NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

Browns get a 1st, 3rd and 4th this year; a 1st in 2017 and 2nd in 2018.  The Iggles get the 2nd overall pick this year and a conditional 4th rd in 2017.

Overall that's a great deal for the Browns.  They have more holes than a sieve. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

Yeah, but it's the Browns.  They'll squander all of them.  :shifty:

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Browns get a 1st, 3rd and 4th this year; a 1st in 2017 and 2nd in 2018.  The Iggles get the 2nd overall pick this year and a conditional 4th rd in 2017.

Overall that's a great deal for the Browns.  They have more holes than a sieve. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15280364/cleveland-browns-trade-no-2-pick-draft-philadelphia-eagles-five-picks

Yeah, but it's the Browns.  They'll squander all of them.  :shifty:

Hope springs eternal.   :facepalm:

• Like 2

good for the browns.   bad for the world.  am pretty sure that one o' the signs o' the apocalypse is Cleveland Browns making smarty personnel moves.  'course, am pretty sure that it is only a sign for the Church of All Worlds and most folks no longer grok Valentine Michael Smith.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You see, Eagles... this type of move made some sense for the Rams. They have a defense that isn't terrible, the newly drafted QB doesn't have to carry the team and can just hand the ball off to Gurley 20+ times a game, and say whatever you like about Fisher but he is still a proven head coach in the league.

I'd say they're one piece away from making a playoff run. Eagles? Not so much.

You see, Eagles... this type of move made some sense for the Rams. They have a defense that isn't terrible, the newly drafted QB doesn't have to carry the team and can just hand the ball off to Gurley 20+ times a game, and say whatever you like about Fisher but he is still a proven head coach in the league.

I'd say they're one piece away from making a playoff run. Eagles? Not so much.

makes even less sense for the eagles when you consider how much guaranteed money they will now have invested in THREE quarterbacks, making it even less likely to be able to build a team around their new first round draft acquisition.  even so, is a good move for the browns. feels unnatural to say, "good move for the browns."

the real winner is manifested... and his chargers.  laremy tunsil was not gonna be available at #3 if the titans had stayed at #1.  the browns were obvious not sold on wentz as a qb, so the consensus #1 ol in the draft mighta' been gone w/o the browns-eagles trade.  chargers is guaranteed to now have a chance to choose the #1 guy on their board, regardless o' whether that guy is tunsil or ramsey or whomever.  great news for the chargers. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pretty exciting, the number-one non-QB pick. SD has previously drafted 14 players from Florida State ... would love to see 15. 

Also, brand new stadium drawings released about an hour ago. This Saturday, vote-gathering for the stadium initiative begins with an event at the proposed site downtown, with Dean Spanos, Roger Goodell, LT, and Philip Rivers in attendance. Live music, food, eternal optimism. 

sdc_zpsk0eyfmib.png

sdc2_zpsqknj9mpv.png

All Stop. On Screen.

friggin' mock draft has Wentz first, Buckner third, Tunsil going sixth to Baltimore and Ramsey eighth to Cleveland. 

Don't know much about scouting, but I hadn't picked any of those. Tunsil does look like a Raven, no judgment. 

All Stop. On Screen.

friggin' mock draft has Wentz first, Buckner third, Tunsil going sixth to Baltimore and Ramsey eighth to Cleveland. 

Don't know much about scouting, but I hadn't picked any of those. Tunsil does look like a Raven, no judgment. 

there is rumors that san diego is considering trading outta their spot. consensus is that the chargers believe that their greatest need is interior dl, but the truth o' the matter is that none o' the interior dl warrant the number three pick. buckner makes sense for san diego IF the chargers really wanna address dl needs, though buckner ain't a true dt such as is rankins, reed, jones or others who is projected as more mid-round picks... could be a bit o' a run on the defensive thick bodies starting as early as 11.  would be kinda crazy, but is possible that san diego also trades outta their first pick in this year's draft.

personal, with weddle's departure and river's endemic vulnerability, we see significant san diego needs at both safety and ot.  unfortunately, tunsil's off-the-field issues is 'posed making a few teams wary and there is still more than a few gms who refuse to spend an early first round pick on a safety (or guard or center.)  heck, rb has become a recent addition to the list o' positions that many teams believe is wasteful o' a first round selection, baring a walter payton or jim brown kinda talent. is likely posturing on the part o' san diego simple to see what kinda value they could get for their #3 if they were to trade, but there is rumors o' shopping their first round selection.

is disturbing that so many first round guys may lose money for character reasons.  most o' the ohio state guys is flagged as is the mississippi state and ole' miss players... and baylor guys and a couple alabama players and...

*shrug*

is kinda amusing, but a few o' the stanford and nd players gots a kinda inverted character problem in that their draft stock has been adjusted 'cause a few teams do not believe that the majority o' players from those schools is "hungry enough" to play nfl ball.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Yeah, it sucks. I imagine this will be an issue when they renegotiate the players association union agreement with the NFL in 2020.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The reasoning is unreasonable in the same way the suspension originally was.

