+1 for the Vailian Republics. The potential for architectural awesome is beyond belief :)

And not only that. The whole adventure can have a more renaissance feel, travel to different cities instead of villages (or parts of cities), you know, be more urban, have a side naval adventure and maybe return for a wile to the Dyrwood or Eir Glanfath (like for a smal/medium quest chain) 'cause I don't feel I got enough of them in PoE :p

Anyway, Republics first, rest of the world afterwards :p

And instead of stronghold PC gets own ship  (also use it for fast travel) . And can sail with goods. :-)

Aw right!!! Ship instead of stronghold! Super neat idea!  +500 for that!

We need a Dunryd Row spin off in which the main is a Dunryd Row detective and all quests are crimes to solve, with the main story as an overarching conspiracy. Like, dudes ... serirousry.

• Like 6

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

We need a Dunryd Row spin off in which the main is a Dunryd Row detective and all quests are crimes to solve, with the main story as an overarching conspiracy. Like, dudes ... serirousry.

Ah... the lost possibilities of Defiance Bay... so many cool ideas, so poorly done... such a pitty :(

I really, really, really hope they make it up for Defiance Bay in the sequel.

• Like 1

Ah... the lost possibilities of Defiance Bay... so many cool ideas, so poorly done... such a pitty :(

Massive understatement.  Dunryd Row was a huge missed opportunity in the game and should have been involved in the actual plot, not been a sidebar foot note of "Oh yeah there's Dunryd Row and someone in there want's to talk to you."  Nothing about it was used in the story and I sure as heck would have been happier with a Dunryd Cipher companion than "I have no personality.... THE BELLS AND BABIES" character we ended up with.

• Like 5

Massive understatement.  Dunryd Row was a huge missed opportunity in the game and should have been involved in the actual plot, not been a sidebar foot note of "Oh yeah there's Dunryd Row and someone in there want's to talk to you."  Nothing about it was used in the story and I sure as heck would have been happier with a Dunryd Cipher companion than "I have no personality.... THE BELLS AND BABIES" character we ended up with.

Yeah, especially when it was talked so much during the kicksatrter and the development process (one of the first character portraits was that orlan cipher detective if I remeber correctly). I thought it was something new for the genre and seemed very interesting. In fact, I was given the idea that a major and central questline in DB will be resolving around the detective house and it was pumping up my expectation to reach the city when I was playing. Imagine my disapointment when I satrted exploring DB with all its short, shallow and uninteresting quests and factions... at most parts. There were good thing also, mainly the Heritage Hill area but anyway, the bitterness of that missed opportunity still lingers in my (mental) mouth. I'm about to start another playthrough when the 2nd part of the expansion is out and the idea that I'll have to go through Defiance Bay again puts me a bit off :(

• Like 3

Yeah. I was also bummed about not having Sherlock Orlan as a companion. (Although I did like the GM. On my first playthroughs. Her spaceyness started to grate after a while though.)

He's the only Dunryd Row member to have survived Thaos' assault. I have hopes for the sequel!

• Like 2

Wasn't the hope that PoE would do well enough on Kickstarter (funding-wise) in order to help them self-fund future PoE titles?  I'd hope that's still the case, considering how successful PoE's Kickstarter seemed to be.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I too hope a 2nd installment will come to happen. And I trust them enough to assume that it will be another great rp game :)

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

I doubt I will buy PoE 2 outside of a sale nd major recommendations. I have yet to finish PoE. I was on my way to Twin Elms and decided to clear the rest of Old Nua. Then I just....meh. I had already gotten to the point of "meh" well before that. My biggest gripe with PoE was the class system. If they went classes and unrestrained magic, I would probably have been a lot happier. Overall, it's not that I didn't like PoE so much as it left me with no reason to want more of it.

^

Yeah, now that would've made a cool expansion. Imagine if they put the effort into that that went into WM!

The more I think about it, the more it irritates me! If they had not much time or resources to make Defiance Bay huge and meaningful they should just focus on e few core things. What we know of the city? It's full of refugees, there is a cemetery district that is off-limits because undead are roaming, there are 3 major factions that are concerned about the situation and somehow we have to figure out what is going on with Thaos and the animancers. Ok great. It sounds very interesting by itself.

What they could do is have a district dedicated to refugees alone, have us meet with Dunyrd Row and and a major detective and through them investigate what is going on and come to a conclusion. There is no need to choose between any of the factions. They are so quarter-assed that you don't get to bond with them anyway. Instead we could just interract with them in various ways and use them in order to walk through the investigation. Then tie it all up with the animancers, make us have some serious choices on how we push the investigation and what we decide to do after we solve it (use reputation/stats/skill based dialogues and scripted interactions to full potencial) and there you go.

