US Elections 2016

Guard Dog

Bill Gates: US 'should take more' refugees

http://www.bbc.com/news/35381521

"Speaking to the BBC at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Mr Gates said his home country "had the capacity" to follow the examples of Germany and Sweden, who were "to be congratulated"

But he acknowledged that relaxing immigration laws "was not easy", and that governments were dealing with "tight budgets".

However, he emphasised that the issue was largely a political one, and that "the total number of refugees is not a world record"."

Not directly part of election debate, but it comes from one that has quite lot economical influence (which often correlates one's ability to influence politics) in US.

• Like 1

Yes they will fail if we get successive Republican presidents who are opposed to them but end of the day these changes don't really effect you. I know you feel they do but  I would say until we get FBI literally coming to your property to confiscate your guns things like Obamacare are not as bad as you think :)

The changes don't affect me? Sorry Bruce I like you but you don't know what the f--k you are talking about. My cost for health insurance has tripled, (you understand the meaning of that word?) tripled in the years since the ACA passed. When Barack Hussein Obama took office I was a RF Design Engineer with AT&T. I had a great job with a decent salary. The ACA drove up costs to the point that AT&T laid off 12,000 employees. I was one of them. The ACA included a "Medical Device Tax" that includes EVEY F-----G piece of diagnostic medical equipment in the US of A, Including veterinarians. So thanks to Barack Hussien Obama it not only costs more to take care of myself it also costs more to take care of my dogs. Thanks to Obama's "war on coal" the cost of electricity has doubled per kilowatt hour all across the US (even in markets served by nuclear power). Who do you think that hurts the most? The wealthy? Guess again. He allowed the sale of guns to Mexican drug cartels under the premise of "tracking" them. Those guns have so far been used to kill 17 US Border Patrol agents, 32 US citizens and over 200 police and citizens in Mexico. Obama's response to all this? Cover it up and make a cynical attempt to blame the violence on the need for more gun control. Under Obama the IRS has become the "Thought Police" ruthlessly persecuting PACs and individuals whose politics they don't approve of. They got caught, the Obama admin tried to cover it up, but the worst f-----g part is it's STILL HAPPENING! Don't even get me started on the VA and his notion to make veterans pay for their own healthcare for combat injuries. And to top is all off let's look at his admin's deficit spending over the last seven years. Tell me Bruce, how long can anything spend more than it's income before it collapses?  It was not an exaggeration to say his administration has spent more in real dollars that all 43 administrations before him.  

No this is just the way he has hurt people. I didn't even get into the power he has usurped from Congress, or the political philosophy on the role of government or the way he has groveled and weakened our position in the world.

If this is your idea of making things better you can keep it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yes they will fail if we get successive Republican presidents who are opposed to them but end of the day these changes don't really effect you. I know you feel they do but  I would say until we get FBI literally coming to your property to confiscate your guns things like Obamacare are not as bad as you think :)

The changes don't affect me? Sorry Bruce I like you but you don't know what the f--k you are talking about. My cost for health insurance has tripled, (you understand the meaning of that word?) tripled in the years since the ACA passed. When Barack Hussein Obama took office I was a RF Design Engineer with AT&T. I had a great job with a decent salary. The ACA drove up costs to the point that AT&T laid off 12,000 employees. I was one of them. The ACA included a "Medical Device Tax" that includes EVEY F-----G piece of diagnostic medical equipment in the US of A, Including veterinarians. So thanks to Barack Hussien Obama it not only costs more to take care of myself it also costs more to take care of my dogs. Thanks to Obama's "war on coal" the cost of electricity has doubled per kilowatt hour all across the US (even in markets served by nuclear power). Who do you think that hurts the most? The wealthy? Guess again. He allowed the sale of guns to Mexican drug cartels under the premise of "tracking" them. Those guns have so far been used to kill 17 US Border Patrol agents, 32 US citizens and over 200 police and citizens in Mexico. Obama's response to all this? Cover it up and make a cynical attempt to blame the violence on the need for more gun control. Under Obama the IRS has become the "Thought Police" ruthlessly persecuting PACs and individuals whose politics they don't approve of. They got caught, the Obama admin tried to cover it up, but the worst f-----g part is it's STILL HAPPENING! Don't even get me started on the VA and his notion to make veterans pay for their own healthcare for combat injuries. And to top is all off let's look at his admin's deficit spending over the last seven years. Tell me Bruce, how long can anything spend more than it's income before it collapses?  It was not an exaggeration to say his administration has spent more in real dollars that all 43 administrations before him.  

No this is just the way he has hurt people. I didn't even get into the power he has usurped from Congress, or the political philosophy on the role of government or the way he has groveled and weakened our position in the world.

If this is your idea of making things better you can keep it.

Okay thats  a grim picture, I agree

Before I respond I would like to see if other US members have similar bad experiences in there states with the Obama presidency 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Speaking to the BBC at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Mr Gates said his home country "had the capacity" to follow the examples of Germany and Sweden, who were "to be congratulated"

But he acknowledged that relaxing immigration laws "was not easy", and that governments were dealing with "tight budgets".

However, he emphasised that the issue was largely a political one, and that "the total number of refugees is not a world record"."

Not directly part of election debate, but it comes from one that has quite lot economical influence (which often correlates one's ability to influence politics) in US.

Bill Gates is a great humanitarian and one of my favorite people, I use to work for Microsoft and I respect him immensely

I support most of what he says 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Relaxing immigration laws", lol. He is either very cynical and wishes nothing more to create global society of mindless consumers (hello KP!) or he is simply very foolish. For Christ sake, Germany haven't even accounted for 600 000 out of 1.1 million refugees yet.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Relaxing immigration laws", lol. He is either very cynical and wishes nothing more to create global society of mindless consumers (hello KP!) or he is simply very foolish. For Christ sake, Germany haven't even accounted for 600 000 out of 1.1 million refugees yet.

Of course he wants mindless consumers, this is the guy behind Microsoft after all.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not directly part of election debate, but it comes from one that has quite lot economical influence (which often correlates one's ability to influence politics) in US.

Bill Gates is a great humanitarian and one of my favorite people, I use to work for Microsoft and I respect him immensely

And how many refugees will Mr. Gates take to his mansion? He obviously have room and budget.

It's funny how all those rich people are pro immigrants/refugees when we all know they will never see them unless it's some publicity stunt in controlled environment.

I wonder how many rich would be pro if refugees camps and homes were build into their rich neighbourhoods.

Of course he wants mindless consumers, this is the guy behind Microsoft after all.

Guys come on lets be fair now, there are many Billionaires that deserved to be criticized for there  indifference and opulence 

But Bill Gates is really one of the good guys. I remember in the 1990's he was ruthless, driven and obsessed with Microsoft dominating the world. His motto was " a PC in every house in every country" 

Then he met his wife, fell in love and went with her on one of her humanitarian trips to Africa. That trip fundamentally changed his entire view on life and what mattered, now his motto was  " how can we want a PC in every home when there are people who go to bed hungry " 

Anyway  the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have given away billions and helped address poverty in Africa....they really care 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

We need to give them credit 

John Milton 

I agree, we should definitely follow Germany's example: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/22/locals-fled-pool-after-migrants-masturbated-into-jacuzzi-defecated-into-kids-pool-molested-bathers/
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I agree, we should definitely follow Germany's example: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/22/locals-fled-pool-after-migrants-masturbated-into-jacuzzi-defecated-into-kids-pool-molested-bathers/

:lol:

I don't mean to laugh because I know these stories are true and concerning but its like we are faced with the worse behavior from the refugees. But you must remember we are talking about a small percentage of refugees who do this and yes its an issue but lets be honest I really don't think your average refugee from a place like Afghanistan and Pakistan will be very educated or cultured

This type of refugee would never get into the USA so I wouldn't be too concerned. I would rely on Hurlshots exposure to Muslims in the USA because his view has been objective and positive 

John Milton 

Someone mentioned Jim Webb a few pages ago.  I wanted to respond but I did not have time when I read it.  So here is how I (a moderate liberal, not a regressive leftist) think of Jim Webb:

Jim Webb is a moderate Republican from a bygone era, (i.e., the 1980s and early 1990s.) He is actually a moderate conservative, not a liberal.  He is a conservative without the Jesus, bigotry or crazy.   The contemporary Republican Party has become too extreme and far right to tolerate his kind, so he fled to the Democrat Party that has swung right (but not quite enough to replace the original GOP; although in recent years, the Democrat Party has swung back left a little due to the influences of new rising stars like Elizabeth Warren, Bill de Blasio, Bernie Sanders, etc.)

I watched the Democratic debates, googled Jim Webb, and read his profiles. Then I realized, "wait a sec, he is the kind of Republican my dad voted for back in the old days!" (Back in the 1980s when Asians supported the Republican Party.) I cannot support Jim Webb because I do not want the Democrat Party to become a replacement for the bygone Republican Party. If he becomes the leadership of the Democratic Party, Democrats will likely swing right and become more conservative to become more like the original Republican Party. Conservatives will effectively have two candidates in the race: Jim Webb (a moderate conservative) and the radical right candidate (either Donald Trump or Ted Cruz). Liberals will be cheated out of a representation in the presidential race.

Edited by ktchong

"But you must remember we are talking about a small percentage of refugees who do this and yes its an issue but lets be honest I really don't think your average refugee from a place like Afghanistan and Pakistan will be very educated or cultured"

L0L Typical Liberal Mindset. Youa ctually see you as superior as them. the fact you think  it is pefectly acceptable for them to '**** in kid pools' and 'sexually harss little girls' simply 'because they don't know better' says everything. Well, BUDDY, I have higher standards for people because I obviously respect them more than you do.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"But you must remember we are talking about a small percentage of refugees who do this and yes its an issue but lets be honest I really don't think your average refugee from a place like Afghanistan and Pakistan will be very educated or cultured"

L0L Typical Liberal Mindset. Youa ctually see you as superior as them. the fact you think  it is pefectly acceptable for them to '**** in kid pools' and 'sexually harss little girls' simply 'because they don't know better' says everything. Well, BUDDY, I have higher standards for people because I obviously respect them more than you do.

:lol: 

My normal SJ response would be "  I don't like to use the word superior as its goes against the principle of what SJ stands for "

But since its you I'll try to respond .....yes I think I am superior to anyone who thinks its okay to grope children or **** in a public pool. Why do you respect this type of   behavior ....it must be a Canadian thing so NO I don't think these refugees in the article  are as cultured as your average South African and I don't respect them  :biggrin:

John Milton 

He is a conservative without the Jesus, bigotry or crazy.   

Not something that's unique to conservatives.

so he fled to the Democrat Party that has swung right

When did the Democratic Party swing right? They've been gradually moving left nonstop for a century straight. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Does this mean according to the "Merkel is a socialist crowd" Gates is one too?

Bill Gates, a socialist? ??? That can't be. Are there really people who'd believe that?

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

The ignorant liberal elite, right there. The capacity, he says. What an arrogant thing to say, when he would never feel this capacity. 

The ignorant liberal elite, right there. The capacity, he says. What an arrogant thing to say, when he would never feel this capacity. 

Gates is actually a paradigm of healthy Capitalism, he created one of the most successful and influential global software companies the world has ever seen, he is the antithesis of Trump...he represents the positive side of Capitalism ...and of course he is right. The USA can take in hundreds of thousands more refugees. But why would they want to? 

But my friend to call Bill Gates ignorant makes you sound....ignorant  ;)

John Milton 

Gates is actually a paradigm of healthy Capitalism, he created one of the most successful and influential global software companies the world has ever seen, he is the antithesis of Trump...

They're all Trumps

gates-03_3.png

In its most recent annual report to investors, private prison company GEO group listed some risks to its bottom line, including "reductions in crime rates" that "could lead to reductions in arrests, convictions and sentences," along with immigration reform and the decriminalization of drugs. Military contractor DynCorp, meanwhile, has faced allegations of fraud, mismanagement, and even slavery from the Middle East to Eastern Europe.

I don't know man, the people I see complaining about immigration the most tend to live in wide open spaces surrounded by mostly white people.  Typically living among a diverse community makes it harder to be against diversity.  

• Like 2

I don't know man, the people I see complaining about immigration the most tend to live in wide open spaces surrounded by mostly white people.  Typically living among a diverse community makes it harder to be against diversity.  

The opposite seems to be true with my family. My mother, like myself, lives in an area that is plenty racially diverse. She cannot stand black people (though she makes an exception for my black cousin) or Hispanic people.  My extended family however, being the reasonable people they are don't have any issues at all with minorities; though they live in pretty much all white neighborhoods because of their wealth.

The folks who live on the Texas border who are typically the victims of the crimes of border jumpers might disagree with you on that one. Laredo, Eagle Pass, and El Paso have real problems with Mexican drug cartels and their use of people who cross the border unimpeded. I'm guessing Kate Steinle would disagree also if she hadn't been murdered by an illegal that had already been deported five times for criminal acts and came back a sixth. Don't know that name? That's ok Barack Obama didn't either, although this happened in San Francisco. 

While I realize it is faulty logic to paint the many with the actions of a few it sickens me to see people gloss over the criminal acts, many of them violent, of people who are breaking our laws just being here. The governments of Europe are doing the same thing by glossing over the rapes and assaults by those mindless savages they are importing from the middle east. The folks on the left who want this to happen don't want to hear about the harm it causes to people who wanted nothing more than to live their lives in peace in their home countries. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Gates is actually a paradigm of healthy Capitalism, he created one of the most successful and influential global software companies the world has ever seen, he is the antithesis of Trump...

They're all Trumps

gates-03_3.png

In its most recent annual report to investors, private prison company GEO group listed some risks to its bottom line, including "reductions in crime rates" that "could lead to reductions in arrests, convictions and sentences," along with immigration reform and the decriminalization of drugs. Military contractor DynCorp, meanwhile, has faced allegations of fraud, mismanagement, and even slavery from the Middle East to Eastern Europe.

Baro its almost unethical and seems to lack integrity to attack an institution like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation considering everything they have done for indigent people in places like Africa. Lets not even entertain the notion that they are frauds ....if you really require it I can post dozens of links that are 100 % credible about what they have done to address social inequality and global poverty ....but you can just Google this yourself to save me having to post something that is so easy to reference :)

John Milton 

The folks who live on the Texas border who are typically the victims of the crimes of border jumpers might disagree with you on that one. Laredo, Eagle Pass, and El Paso have real problems with Mexican drug cartels and their use of people who cross the border unimpeded. I'm guessing Kate Steinle would disagree also if she hadn't been murdered by an illegal that had already been deported five times for criminal acts and came back a sixth. Don't know that name? That's ok Barack Obama didn't either, although this happened in San Francisco. 

While I realize it is faulty logic to paint the many with the actions of a few it sickens me to see people gloss over the criminal acts, many of them violent, of people who are breaking our laws just being here. The governments of Europe are doing the same thing by glossing over the rapes and assaults by those mindless savages they are importing from the middle east. The folks on the left who want this to happen don't want to hear about the harm it causes to people who wanted nothing more than to live their lives in peace in their home countries. 

No the EU is not  trying to cover-up the crimes of the refugees at events like NY, thats an egregious exaggeration and unfair 

In some places like Cologne it took the mayor and his staff some time to process what had occured but now its clear what happened. In other parts of the EU the next day illegal activities  committed by the refugees were literally posted .This is not the same thing as saying  " The EU is glossing over these crimes " 

But we have to accept the EU will take sometime to understand how it manages these types of social crimes and the best way to address it 

And finally the EU is not importing these refugees ....that would be  like saying the USA is importing Mexicans. People are desperate  to immigrate to the EU ...its not  like the EU wants them or rather lets say "the EU doesn't want anymore " and  I completely agree with this. The EU has done more than enough for various refugees :)

John Milton