The truth about western people?

Qistina

Qistina, the last time I was in Singapore I picked up this little book on a whim just to get a little insight on how a Malaysian woman transplanted to the USA with her family perceived their new life in Texas.

I found it fascinating enough that it took me two sittings to finish it. Maybe it'll give you a better understanding of American...or atleast Texas culture, from the perspective of your countrywoman. 

6261209.jpg

To be fair, the family is upper class, educated, and are peranaken, so the culture shock wouldn't be as pronounced as it would be for the typical Malaysian.

But nevertheless, I'd encourage you to pick it up if you get a chance.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6261209-a-nyonya-in-texas

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Western people don't even read the Bible, in this experiment these guys covering the Bible make it look like Quran, when they read the verses people thought it is from Quran, western people don't even know but yet they comment about Islam this and that...

Are Americans really like these...?

Implying that knowing the Bible passages in and out is what constitutes the western world. Stop projecting that knowing the scripture line to line (in your case, the Quran) is what makes a civilization. Your view of society is build on a very unsolid foundation.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd argue that the west didn't become as prosperous and scientifically advanced as it is until it started entirely ignoring stupid fairytales, but that's just me.

Nononono, it's because the dark ages never existed, and we have been in constant progression instead. Our time is a falsification, we actually live in the year 1718.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/12/time-go-phantom-time-hypothesis/

Since i cannot take this thread seriously, i'm having some fun instead.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'd argue that the west didn't become as prosperous and scientifically advanced as it is until it started entirely ignoring stupid fairytales, but that's just me.

That reminds me bit of this quote from Albert Einstein's Autobiographical Notes.

I came—though the child of entirely irreligious (Jewish) parents—to a deep religiousness, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of twelve. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of freethinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression. Mistrust of every kind of authority grew out of this experience, a skeptical attitude toward the convictions that were alive in any specific social environment—an attitude that has never again left me, even though, later on, it has been tempered by a better insight into the causal connections. It is quite clear to me that the religious paradise of youth, which was thus lost, was a first attempt to free myself from the chains of the 'merely personal,' from an existence dominated by wishes, hopes, and primitive feelings. Out yonder there was this huge world, which exists independently of us human beings and which stands before us like a great, eternal riddle, at least partially accessible to our inspection and thinking. The contemplation of this world beckoned as a liberation, and I soon noticed that many a man whom I had learned to esteem and to admire had found inner freedom and security in its pursuit. The mental grasp of this extra-personal world within the frame of our capabilities presented itself to my mind, half consciously, half unconsciously, as a supreme goal. Similarly motivated men of the present and of the past, as well as the insights they had achieved, were the friends who could not be lost. The road to this paradise was not as comfortable and alluring as the road to the religious paradise; but it has shown itself reliable, and I have never regretted having chosen it. -Albert Einstein

• Like 2

Alright, since people keep calling me a troll, i will stop posting...it seems to be no use to talk with western peoples because you will never understand, maybe because you have been accustomed to feel being superior than other people, western/Europe centric, you never feel what it is like to be weak, and don't know the value of things and don't know how other people perceive the world. For you the world is just about you and not about anything else, you are the center of the world, and the world is you. I should realize that why would i bother to make western people understand? Who am i the third world people to make the first world people understand anything?

Bye oby2, I'll see you in your next form.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Alright, since people keep calling me a troll, i will stop posting...it seems to be no use to talk with western peoples because you will never understand, maybe because you have been accustomed to feel being superior than other people, western/Europe centric, you never feel what it is like to be weak, and don't know the value of things and don't know how other people perceive the world. For you the world is just about you and not about anything else, you are the center of the world, and the world is you. I should realize that why would i bother to make western people understand? Who am i the third world people to make the first world people understand anything?

I'd urge you to not stop posting and keep a dialogue going Ms Qistina, I don't regard you as a troll and don't wish you to go away as you represent a different worldview and that should be welcomed. However feeling superior, weak, not knowing the value of things, or how others percieve the world, none of this is born out of an east versus west struggle: Power and privilege lies in class and wealth, and there is just as much inequality you do not know about in the west as there is we do not know of in the Far East.

Please don't accept the easy answers and the prejudicial attitudes of a manufactured hostility. We are really not so different.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I didn't feel as though it was actually oby...and given that they seem to actually be willing to leave (...well, based on their last message - we'll see if they actually carry that out), it kinda just reaffirms my belief it's not oby, since, you know, actually giving up doesn't seem to really be his style. But regardless of whether they're oby or not, what other conclusion besides troll can you reach with such consistent obstinateness and stubbornness in literally every topic they appear in, whether it's about Dark Souls, Star Wars, "western people", or any of the other political threads? :ermm:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I didn't feel as though it was actually oby...and given that they seem to actually be willing to leave (...well, based on their last message - we'll see if they actually carry that out), it kinda just reaffirms my belief it's not oby, since, you know, actually giving up doesn't seem to really be his style. What other conclusion besides troll can you reach with such consistent obstinateness and stubbornness in literally every topic they appear in, whether it's about Dark Souls, Star Wars, "western people", or any of the other political threads they've appeared in? :ermm:

It's the female muslim version of Bruce? Oh wait, that's still a troll...

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't get this obsession with alts this board has, but in my experience almost every single time they end up telling the truth. Unless people are going through a lot of technical trouble to troll, they're unlikely to be alts of each other because we have access to IPs and do check if we suspect there are alts trolling.

That being said, pretty sure that's not what this thread is about - discussing other posters will continue to be frowned upon here and I'm getting a bit irritated at how many threads devolve into who is or isn't a troll. We always say "tackle the ball, not the player" and if you don't like the other children playing the game there's no obligation to keep playing it, but if you try to kick them in the shins we'll give you a paddlin'.

With that derailment, this thread is closed.

Edited by TrueNeutral

It's funny.  I have a bible study group in which I translate the bible from Greek and the people there use three (sometimes four) English translations and we compare mine to theirs.  The guy making the video didn't ask *me* about the verses.  ...And I defy someone to find an instance in this forum where I've made a blanket statement about Muslims.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not mad.  I'm just pointing out, as others have already done here in this thread probably better than me, that the response to over simplification and failure to use rigorous logic isn't to resort to the same tacics.  It just hardens the other side all the more.

However, I will point out that there are examples of violent passages in the Old Testament and, for all of the fact that Christianity is literally based on peace, there are passages in which Jesus himself displays what most would construe as anger.  He also talks of pitting family against family.  ...And of course the adherents to any religion can be violent, no matter what that religion technically teaches.  In this case, not only Christians, but also Buddhists and other religions.  I tend to avoid reductionist views on religion.  Then again, I'm religious so it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I don't tend to respond to these threads, even when I lurk in them, so I'll leave the last word to other folks.  I would, nevertheless, urge people to be gentle with one another.  Hate each others religions, politics, and sports teams, but try not to hate each other.  Attack each others positions with utmost vigor, but not each others persons.

EDIT:  Sorry, TN, I was posting while you were locking.  lol

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!