No need for an empty-ish market district with those unrelated quests, no need for choosing sides with those quarter-assed factions and most importantly no need to have that intervention in the meeting with the duc and the factions and the nonsensical riot event.

Less random stuff, more story-based experience if you got no time for both is my suggestion to the devs.

Also sprach Sedrefilos :p

Now it's time to move on. Enough rant about Defiance Bay :p

Edited by Sedrefilos

Ehhh, Kickstarter overstretch. They came up with a lot of nutty stuff during it, and the game would've been better off without it. Sometimes more is more and a Pillars style game does need to be big enough to feel... big, but overstretch is overstretch. Drop Twin Elms, put that effort into Defiance Bay instead, instead of a 15-level megadungeon have four 3-4 level ones well integrated into the main quest, drop the backer NPC's and put that work into fleshing out some of the minor ones that are already there. 

The inns were cool though, except the Dracogen one with its jarring, out-of-place name, innkeeper, and logo. That felt too close to paid in-game advertising to me.

If they do crowdfund Pillars 2 I hope they really have learned the lessons they say they've learned. Sometimes giving people what they ask for is not giving them what they want.

• Like 5

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I also hope they don't go the "BG1 to BG2" route. The first PoE was enough dedication to the old IE games, let the second one do it's own thing.

PoE becomes its own thing like Baldur's Gates became Dragon Age then people start to complain thet they don't do the games like they did back in the two thousand teens. Then some people in 2030 make a kistarter and make a game that is inspired by Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns and Legend of Grimrock. They get a huge ammount of money, everyone is celebrating and the circle repeats itself.  lol :lol:

• Like 4

I think that part of problem with Dragon Age and Mass Effect is EA disease, which results in rash of DLC.

Sometimes giving people what they ask for is not giving them what they want.

That is so true.

Everybody have own vision of "ideal game" and sometimes this are different games. And sticking to dev vision is the way to at least keep consistency.

• Like 1

The selling point of Pillars for me was the "best parts of Icewind Dales, Torment and Bladur's Gates". Good dungeoneering of IWD, good dialogue and roleplay of Torment and good setting, characters, companions and main plot of BGs. To me, Pillars delivered their promise at most part. The genral "feel" or IE games was there too and all the annoying things like boring classes, poor pnp implemented mechanics, no real real-time combat etc were out. The new stuff they tried are new level crpg imo (mostly how roleplay is expressed through stats, skills and rep); they just didn't use them to full potential. We can hope to see this coming true in the sequel, I hope.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Ehhh, Kickstarter overstretch. They came up with a lot of nutty stuff during it, and the game would've been better off without it. Sometimes more is more and a Pillars style game does need to be big enough to feel... big, but overstretch is overstretch. Drop Twin Elms, put that effort into Defiance Bay instead, instead of a 15-level megadungeon have four 3-4 level ones well integrated into the main quest, drop the backer NPC's and put that work into fleshing out some of the minor ones that are already there. 

The inns were cool though, except the Dracogen one with its jarring, out-of-place name, innkeeper, and logo. That felt too close to paid in-game advertising to me.

If they do crowdfund Pillars 2 I hope they really have learned the lessons they say they've learned. Sometimes giving people what they ask for is not giving them what they want.

I don't understand why you would want to drop Twin Elms though. I felt like the writers really got to use the specificities of the PoE setting in it, when Defiance Bay felt like something we had already seen a thousand times before. The thing about leaders having their souls scanned before being elected was used much better in the Vela quest than in the explanation for the Duc's election!

What's so jarring about Dracogen and its barkeeper? And speaking of inns, does the Wailing Banshee ever get its rooms repaired?

And yeah, count me in for hoping that they dial back the Kickstarter stretch goals for the sequel. Although as it is, a lot of the stretch goals really couldn't be used for a sequel, especially the ones about the playable races and classes.

I also hope they don't go the "BG1 to BG2" route. The first PoE was enough dedication to the old IE games, let the second one do it's own thing.

Why not? In my opinion, BG2 is up there with Commandos 2 in the realm of sequels that did everything better than their predecessor.

I don't understand why you would want to drop Twin Elms though. I felt like the writers really got to use the specificities of the PoE setting in it, when Defiance Bay felt like something we had already seen a thousand times before. The thing about leaders having their souls scanned before being elected was used much better in the Vela quest than in the explanation for the Duc's election!

I liked Twin Elms too, but it also felt sadly underdeveloped, even more so than Defiance Bay. I'd drop it because I'd rather have one really good thing than two mediocre ones.

What's so jarring about Dracogen and its barkeeper?

It has the Dracogen, Inc. logo on the inn sign, and the innkeeper has the same name as the CEO of the company. I find that in extremely poor taste. What's next, Kotaku Inn?

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com