NFL 2016 Season

Gromnir

Thank you Broncos.  Paxton Lynch is off the board.  Hallelujah.

am thinking it is a good move for the broncos.  according to numerous metrics, lynch were the best available qb in this draft.  is a bad move only if the broncos actual start lynch this year.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What a weird draft. But they usually are.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

That was fun. I approve. Welcome and congratulations, jbbigbear. 

GM said Bosa was their highest-rated choice since September. 

bosa is interesting, and Gromnir were surprised.  

most obvious reason for surprise were the other glaring needs for sd as already discussed elsewhere in this thread.  

that being said, multiple talent evaluators had bosa as their best overall prospect, but the knocks on him were noteworthy.  bosa played at 280-285, but to improve his combine 40 he dropped to 266, and then ran a pedestrian-to-poor 4.85. yeah, the importance o' 40 times is overblown, but there is no question that the nfl is faster than the college game.  'course terrell suggs had a 4.84 40 time that scared many teams and saw him drop down to the #10 pick in 2003.  his substandard 40 didn't hurt him too much in the nfl.  however, there is just as many forgotten players who didn't stick in the league simple 'cause they didn't have the speed to make the transition to the nfl.

there is also off-the-field issues with bosa.  not worth getting into too much, but ezekiel elliott and bosa were roommates and is more than a few stories 'bout some o' the stuff they got into and away with at osu.

however, the reason we were most surprised by the chargers pick is that one o' the few knocks on bosa is that he ain't a 3-4 fit. bosa is not an olb and he ain't a 3-4 de that played directly over the ot.  bosa appears to be a single-gap edge rusher.  the chargers either gonna need have bosa play olb, which is outside his skillset and will include a rather considerable learning curve (and perhaps additional lowering o' weight) or they makes him a two-gap de, which is gonna limit his pass rush efficacy and opportunities.

weird, but interesting. get arguable best player in the draft is good, but the choice were... odd.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we couldn't help but feel sympathy for the ny giants on day 1.  virtual every mock draft and expert prognostication had the giants taking either an ot or leonard floyd.  stanley and conklin were off the board and tunsil's implosion resulted in reasonable wariness regarding the ole' miss product.  heck, tunsil, during his post-draft presser for miami, threw his college team under the bus by admitting that he took money from coaches while in college.  taylor decker were the next highest rated ot, but the osu o-lineman likely weren't worth a #10 pick.  so, baring a trade down, the giants were thwarted insofar as filling their ot need.  the giants Other linked prospect were leonard floyd.  am admitting that the appreciation o' floyd were lost on us, but numerous teams reported wanted him, and the closer we got to draft day, the higher were floyd's rating.  a more athletic aldon smith w/o being such a headcase? *shrug*  chicago swung a deal to get floyd at #9.  for the giants it likely seemed like the league were conspiring 'gainst them.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Jaylon Smith? *flips table*

Yeah, good luck with that. Could turn out good...but I know if the Packers had taken him, he would've never turned out never because the injury risk players we take always do.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

two or three years from now, if dallas still sucks, nobody will blame their mediocrity on a single 2nd round gamble.  converse, jaylon smith is the player in this draft we believe has the most potential o' being a hall of famer. sure, it is possible that jaylon smith never plays a down, and at the very least he sits a year.  this is a risk pick. even so, he is gonna be a character guy that dallas is sorely in need o' and IF he recovers even 90%, folks will be calling jerry jones a genius... which hasn't been the case in many years.  is not surprising that jones makes a risky pick 'cause o' the potential o' collecting laurels down the road.

real head scratcher were round 1 when dallas didn't fill needs.

HA! Good Fun!

I mean Jaylon Smith has tremendous upside, he's easily a first round talent without the injury concerns.  Nerve damage is so unpredictable.  I don't completely hate the gamble, because if Jaylon recovers fully he could be a multi-time pro-bowler, but he could just as easily be a complete bust.  It's a roll of the dice.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, the Buccaneers took a kicker with their second round pick - would you have preferred that? :p

I didn't like it much. 3 picks in and the Bucs have yet to address their biggest need, Offensive Line. I've never heard of Noah Webster. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I always like teams willing to take risks on guys who have been injured but are easily top ten talents if they weren't. That's Jaylon. Cowboys did the same with Bruce Smith, Jaylon is the better prospect, and it didn't pan out for them. But for a short stretch, Bruce was above average.

If he gets back to form, that linebacker core received an upgrade in a BIG way.

Edit: Oh and the best part? No off the field issues! Keep guys like that coming, Jerry.

Edited by Inyourprime

Billings has fallen like a rock down a well. Everyone made fun of the Packers for not picking him when he "fell" to them, but he literally has not been picked in the first three rounds yet...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Ike Taylor and Lynn Swann, I'm still cracked up. 

Another good day, positional versatility and 'love of the game' are clear prerequisites. Hunter Henry sounds like a superhero's alter ego, which is what it'll take to replace Antonio Gates.

Four hours of chips and dip ... should probably snack healthier tomorrow.  

All Stop. On Screen.

two or three years from now, if dallas still sucks, 

If only

Fingers crossed

Fouts forgive me, but back in junior high I had posters in my bedroom of Danny White and Tony Dorsett keeping watch over me under my Cowboys blanket and team logo trash can in the corner which I never put trash in because it was Dallas and Coach Landry would not approve.  Also Rafael Septien had the coolest name for any player ever.     :- 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I mean, taking Jaylon Smith in the second is definitely reaching, given that they likely could have gotten him as late as the 4th round or even later.  It's just...  Look, through the first 3 rounds the Cowboys have done very little to address their most pressing needs for next season; Zeke is a fine RB, but the Boys have much bigger concerns and Jaylon is under no circumstance playing next season.  Maliek Collins is the only guy they've taken that may have a positive impact at a need position next year.  I'm trying to talk myself off the ledge here.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This draft was about as sexy as a sumo wrestler covered in baby oil for my Jets. They are so old on offense I thought they would do something to add some youth, instead they draft a QB in the second round who failed to complete more than 55% of his passes in college--they say they 'believe in the talent', but I believe in production. Sigh. Even if Fitzpatrck does sign, he's a 33 year old journeyman and not a franchise QB. So in two years Fitz, Brandon Marshal, and Matt Forte will be retired and they'll be back at square one. God I hate the management of this team.

Well if I thought free agency was electric, the draft exploded in sparks. Now I gotta scour the burn marks off the walls and ceiling. 

Breaking news, during a live local interview, team GM announced franchise punter Mike Scifres will be released next week ... thirteen-year veteran, all-time leader, most-tenured player. Awesome guy, too, bummed to see him go. At least the team had the decency to inform Mike prior to drafting his replacement Drew Kaser in the sixth round today.  

All Stop. On Screen.

The Browns take 5 wide receivers?  Why?  WHY?  and Cody Kessler (QB USC) with a 3rd rounder?  What a freaking joke.  

Kudos to the Jags for absolutely ruling the draft. 

am admitted perplexed by the browns "analytics" approach that results in drafting 5 wrs given just how many needs they got.  

as for jags and the ruler o' the draft, the recipient o' such an award is always determined with the benefit o' hindsight... 2-3 years hindsight.  myles jack is a pick that can complete blow up in the jags collective face.  and in a time when so many teams is slaves to computer numbers, the jags went 180 and chose instead to rely 'pon college production.  holmes, day and the kid  from maryland whose name we always flub, were all fantastic producers in college, but they all got big question marks as to whether then can play in the nfl.

titans worked the draft well to acquire extra picks. given that the draft is such a crap shoot, more picks is good.  'course the browns also gots themselves numerous picks and then chose the aforementioned wide receivers. 

there is a tendency for experts to pick baltimore as a draft winner every year 'cause there is such respect for the ravens scouting department, but such blind faith feels like a knee-jerk response made in large part 'cause winners o' the draft is unknowable today.

*shrug*

heck, as much as we like jaylon smith, we think dallas had a train wreck o' a draft insofar as filling needs.  darren mcfadden played very well last year and the cowboys had other quality players at rb.  where is the dallas safety and edge rusher Starters in this draft? dak prescott and ezekiel elliott is both having significant character flags and if there is one team that needs to focus more on character, it is the cowboys. etc. still, if jaylon smith does come back 90%, and if dak is the next joe montana, and if elliott is the next adrian peterson, and if the basketball player from baylor makes the transition to te, then jerry jones wreck is transformed into some kinda masterpiece o' football perspicacity.  

am not gonna know draft winner for a couple o' years, but typical fans is either over enthusiastic or over critical o' their team's draft.  is rare in between.  

am thinking that the giants may have gotten a couple skill position steals.  shepard looks like a quality wr and he can always contribute in the return game.  perkins and adams have the potential to be fantastic later round gems.  the rb from ucla seemed to be criminal underrated, and the te from south carolina were potential the second best prospect at his position.  

denver may eventual be crowned the 2016 draft champ, and is largely dependent on a single pick.  lynch gots no experience under center, but if he gots a couple years to develop before being thrown into the nfl qb crucible, he could be exact what elway wants: a big and athletic qb who can make every throw and kill you with his feet if need be. if lynch ends up being the best qb from the 2016 draft, then am thinking broncos deserve consideration for champ.  

2-3 years.  at the moment, am admitted puzzled by the picks o' more than a few teams, but the draft were deep and the draft were interesting.

am pulling for scooby wright iii.  is a browns pick at #250, so is a prohibitive longshot prospect, but he gots a great name and he were so darn good in college that we cannot help but hope he proves that every team that passed on him, multiple times, were fools for ignoring his college production.  'course for a mike backer who runs a 4.87 40 to get drafted at all is also noteworthy.  scooby wright iii.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps am actual most disappointed with the raiders draft. in recent years the raiders has drafted extreme well.  without al davis being involved in personnel decisions, the raiders has begun to resurrect their franchise.  the raiders got some o' the true elite young players in the nfl, and they got 'em at numerous positions.  but the 2016 raiders draft confuses us.  wait til round 7 for ol? at one point it looked like the raiders were purposeful drafting guys with medical issues.  conor cook? am... confused.  even so, is gonna be 2-3 years.

Edited by Gromnir

undrafted free agents

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/30/11545610/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2016-nfl-draft-udfas

with the draft being only seven rounds nowadays, there is always ufa that stick with teams.

HA! Good Fun!

The little* UDFA guys that make it (and sometimes make it big!) are my favorites...but I am a Packers fan (where, according to statistics I heard last season, UDFAs have had the best starting opportunities since our current GM got the job in the league), so I guess that's only natural...

*Okay, maybe "little" is the wrong word...

Edited by Bartimaeus