Blame Social Justice Warriors for Donald Trump

Valsuelm

Why do people spend hours a day, every single day, for years, engagng in voluntary activities that they do not enjoy? Weird. :shrugz:

Well...it is because I get paid for it. But otherwise, it feeds my rage.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why do people spend hours a day, every single day, for years, engagng in voluntary activities that they do not enjoy? Weird. :shrugz:

Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Why do people spend hours a day, every single day, for years, engagng in voluntary activities that they do not enjoy? Weird. :shrugz:

Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?

Is that what you'd call the last few pages aluminiumtrioxid? Shoot, this little bit of snark was nothing. You should have been here 10 years ago. We play nice here now compared to then. Political threads turned into verbal bloodsport as often as not.

Heck I ought to know, I used to egg them on!  :lol:

It's been a long time since the moderators flat out banned someone because they couldn't play nice!

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Is that what you'd call the last few pages aluminiumtrioxid? Shoot, this little bit of snark was nothing. You should have been here 10 years ago. We play nice here now compared to then. Political threads turned into verbal bloodsport as often as not.

I mostly meant certain topics in the Pillars subforum pre-release, which tended to be dominated by a few extremely loud and even more obnoxious morons who seemed to warp every single discussion about their favorite subjects into pointless flamewars because there was always someone new around taking the bait.

Not being able to have a reasonable discussion about politics in a vidya game forum is something I can live with. Not being able to have a meaningful discussion about an upcoming game on the forum of the very studio making said game, on the other hand, seems to run counter to the entire purpose of having the forums in the first place.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I have to agree with Guard Dog. The Bush/Kerry election was a hoot at this forum, that's for sure. I don't recall specific bannings, but back then it was either about pro or anti-war, 9/11-conspiracies, threats of quitting the forum forever and lots of r00fles by Volo, of course.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?"

That is an akward sentence to read.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I mostly meant certain topics in the Pillars subforum pre-release, which tended to be dominated by a few extremely loud and even more obnoxious morons who seemed to warp every single discussion about their favorite subjects into pointless flamewars because there was always someone new around taking the bait.

Not being able to have a reasonable discussion about politics in a vidya game forum is something I can live with. Not being able to have a meaningful discussion about an upcoming game on the forum of the very studio making said game, on the other hand, seems to run counter to the entire purpose of having the forums in the first place.

Gotcha. Ah well, that's why we can't have nice things I guess. I haven't participated much on the PoE forums. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Are you seriously implying that setting up forum rules that facilitate constructive discussion is a waste of time because people who dislike having debates devolve into pointless screaming matches that accomplish nothing aside from wasting everyone's time can always just not participate?"

That is an akward sentence to read.

How would you have phrased it, then?

I have to agree with Guard Dog. The Bush/Kerry election was a hoot at this forum, that's for sure. I don't recall specific bannings, but back then it was either about pro or anti-war, 9/11-conspiracies, threats of quitting the forum forever and lots of r00fles by Volo, of course.

My personal enemies were Pop, Nur Ab Sal, Yushaa (remember when he threatened to kill all of us?) that friend of Pixies whose screen name I can't remember. Oh yeah and Krezack. I absolutely HATED that little prick. He's the only one on this board who ever actually got under my skin. Hades/Sand never even managed to do that! There were others of course. I never disliked any of them, except one, but I'm not sure the reverse was true.

Thomas Sowell

I'm not sure "well, it's a terrible place to have a reasonable discussion but hey, it used to be much worse!" is a great counterargument to what I was saying  :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not sure "well, it's a terrible place to have a reasonable discussion but hey, it used to be much worse!" is a great counterargument to what I was saying  :lol:

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

My theory was always that Krezack and Lord of Flies were the same person.  They disappeared at the same time.

edit:  This forum ebbs and flows.  I think it's pretty tame right now.

Edited by Hurlshot

My theory was always that Krezack and Lord of Flies were the same person.  They disappeared at the same time.

edit:  This forum ebbs and flows.  I think it's pretty tame right now.

Let's just say the thing about alts is, if you have too many of them you sometimes forget when one you're logged in on and post something out of character!

Ha Good fun!

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

My personal enemies were Pop, Nur Ab Sal, Yushaa (remember when he threatened to kill all of us?) that friend of Pixies whose screen name I can't remember. Oh yeah and Krezack. I absolutely HATED that little prick. He's the only one on this board who ever actually got under my skin. Hades/Sand never even managed to do that! There were others of course. I never disliked any of them, except one, but I'm not sure the reverse was true.

Krezack always had the shtick of even you said that you liked flowers, he would reply with you hating trees and you should repent for hating trees you flower-lover you. It got old pretty quick.

Yushaa i think was the only legitimately Al Qaeda-supporter that i've met online. He quickly dissappeared when I convinced him that he had insulted my beliefs in the Sun being the almighty and he should, by his own logic, kill himself as he was kuffar to me. Huh, come to think of it, he's the only guy that i explicitly wrote "Kill yourself" to. Oh boy :)

Worse? It had passion, fury, life! It was beautiful.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It was never dull. If you like to flame & fight you could always find a taker.

Thomas Sowell

If you like to flame & fight you could always find a taker.

I'm not sure that's the highest purpose of an internet forum and the most worthy pursuit one can engage in on one.

If you like to flame & fight you could always find a taker.

I'm not sure that's the highest purpose of an internet forum and the most worthy pursuit one can engage in on one.

Oh no definitely not. Actually I'd prefer a rational discussion to what we used to get here. But there are folks out there who just can't sleep at night knowing that somewhere out there in the world there is someone who doesn't think like they do. We just used to have a lot of those gathered in one place. So in that respect it is better now. Take you & I for example. We seldom find any common ground in any political or philosophical discussion but I know what you think and why and vice versa. Like I told Bruce in the other thread (or was it this one?) the point of the discussion in not to change anyone's mind (although is can happen) the point is to hear what everyone else thinks and maybe challenge it or tell them what you think and maybe have it challenged by them. The point of the discussion IS the discussion.

At least I've always thought so.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

It's been a long time since the moderators flat out banned someone because they couldn't play nice!

Has anyone actually ever been banned, outside of spambots? I couldn't name anyone.

Personally I like it that way. You can always head out to RPGWatch or SA for stricter moderation... or the KKKodex for the opposite.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think our mods are all right, and I'm not just saying that because I'm pandering to the mod vote for my campaign for President of the Way Off-Topic.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Has anyone actually ever been banned, outside of spambots? I couldn't name anyone.

Personally I like it that way. You can always head out to RPGWatch or SA for stricter moderation... or the KKKodex for the opposite.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I'm not sure that's the highest purpose of an internet forum and the most worthy pursuit one can engage in on one."

Kiddin' right? It is the only real purpose of internet forums. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, "purpose" and "internet forum" are a comedic mix.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This forum is nothing compared to how it was on the BIS forums in 'Ye Olde Political'. Those were the days.

Guys  but I'm sure we can all agree the general tone and decorum has improved since we all became cognizant of the  SJ environment  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela