drop the backer NPC's and put that work into fleshing out some of the minor ones that are already there.

Obsidian had to put effort into backer NPCs?

instead of a 15-level megadungeon have four 3-4 level ones well integrated into the main quest

Why? The dungeons integrated into the main plot were short, fun and to the point, while the megadungeon served the role of a dungeon dedicated to people who enjoy dungeon crawling. It's the best of both worlds really, it's not like there would be more plot content in 4 level dungeons than there is in 1-2 level dungeons, it would just be pointless filler for those who want to experience the story.

I liked Twin Elms too, but it also felt sadly underdeveloped, even more so than Defiance Bay. I'd drop it because I'd rather have one really good thing than two mediocre ones.

Let's drop Defiance Bay and properly develop the actually interesting city then :-P

Why not? In my opinion, BG2 is up there with Commandos 2 in the realm of sequels that did everything better than their predecessor.

I enjoyed BG2 a lot less than BG1. The focus clearly shifted from a game focused on "adventure" and exploration to a much more story-based RPG. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

drop the backer NPC's and put that work into fleshing out some of the minor ones that are already there.

Obsidian had to put effort into backer NPCs?

To get from a paragraph written by a fan to an NPC in the game does take effort, and there are a LOT of them.

instead of a 15-level megadungeon have four 3-4 level ones well integrated into the main quest

Why? The dungeons integrated into the main plot were short, fun and to the point, while the megadungeon served the role of a dungeon dedicated to people who enjoy dungeon crawling. It's the best of both worlds really, it's not like there would be more plot content in 4 level dungeons than there is in 1-2 level dungeons, it would just be pointless filler for those who want to experience the story.

The megadungeon would've made a decent expansion, Durlag's Tower style. It's out of place in the "regular" game though, and I would've preferred that the considerable effort that went into it would've gone into fleshing out the underdeveloped areas of the main game.

I liked Twin Elms too, but it also felt sadly underdeveloped, even more so than Defiance Bay. I'd drop it because I'd rather have one really good thing than two mediocre ones.

Let's drop Defiance Bay and properly develop the actually interesting city then :-P

Sure, why not?

Why not? In my opinion, BG2 is up there with Commandos 2 in the realm of sequels that did everything better than their predecessor.

I enjoyed BG2 a lot less than BG1. The focus clearly shifted from a game focused on "adventure" and exploration to a much more story-based RPG.

I find BG1 thoroughly mediocre, interesting mostly for historical reasons and significant because it laid the groundwork for the much better games that came later.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I also hope they don't go the "BG1 to BG2" route. The first PoE was enough dedication to the old IE games, let the second one do it's own thing.

It's about imitating the BG2 formula. The first Pillars did well going a storyline similar to BG1, because it hooked the audience for this franchise. Now just going the "safe route" and implementing everything BG2 stood out with, like crossing a checklist, is not only lazy and uncreative, but also not deserved for a brand new franchise that has yet to fully realize it's potential.

It's like what JJ Abrams did with his second Star Trek Movie. Most viewers were pissed because he just remade the popular Wrath of Khan in his own way instead of doing some original stuff. And now everyone is scared he would do the same with Star Wars.

Edited by LordFey

I think when people ask for a BG1 to BG2 sequel they're generally asking for a sequel that uses the framework of the original to do bigger, better and more interesting things, not for a title that literally mimics BGII's plot, gameplay and artistic beats.

Unless you're hoping for Pillars of Eternity II to be a title with large mechanical departures/experiments, I don't see what's wrong about hoping for that (although it's easier said than done.. even the folks at BioWare don't quite seem to know how to replicate that kind of environment and development cycle).

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

I think when people ask for a BG1 to BG2 sequel they're generally asking for a sequel that uses the framework of the original to do bigger, better and more interesting things, not for a title that literally mimics BGII's plot, gameplay and artistic beats.

I'd also hope for that. But if I recall correctly Josh Sawyer already said things like that a potential PoE2 would play in a much more foreign and alien setting instead of the more "classic" setting of PoE 1, like what BG2 did after BG1. I even think he mentioned explicitly BG2. But maybe I exaggerate. Edited by LordFey

A constant complaint with Pillars of Eternity was that they kept the setting too safe so going for something slightly more exotic (to the usual target audience of this kind of game anyway, exotic and foreign is in the eye of the beholder after all) makes sense. It's hard for me to read that as "they're copying Baldur's Gate II".

Twin Elms was good imo. Much better than DB. It also helped that the companions, for some reason, started to talk way more in part 3, when in part 2 were mostly silent unless you were resolving their personal quest. This also prooves Obs didn't gave that much effort in DB. Maybe they designed it first and they were "ok, we have to put some factions... there, the detectives we talk about... hmmm must have something cool for the main story... leave it aside for the moment" then. Not much of an inspiration. Then, several months later, while they were finishing DB all the great ideas started  to pop out! "Man, I have an idea about the mad lord and his super complex fort-dungeon and the Twin Elms can have this and this and that, and them Hiravias can say this about that and Sagani the other nad the intro should have all those dialogue options and the dungeon has all those interesting paths and outcomes and oh! oh! for the main story I have this idea of Heritage Hill let's just squeeze it in DB somewhere..." etc etc and they are in an inspiration streak and then they realize the release day approaches and have no time to redo DB so the game comes out and... well... what to do? Next time :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

Twin Elms was good imo. Much better than DB. It also helped that the companions, for some reason, started to talk way more in part 3, when in part 2 were mostly silent unless you were resolving their personal quest. This also prooves Obs didn't gave that much effort in DB. Maybe they designed it first and they were "ok, we have to put some factions... there, the detectives we talk about... hmmm must have something cool for the main story... leave it aside for the moment" then. Not much of an inspiration. Then, several months later, while they were finishing DB all the great ideas started  to pop out! "Man, I have an idea about the mad lord and his super complex fort-dungeon and the Twin Elms can have this and this and that, and them Hiravias can say this about that and Sagani the other nad the intro should have all those dialogue options and the dungeon has all those interesting paths and outcomes and oh! oh! for the main story I have this idea of Heritage Hill let's just squeeze it in DB somewhere..." etc etc and they are in an inspiration streak and then they realize the release day approaches and have no time to redo DB so the game comes out and... well... what to do? Next time :p

If Defiance Bay is proof that they got better over time, then that's pretty good for PE2.  

I don't think anything is wrong with Defiance Bay per se.  It just needs more content.  If the other three districts had been like the harbor, it would have been much cooler.  Twin Elms also benefits from the excellently designed area north of Twin Elms.  That's probably the best wilderness area in the game.

• Like 1

The problem with Twin Elms for me is that at this point i am finale ready. There was enought questing and side questing and it is time for main plot could come to conclusion. It is more about pace of the game.

I really like the construction of KotOR:

1. Begining

2. Several "Open" Locations

3. End chapter.

• Like 2

I agree with the above post. The story feels it's moving towards its conclusion fast when you get to Twin Elms.

Other than that I quite liked the place. I don't really like "tribal forest settlements" in RPGs usually but I think they pulled off Twin Elms beautifully. That said, I wish it had some overarching theme/quest to it. Actually I wish Defiance Bay had that also. Mostly they feel like a collection of small quests, but I wish there would be one or two lengthy quests that sorta really involved the city overall and that would not be a part of the main storyline. I think that would give both the cities some more... I dunno, personality. It doesn't feel like you can really "dig into" these places the way I wish you would.

I also think some of the Twin Elms quests felt a bit weird with the different factions. Like how you could slaughter the faction that sacrifices people. I mean, I appreciated the reputation system but it just felt weird that those factions were so self-contained.

I think Defiance Bay fails a bit more to portray its "big city" feel. Twin Elms is large but I think that it fits that it's sorta sparse. Defiance Bay needed more bustle and crowded streets I think. More Ondra's Gift really. I think that area was really good, was the one that felt city-esque for me. Hopefully they can improve upon that in a sequel (hopefully upgrading to the new Unity version means they can go to town more with NPCs walking around and all that).

