US Elections 2016

Guard Dog

"I think most of the comments that Jeff used were essentially the President letting off steam. Consider that he's been stuck in this position of power, with more than half of the people he has to work with deliberately declaring in the media "We won't work with him, we will make him a one term president and oppose him at every turn!" You'd get frustrated if every thing you tried to do was refuted out of spite simply because of your political viewpoint. And while you're trying to be a humanitarian and make peoples lives easier and better, you're getting stymied simply because the other side doesn't want you to succeed (not out of the kindness of their own hearts)."

\

Oh please. Obama is the president whow ants cops to be murdered while he has no problem and even brags about murdering  Amerikan citizens.  The guy is a racist and is a piece of crap just like Trump is. They are very alike.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This has nothing to do with what we are talking about right now but it is a great column from Jeff Jacoby of the Boston Globe today: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2016/01/24/obama-vowed-healer-chief-never-made-effort/0XR8wPoJwRVkFoPMVJaD2H/story.html

It's a good read.

I think most of the comments that Jeff used were essentially the President letting off steam. Consider that he's been stuck in this position of power, with more than half of the people he has to work with deliberately declaring in the media "We won't work with him, we will make him a one term president and oppose him at every turn!" You'd get frustrated if every thing you tried to do was refuted out of spite simply because of your political viewpoint. And while you're trying to be a humanitarian and make peoples lives easier and better, you're getting stymied simply because the other side doesn't want you to succeed (not out of the kindness of their own hearts).

He's working with a group of politicians who declare that 9/11 first responders were national heroes and treasures, and yet they only extended the health benefits for those guys after a massive campaign by Jon Stewart. And even then the bill didn't get into what they were promised it would get into.

Right there Calax you are doing the same thing he is: Rejecting the notion that opposition to anything he wants to do is rooted solely in racism or personal animus rather than and well thought out but opposing viewpoint. You see him as the "good guy" who only wants to help people. That makes anyone opposed to doing that or going about it his way the "bad guys". That is exactly why we Americans will be shooting at each other again in the future.

Yes and no. Yes, I do think that he's being targeted out of political expediancy rather than somebody genuinely disagreeing with him. And I'm not pulling this out of nowhere, it's why the vocal party base (ie the most radical members) of the republican party (Like WOD) consider John Beohner to be an utter failure because they didn't get 100% of what they wanted.

And here's an example from 2010 of how the Republican party had been operating towards Obama

http://www.politico.com/story/2010/10/the-gops-no-compromise-pledge-044311

I'm not saying that republicans are inherently evil, or that they have **** ideas or whatever, what I'm saying is that for the entire Obama administration, Obama has had to deal with a political machine that's not dedicated to compromise or advancing their own political agenda, it's singular goal was to stop him and his agenda at all costs. Meanwhile your globe article is grumbling about how Obama is grumbling and teasing about not being able to get common ground. Our entire political system is designed for compromise, but the current tone from the republican side of the aisle is "My way or go **** yourself!"

Bush got the exact same thing from the Dems after 2006. Clinton got it from the Republicans after 1994. Although to both of their credit Clinton and the 104th Congress did manage to get a few thing s accomplished not the least of which was a balanced budget. This acrimony is not new but it is getting worse. But Obama has been the nastiest about it yet and nasty begets nastier. 

I honestly don't ever remember anyone in the Democratic party saying "I will oppose everything Bush says or wants to do" in 2000-2008. Or the Republicans doing the same for Clinton in 92-2000. Admittedly I was still in High school for most of that, but I don't think the prevailing attitude at the time was "any compromise is a failure". The first time I heard that Rhetoric was when the Tea Party became a "thing". 

I mean this is a congress that has utilized the Filibuster more than any other, and for stupider and stupider reasons (I think Lindsay Graham "Filibustered" 3 court appointments because of an investigation... which didn't need to be done). 

The entire point of the globe article that you posted was that It's Obama's fault for the growing divide between Dems and Reps. My rebuttal was that he hadn't done any such thing and that the repuiblican legislature was dead seat against him personally being able to do anything as President, which has led to a lot of ill will on both sides.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No need to worry about illegal alien criminals, the government is here to protect us: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/01/22/ice-investigated-for-failing-to-deport-illegal-before-he-killed-woman/

Only a whitey killed.  Obama doesn't care. Afterall, he has to support his son no matter what. :)

Volo there are 250 million white people in the USA ....we are just talking about one of them being killed. Stop trying to scare WOD and the other USA members. The Muslim extremist won't kill all the white people in the USA !!!

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hope that is tongue in cheek.

