debate with me without constantly making personal attacks ...yet I can debate with basically anyone else like you without the need to insult people. So funny enough I think you thrive fine in a world of SJ consideration  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The two major thing that's changed since the BIS days is most people have left due to various reasons. And even some who have stayed just can't be bothered anymore with debates. Pretty much everything has been debated to death and it's just going over the same stuff all the time.

The second thing is the dev's rarely post here anymore. The dev's were quite open back then even if they got in trouble for speaking their mind. Now, it's all PC and we have to be careful what we say, walking on eggshells, don't offend anyone. Back then, the dev's would tell you if you're being an idiot or something you said was idiotic. Now, it's all about 'feels' and those who are offended running straight to twitter to tell people the big bad dev called them an idiot. Well, the dev is right, you are an idiot. You could put that down to social media which wasn't as prevalent as it is now.

The moderation is very similar and a continuation of the BIS forums. There's just a lot less people now. So for me who used to be on the BIS forums, when someone wants more moderation and mods to step in, it's like huh? And I'm sure there's others who would feel the same way. Maybe because we're used to the old forums. Ye Olde Political was a forum in itself, an unstoppable rampaging beast, and covered a whole range of topics and moved pretty fast. Sadly, most of those people have left.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

The two major thing that's changed since the BIS days is most people have left due to various reasons. And even some who have stayed just can't be bothered anymore with debates. Pretty much everything has been debated to death and it's just going over the same stuff all the time.

The second thing is the dev's rarely post here anymore. The dev's were quite open back then even if they got in trouble for speaking their mind. Now, it's all PC and we have to be careful what we say, walking on eggshells, don't offend anyone. Back then, the dev's would tell you if you're being an idiot or something you said was idiotic. Now, it's all about 'feels' and those who are offended running straight to twitter to tell people the big bad dev called them an idiot. Well, the dev is right, you are an idiot. You could put that down to social media which wasn't as prevalent as it is now.

The moderation is very similar and a continuation of the BIS forums. There's just a lot less people now. So for me who used to be on the BIS forums, when someone wants more moderation and mods to step in, it's like huh? And I'm sure there's others who would feel the same way. Maybe because we're used to the old forums. Ye Olde Political was a forum in itself, an unstoppable rampaging beast, and covered a whole range of topics and moved pretty fast. Sadly, most of those people have left.

I remember Ye Olde, but I wasn't very political back then so I mostly lurked, I think most people there moved on to Missy's when BIS merged into the Interplay forums.

I miss the devs interacting. Its the thing I miss most from the BIS forums.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If you like to flame & fight you could always find a taker.

I'm not sure that's the highest purpose of an internet forum and the most worthy pursuit one can engage in on one.

%membername%, what is best in forum posting?

To flame your enemies, see them driven before you and watch the lamentations of their alts.

• Like 5

I'm not sure that's the highest purpose of an internet forum and the most worthy pursuit one can engage in on one.

To flame your enemies, see them driven before you and watch the lamentations of their alts.

Chorus: The lamentation of their aaaaaalts!

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?

Let me see if Ive got this straight:

1) You are a self confessed "part of the problem" and should be thrown out.

2) You are not adult enough to control this action yourself.

3) Therefore the normal operation of this forum should change to however you see fit.

4) smh.

I would have gone with printf.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember Ye Olde, but I wasn't very political back then so I mostly lurked, I think most people there moved on to Missy's when BIS merged into the Interplay forums.

I miss the devs interacting. Its the thing I miss most from the BIS forums.

Some of the people I remember posting in Ye Olde were Dargoth, Yrkoon, Di, Gfted1, Deslaar, and many, many others. Too many to name. Funnily Sawyer was one of the mods along with TheCitybuster. And eventually Helge became a mod. I don't recall Sawyer being a mod so much. Citybuster pretty much looked after it as I recall. I do remember a lot of people keeping a wide berth and staying in the other forums. 

The interaction from the dev's is what I miss as well. Briareous, Puuk, MCA, ScottE, Sawyer, Feargus, Jessica are just some off the top of my head. Feargus shared so much information. It would be an absolute goldmine of information if the forum was archived. Now they have to be careful what they say. As an example, a question was asked to Feargus on the KS comments during the PoE KS and his answer made headlines. I didn't see his answer as a big deal. More like 'oh that's interesting' and kept on asking questions. It's understandable that they can't be as open as they used to be. Times have changed.

As far as the rules go, I don't see a problem.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?

Let me see if Ive got this straight:

1) You are a self confessed "part of the problem" and should be thrown out.

2) You are not adult enough to control this action yourself.

3) Therefore the normal operation of this forum should change to however you see fit.

4) smh.

You haven't. Try again?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Nah. Ive lost interest and already know what I need to know.

Heres hoping you can soldier through the trials and tribulations of your Obsidian web surfing today. :thumbsup:

Indeed, God created these forums to test the faithful.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heres hoping you can soldier through the trials and tribulations of your Obsidian web surfing today. :thumbsup:

Indeed, God created these forums to test the faithful.

The posts must flow.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That you like your invisible edit privileges but actually moderating forum discussions sounds like too much of a hassle for you to be bothered with?

It's been a long time since the moderators flat out banned someone because they couldn't play nice!

Has anyone actually ever been banned, outside of spambots? I couldn't name anyone.

Personally I like it that way. You can always head out to RPGWatch or SA for stricter moderation... or the KKKodex for the opposite.

Here? I think so. Wasn't originally the late Vicseris banned and came back under other names?

At BIS & Interplay, I know we banned a bunch of people.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That you like your invisible edit privileges but actually moderating forum discussions sounds like too much of a hassle for you to be bothered with?

No, just your opinions on the matter.

Your complete failure to understand what I was even talking about says otherwise, but whatever.

Gifted1 vs the forum: 

witcUBF.gif

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I....I don't know :(

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Am I the drummer or the girl? :lol:I cant stop staring at the rhythmic beat of the hi hat.

You're the bass drum.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

She can sure beat the skins though. :thumbsup:

Kinky.