And yeah, what excites me about PoE2 is that they have so much of the framework now. They don't need to tear everything down and build it up again like what many sequels do. I mean obviously some things should be improved mechanically and all that but what excites me is that hopefully they can just go crazy with content creation. I really hope that they can just create a crazy huge game like BG2. Especially if they continue in the vein of the White March areas (just, please tone down the number of combat encounters a bit) which feel dense and interesting.

• Like 4

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I agree with the sentiment on the previous page about fleshing out one big area, making it full of quests and interactions, rather than making two big areas with half the content in each.  Hopefully that's one of the things Obsidian looks at for PoE2.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Sawyer implied that part 2 of the White March might get a little bit on the crazy side, so I'm curious to see that happen.

Although I guess that simply focusing a little bit more on the Vithrak might be enough to fulfill the "crazy" part.

In what way crazy?

Story, environments, characters ?

The world they've built is great, I'm sure they'll be able to come up with an engaging story for a sequel :)

I loved the Baldur's Gate games because I was / am a huge Forgotten Realms nerd, and I feel like giving us more of the setting would tickle that same part of my brain - but the story is the main attraction

In what way crazy?

Story, environments, characters ?

Probably story and setting. Maybe the scale of whatever threat is coming the way of the White March, as he compared it to the relatively low stakes of part 1.

Great! Will WM p2 be integrated in main story or will it be separated world with own world map?

Some ideas for PoE 2:

Epic levels - not exacly epic, but shape of xp proression. In PoE characters turns into shape till level 9 when they finally get ready to do what we want, but soon after the game ends. So it will be good to have time to enjoy our build. Could be in expansion (optional) version with some dynamic level scaling.

Godlike destiny - being PC godlike could result in some personal quest of earning god favour. Like in PoE if we are fire godlike Durance can tell PC that "You are also child of the Whore" (Dont talk that about my mother! ) and advice to pray in Defiance Bay Temple, and then we do the dragon quest and get some cool reward (like ability to breath fire).

Companion love - Maybe it is Bioware curse, but loyality quests for companions are cool (in ME2 was really good) and could provide some kind of reward. Like unique ability or stat boosts. It is not that only watcher can be special.

Companion relationship - it could be more complex, but cool technology. If the way we speak to companion have some consequences instead of pick everything untill it greys down, our action or talking could result in relationship: bros, mentor, no bullship (neutral), rivalry, lover. Saying Durance that if he wasnt Priest we would abandon him in the endless dungeon would be priceless.

New story - maybe since Eothas is off the picture there is god vacancy and some smartass animant will try to fill the spot (it is not original plot, but what is?) to twist the things, he or she could be a decent guy and make a lot of sense, so player could feel urgue to help him instead.

Edited by evilcat

I'm all in for PoE2. I'm also all in for a Baldur's Gate 3. I believe Obsidian can do it. In fact, they are probably the only current dev that has the ability to pull off a BG3.

I'm sure they will go the PoE2 route (which I am hoping for). I am wondering, will it be Kickstarter again? I assume they have enough funds and resources after PoE to make PoE2 on their own. I'm not opposed to a Kickstarter if still needed, I'm just wondering.

• Like 1

Meh, I'm not sure about the companion interaction/relationship thing. When done seriously it tends to skew the entire game around it; BioWare's games are a good example of this. I think it helps keep the game more focused if companion relationships sort of just happen over the course of the game, rather than being something that have to be actively pursued.

And romances, of course, ruin evvvverything.

• Like 3

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I too like the idea of PoE2 starting in the Valian Republics with a ship as your mobile stronghold.

No to romances, I'm OK with romance mods but I'd prefer development time being concentrated on the core story.

I was disappointed with both Twin Elms and Stalwart, to me they both feel like re-enactor camps/fairs (random collection of architecture arranged for appearance) rather than towns where real people lived. Ondra's Gift is excellent and I'm OK with First Fires but it should have had some kind of shady back street for the *real* discussions of state to happen in. A few soul stories could be linked into quests and/or tasks.