That said, as above, this could have been avoided if the NFLPA was stronger than they are and wouldn't allow such vague yet over the top language to make its way into the bargaining agreement in the first place. It should be clearly stated that the evidence should be clear (it wans't  and the NFL actually originally LIED about their evidence and then  swept it under the rug) and  consistent.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, it sucks. I imagine this will be an issue when they renegotiate the players association union agreement with the NFL in 2020.

the nflpa didn't care enough about the issue when they negotiated the previous deal.  am guessing that the owners were surprised when the nflpa didn't bother to object to handing broad disciplinary powers to the commish.  players were far more interested in reducing practices n' such.  sure, the players has learned from their mistake, but some lower courts has, in our opinion, been a bit too paternalistic regarding the cba.  the nflpa is a powerful organization that were fully aware o' what they were negotiating.  terms agreed to were not unconscionable.  have some courts effective rewriting the cba w/o compensating the owners in any way has always struck Gromnir as inappropriate.  

*shrug*

complain that the commissioner has excessive disciplinary power when that is what the players negotiated is a ridiculous position to argue.  am also not feeling bad for tom brady.  the nfl commish can be a yutz at times, but he is consistent.  based on past disciplines, if roger thinks folks is being honest, he gives 'em a slap on the wrist as long as the violator is contrite.  beat your wife and agree to counselling? your penalty is gonna be slight.  lie 'bout anything, make commish believe you are lying to him, and he is unforgiving.  actually, we kinda respect that approach even if we do not necessarily agree.  tom brady were clear obfuscating in regards to deflategate.  the cellphone nonsense were enough to make Gromnir not believe anything brady had to say 'bout the issue.  the commish were given broad powers via the cba to punish.  so, no tears for brady.  if you gonna hide truth, then man-up and take the punishment.

give the commish such broad discipline powers were, perhaps, foolish.  however, the powers o' the commish were negotiated and agreed to by the nflpa, and the nflpa were aware o' what they negotiated.  were no chicanery on the part o' the owners.  were no unbalanced negotiating.  players is getting what they bargained for and what they agreed to.  players is cherry picking sympathetic courts to do an end around on the cba they negotiated.  from our pov, the bad guys is not ownership or the commissioner but the nflpa.  

'course, we routinely use the UCC as toilet paper and labor law, from our pov, has not progressed since the magna carta were penned. touchy-feely courts protecting the poor nflpa from their own mistakes?  bah. we instead follow the Aunty Entity school o' remedies.

http://www.movieclips.com/videos/mad-max-beyond-thunderdome-official-clip-bust-a-deal-face-the-wheel-552463939686

HA! Good Fun!

complain that the commissioner has excessive disciplinary power when that is what the players negotiated is a ridiculous position to argue.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. When you frame it that way, I can't help but think of a newly-crowned king...with the powers granted to him by his position, he might make a great king, even if he does wield absolute power and authority. He might also make a truly terrible one. The nonsense that was "Spygate" should've been warning enough to the NFLPA, I agree, but the following baloney that have been Bountygate, Deflategate, Noisegate, the Ray Rice scandal, et cetera...have illuminated more than enough about the "greatness" of Goodell in this regard.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I need the Cowboys to lock Jerruh in a closet and take Ramsey. I know my boy Romo is on a short time table here and DE is a need position now. I'm just not sure Bosa is a guy Rob would favor. He has always leaned toward pass rushers who tend to be "quick twitch" rushers.

And four of the six backs they have will be free agents next year. Plus I like the versatility Ramsey brings and I know Rob likes those type of players. He could be a better fit with Seattle and their press style defense they run, though.

But yeah - Stephen, make it happen... lock Jerry in the closet again and make the pick.

complain that the commissioner has excessive disciplinary power when that is what the players negotiated is a ridiculous position to argue.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. When you frame it that way, I can't help but think of a newly-crowned king...with the powers granted to him by his position, he might make a great king, even if he does wield absolute power and authority. He might also make a truly terrible one. The nonsense that was "Spygate" should've been warning enough to the NFLPA, I agree, but the following baloney that have been Bountygate, Deflategate, Noisegate, the Ray Rice scandal, et cetera...have illuminated more than enough about the "greatness" of Goodell in this regard.

compare to a king with absolute power is unfair, no?  what other job would we be surprised if an employee were fired for dishonesty?  even for a majority o' contract jobs, lying is verboten.  we are talking 'bout suspensions, not even fire. and why king?  nflpa is the folks who, with a long history o' its members having faced discipline problems, made a choice regarding how much power the commissioner would have.  if commissioner has kingly authority instead o' something less, it is 'cause the nflpa agreed that they wanted roger to be a king instead o' an impotent functionary.  but the nflpa were far more concerned with preventing the nfl from adopting an olympics standard for drug testing than they was 'bout other kinds o' discipline.  the nflpa were more concerned with reducing practice time.  the nflpa negotiated.  the nflpa blocked olympic testing.  they got reduced practices.  the owners, as part o' their bargaining, got a commissioner who had broad authority to discipline players for behaviors which could reflect bad 'pon the brand.  the nflpa bargained for promises that the nfl must fulfill.  why should the reverse not be true?  'cause the nflpa were a bunch o' innocent lambs who didn't realize what were the substance over which they were negotiating?

HA!

the nflpa were compensated.  if giving the commissioner power to discipline were a mistake, then they should pay for that mistake.  perhaps reduction in practices and largely pointless drug testing that only idiots fail were mistakes attributable to the owners, but they gotta pay for those mistakes.  the owners are paying for their mistakes. the players can afford to pay for their mistakes too.  can always renegotiate the cba, but what is the nflpa willing to give up to get reduced commissioner authority?  ain't seen the nflpa offer any such concessions.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Because they didn't know for sure what their "king" would do with the power given entrusted to him. In most avenues of life, each of us are entrusted with certain responsibilities and abilities: that does not give us license to use those powers how we wish with no regard for the wishes of our inferiors, peers, and superiors. If the way Goodell is handling these scandals is not how the NFLPA expected him to (and I don't believe it is), then I absolutely do sympathize with them and expect there to be some blowback when the renegotiation comes.

A better analogy, perhaps, would've been our Congress and the President: if Congress gives the President some powers they did not previously have (or the President becomes aware of powers that they, and/or former presidents, did not previously use), and the President uses those powers in a way that the majority of Congress does not approve of, then of course I expect it to be an issue between the two groups. Depending on the exact powers and how they're being (mis)used, I may sympathize with either Congress or the President - in this particular case, it's Congress.

Edited by Bartimaeus

*eye roll*

the nflpa gave the commissioner power over discipline and in exchange they got concessions from the owners.  to complain that the commissioner then used the power to discipline is ridiculous. 

*chuckle*

can you imagine how hurlshot's teachers union woulda reacted if his reps had presented them a deal whereby teachers would allow individual school superintendents to have carte blanche over matters o' discipline?  you think hurl woulda been in favor o' such an offer just so long as drug testing standards were reduced?  'course not.  you think hurl gots more powerful representation than NFL players? how many o' us would sympathize with hurl if his union had negotiated such a deal? 

president and congress is neither good comparisons, 'cause president and congress got powers limited by the Constitution.  the nflpa and the owners did not vote a commissioner into office.  the nflpa and the owners Negotiated and Agreed.  the players didn't realize that the commissioner would actual have the sand to discipline their behavior?  HA! little sympathy from Gromnir.  players negotiated.  players got what they bargained for, so why shouldn't the owners?

HA! Good Fun!

I need the Cowboys to lock Jerruh in a closet and take Ramsey. I know my boy Romo is on a short time table here and DE is a need position now. I'm just not sure Bosa is a guy Rob would favor. He has always leaned toward pass rushers who tend to be "quick twitch" rushers.

And four of the six backs they have will be free agents next year. Plus I like the versatility Ramsey brings and I know Rob likes those type of players. He could be a better fit with Seattle and their press style defense they run, though.

But yeah - Stephen, make it happen... lock Jerry in the closet again and make the pick.

Even with both your starting DEs suspended the first 4 games? I'm going to be stunned if that's not a DE.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Even with both your starting DEs suspended the first 4 games? I'm going to be stunned if that's not a DE.

I'd take DeForest Buckner over Joey Bosa or Shaq Lawson if I was making the pick at #4.  Not only does Buckner not carry the drug/partying concerns with him that Bosa does, I think he's an overall better prospect than Lawson.  So long as they take one of those 3 guys at #4 I won't lose my ****, but if they take Zeke at #4 I'm flipping a ****ing table.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Only if Buckner is available. I don't want a bandage to cover the first four games. I want talent + upside at the number 4 pick and I don't see that in Bosa.

I'd take DeForest Buckner over Joey Bosa or Shaq Lawson if I was making the pick at #4.  Not only does Buckner not carry the drug/partying concerns with him that Bosa does, I think he's an overall better prospect than Lawson.  So long as they take one of those 3 guys at #4 I won't lose my ****, but if they take Zeke at #4 I'm flipping a ****ing table.

Pretty much.

• Like 1

Only if Buckner is available. I don't want a bandage to cover the first four games. I want talent + upside at the number 4 pick and I don't see that in Bosa.

If the so called experts are to be believed then the first 3 picks should be Goff, Wentz, and Tunsil, meaning the Boys should have their pick of DEs, or any position other than QB or OT, for that matter.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