Why? Do you know me as someone who jokes .... ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"I think most of the comments that Jeff used were essentially the President letting off steam. Consider that he's been stuck in this position of power, with more than half of the people he has to work with deliberately declaring in the media "We won't work with him, we will make him a one term president and oppose him at every turn!" You'd get frustrated if every thing you tried to do was refuted out of spite simply because of your political viewpoint. And while you're trying to be a humanitarian and make peoples lives easier and better, you're getting stymied simply because the other side doesn't want you to succeed (not out of the kindness of their own hearts)."

\

Oh please. Obama is the president whow ants cops to be murdered while he has no problem and even brags about murdering  Amerikan citizens.  The guy is a racist and is a piece of crap just like Trump is. They are very alike.

I must've been asleep when that happened. Link?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

\

I must've been asleep when that happened. Link?

Meshugger please dont encourage Volos paranoia...of course Obama is not racist and or wants to kill American citizens  

John Milton 

Anyone who thinks Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump or any of their ilk are evil needs to spend some quality time with a dictionary and a history book. History is fraught with examples of countries run by truly evil people. No one running for office in the US, now or ever to my recollection, rises to that level. Now you can have politicians who are so opposed to rights, liberties, religious values or other ephemeral things people hold dear that whether they are evil or not would become a distinction without a difference. Obama has flirted with that line numerous times but managed to not cross it with me at least. That he did not cross it does not make me like him (I don't) or respect him (I don't). He is condescending, arrogant, wrong on so many things, and a poor President. But evil? No, not close.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Examining any political figures in terms of "goodies and baddies" is juvenile. People are products of their circumstances and it's better to examine these circumstances as a whole rather than treating individual figures as if they exist in a vacuum.

Dunno about that one. Quite a few leaders have genocide on their resume. It's hard to imagine that notion as someone being the product of their times. The systematic extermination of thousands, even millions, you don't get a pass on that one.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"I must've been asleep when that happened. Link?"

Did he or did he not make a law/executive order that makes it okay for him to drop bombs on Amerikan citizens with no trial?

Does he not pout and cry whenver some dumbass cop kills a black person but doesn't say a word usually when a dumbass cop kills a white person?

\

CASE CLOSED.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Dunno about that one. Quite a few leaders have genocide on their resume. It's hard to imagine that notion as someone being the product of their times. The systematic extermination of thousands, even millions, you don't get a pass on that one.

Nope, they're included.

Figures like Hitler don't simply will themselves into power and personally exterminate millions of people. Rather they're a product of complex circumstances with various causal factors. This of course doesn't excuse their actions or mean we can't note they're colossal wankers but reducing complex events like the holocaust to simply the actions or wishes of an individual is too simplistic.

Edited by Barothmuk

Examining any political figures in terms of "goodies and baddies" is juvenile. People are products of their circumstances and it's better to examine these circumstances as a whole rather than treating individual figures as if they exist in a vacuum.

I made a similar point  a week ago, I said I don't believe in this notion of good and evil to describe the actions of people as these terms can be very subjective 

John Milton 

Nope, they're included.

Figures like Hitler don't simply will themselves into power and personally exterminate millions of people. Rather they're a product of complex circumstances with various causal factors. This of course doesn't excuse their actions or mean we can't note they're colossal wankers but reducing complex events like the holocaust to simply the actions or wishes of an individual is too simplistic.

You know what? I stand corrected.  

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The best way to pick a political side is to take the worst elements of either party and imagine a world where they get everything they want. If you give the Tea Party conservative that make up the Republican base everything they want you get a plutocracy with libertarian overtones except in social areas where the government once again becomes the "moral police'. Not good.

Give the left wing democrats everything they wants and you get a new Soviet Union including planned economics, nationalization of everything, thought police, gulags and the "disappearing" of people who think dangerous thoughts. Except in social areas where anything goes. Even worse.

So given the choice of a potential "not good" against a potential "even worse" I'm voting for whomever the Republicans nominate this year. Neither side will ever get everything it wants but I'd rather end up closer to the former than the latter.

Thomas Sowell

tumblr_o1ipldav5n1qz9bu3o1_540.jpg

This is old but I just need to say what a beautiful plan Trump has there. 

I'd respect him more if he just said "Oh my God look over there" and ran off the stage.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

tumblr_o1ipldav5n1qz9bu3o1_540.jpg

This is old but I just need to say what a beautiful plan Trump has there. 

Elerond how would Trump be viewed if he was PM in Finland ?

John Milton 

The Trump stuff, while entertaining, is starting to be worrying.  Is this really going to be the candidate of a major political party?  He's basically running opposite of everything Ronald Reagan stood for, which is odd considering Reagan is looked at so fondly by the Republican party.  He genuinely seems to dislike the country.  He praises the blind loyalty of his voters like that is somehow a good thing.

• Like 1