I'm OK with the backer NPCs but I'd like something more to be done with them.

EG, get the backers to organise themselves into clusters, each of which has to create a network of interlinked soul stories. As a watcher the protagonist gets a small amount of experience for reading each soul story plus a bonus for discovering linked stories. A single soul-NPC might be in more than one network with soul fragments that manifest at different times (is this lore compatible?) Soul stories are recorded/tracked in the journal.

I didn't like the backer memorials at all, *Vanity* content is OK so long as the backers put some effort into being lore-friendly, the memorials are just graffiti.

Dunryd Row has been trashed  but there is no reason why PoE2 could not be set in the past to allow for a Dunryd Holmes or, if we are in the Valian Republics, a Falcón Cipher as major quest guide.

Without knowing how it changes in WM-2 I'd ask that Survival should affect hostile effect durations plus health, Athletics could boost defences (reflex?) as well as endurance. There are no dump abilities in PoE, there shouldn't be any dump skills.

I'd be OK with PrimeJunta's suggestion of merging the fighting classes into one to allow more creative builds.

In general I don't like multi-classing and think that an open-class system (mostly like PoE) is more suitable for a party RPG than a classless (skill tree) system.

I don't like druids (blame Jaheira) but agree the class concept needs work, at present I don't feel the class has any soul, I feel it's a bit me-too.

Maybe priests and druids could be merged?

Shape/soul-shifting could become a class talent/ability.

Rangers coulkd play-up the kith-animal bond thing, not just be a ranged fighter.

Possibility for a minor animal swarm summons in suitable surroundings as a per-rest ability.

Animancers? should this be a class or a background since many are charlatans…

The reputations system is great, maybe local reputations should have 2 dimensions, friend-foe plus unknown-respected.

As a game option (to side step balance issues) they might be influenced by background, race etc.

• Like 1

I'm all in for PoE2. I'm also all in for a Baldur's Gate 3. I believe Obsidian can do it.

Obsidian can only do spiritual succesor of BG3 which PoE is in some way. I think that buying the licence from EA and Bioware is not a wise bussines choice.

Furthermore, money deal for that licence is huge but not sure how much.

It's far better to develop and improve Pillars of Eternity, their own IP and create similar.

Edited by Cyseal
  • Like 1

I'd love to see PoE II. Playing through PoE for a second time + expansion, I've had some thoughts.

-The game really needs larger outdoor areas. Shockingly... I would not be totally opposed if a move to full 3d was made. Something similar to Wasteland 2... only better. I didn't think the graphics in PoE were that spectacular, so such a transition wouldn't be that noticeable. It would also have other advantages:

-Would help remove clutter in combat by allowing the game to move the camera to a more top down view should the player want

-The landscape can be more dynamic and interactive without needing to "cheat" with penrose triangles and the likes

-Would probably help remove the (for some) long load screens

-Theoretically you could zoom in on characters you interact with. Low polygon count and pixelated textures would hurt this though.

-More RP and interactivity like the start of "The White March Part I"! The ability to eavesdrop and follow characters, and the trek into the burning building was a nice touch. I am generally all for things happening in the world at their own pace, and its up to the player, their skills, and even plain dumb luck to pick up and notice these clues. Maybe you hear about a young foolish adventurer heading out to some location. If you are quick, maybe you can save his life or even talk sense to him before he runs into danger. If you leave the quest in your log for several in game months, all you will find are his sun dried bones. That sort of thing. Bring a sense or urgency to *some* quests. Not all.

-Related to the above...where possible, avoid spawning quest related characters *after* you accept the relevant quest. One of the charms in the Baldur's Gate games were that you could complete a number of quests simply by stumbling into them. Kill some crazy dude, find an item etc. It also helps create the illusion of a persistent world thats there regardless of the player actions.

-More tough choices. Quests with multiple variables and outcomes and consequence. Some quests should hurt, and trying to juggling it all to get a "perfect" result should be difficult, if not impossible.

-I'd generally hope that PoE II remains more grounded. Move a bit away from all the soul related stuff in PoE.