European Refugee Crisis : Part 2

BruceVC

Russia has a cheek, maybe they should worry about trying to get there economy out of recession instead of criticizing Merkel

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Russia has a cheek, maybe they should worry about trying to get there economy out of recession instead of criticizing Merkel

Criticizing leadership of those countries that have given Russia economical sanctions is actually one the ways Medvedev tries to to get Russia out of the regression. As if they get people question their leaders in immigration issues they can use that to make them to question sanctions against Russia.

• Like 2

Criticizing leadership of those countries that have given Russia economical sanctions is actually one the ways Medvedev tries to to get Russia out of the regression. As if they get people question their leaders in immigration issues they can use that to make them to question sanctions against Russia.

Good points ...but even if the West drops sanctions the Russian economy needs the oil price to get back to a level where its profitable for them in order to end there recession 

Also most investors won't go back into Russia until there overall economy is more healthy...so its interesting to think what the Russians believe will fundementally change if sanctions are dropped?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sanctions also make it difficult for Russia to get loans from market with decent interest rates and they don't help other actions that could help in economical recovery.

Oil price is something that Russia probably tries to influence by causing problems for OPEC countries.

• Like 2

Sanctions also make it difficult for Russia to get loans from market with decent interest rates and they don't help other actions that could help in economical recovery.

Oil price is something that Russia probably tries to influence by causing problems for OPEC countries.

But China could give Russia billions if they wanted to even with the credit rating companies like Moodys scoring the Russians credit rating junk....the Chinese are a strange nation..I am often confused by what motivates them?

John Milton 

But China could give Russia billions if they wanted to even with the credit rating companies like Moodys scoring the Russians credit rating junk....the Chinese are a strange nation..I am often confused by what motivates them?

China has capacity to do so, but for reason that I can only guess they haven't done so at least yet.

China has their own vision of future, which isn't that easy to always understand. Like for example they are currently seeking to build billion euros bio fuel refinery in northern Finland, even though oil prices are down and there is no market prediction that would indicate that fuel produced from logging waste and possible pulpwood (which causes additional expenses) would be profitable. So guesses are that they think there will be governmental support in some form (direct compensation, like in wind energy or possible regulations tat gasoline needs to have certain amount biofuel mixed in it which is already the case but than it future that percentage will rise or something).

So I can't help to enlighten you in what motivates Chinese government, but I am quite sure that self interest plays big part, but what Chinese see to advance their self interest and what those interest actually are I can't say.

Good points ...but even if the West drops sanctions the Russian economy needs the oil price to get back to a level where its profitable for them in order to end there recession 

Lolwut? Cost of Russian oil is ~ 10-14 US dollars per barrel. Do you meant they restore their  700% profit level?

China has a bigger picture in mind and does not think in terms of 1-2 or even 10 years, they are thinking in terms of 20-50years on top of that. That investment may look weird now, but everyone knows that such low oil prices cannot go forever, also sources of regular oil are finite and a lot of it requires a rather expensive production methods.

Such refinery don't not exist in 20 years of now with out massive additional investment to new refinery technologies. Not mention that running such refinery for ten years cost about 20 billion euros. So building it know in hopes of getting something from it in 20 years in future don't necessary hit me like good plan. But maybe they just build it for 15 years like those French have done with their nuclear plant project, who knows.

Something else to consider it was officially announced at Davos by various Chinese ministers that China is undertaking a huge and complicated economic project. They are going to change there economy from export driven to consumer based, it makes sense for them but this will take 3-5 years....if successful. So we can't expect too much from them

The Chinese came to Africa and said " we want to build real friendships with Africa  in a mutually beneficial way...we won't dictate to Africa like the West has done"...what a load of BS !!! They just aren't public about what they expect African leaders to do

And now the South African economy is under massive pressure and stress because of our China\BRICS relationship 

It always disappoints me how many African leaders assume countries like China must offer a better economic partnership than the West

John Milton 

Such refinery don't not exist in 20 years of now with out massive additional investment to new refinery technologies. Not mention that running such refinery for ten years cost about 20 billion euros. So building it know in hopes of getting something from it in 20 years in future don't necessary hit me like good plan. But maybe they just build it for 15 years like those French have done with their nuclear plant project, who knows.

Nothing wrong with getting methanol from wood byproducts, theoretically it's a very good idea much as getting methane from rubbish dumps is as well. It's probably a lot more sensible than the US getting ethanol from corn and certainly more than us getting methanol from natural gas which are both previous/ ongoing projects elsewhere. Something like the Brazilian ethanol project have been very successful though.

Nothing wrong with getting methanol from wood byproducts, theoretically it's a very good idea much as getting methane from rubbish dumps is as well. It's probably a lot more sensible than the US getting ethanol from corn and certainly more than us getting methanol from natural gas which are both previous/ ongoing projects elsewhere. Something like the Brazilian ethanol project have been very successful though.

There is nothing wrong in idea itself, we already have bio fuel refineries that do so in here in Finland (and in Brazil and other countries where our companies produce their fuels). Neste Oil (Finnish mostly government owned energy company) is for example one of the biggest biofuel producers who produces biofuel from wood. Difference is that they use much cheaper and faster renewable eucalyptus trees instead of slowly growing trees (spruces and pines) that we have here in Finland. Also they use cheaper methods to do their biofuel than what those Chinese plan to do (but that isn't that important detail). And we know that they can't produce biofuel that is competitive without governmental help and regulations demanding that certain amount of fuel need to be biofuel, even though Neste's biodiesel is actually reviewed to be better than diesel produced from oil.

Lolwut? Cost of Russian oil is ~ 10-14 US dollars per barrel. Do you meant they restore their  700% profit level?

...and the 699% gets sliced off the top and pocketed by foremen, gets put into London penthouses by oligarchs, and goes to paying off accountants to cook the books and to keep their mouths shut before taxes get collected from it.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Every Oil producing country needs a minimum selling price to make oil production sustainable and to effectively contribute towards the economy. Russia needs the oil price to be between $90-105 to contribute towards growth 

https://www.rt.com/business/197380-oil-price-russia-100-budget/

Nothing can fix this and Putin needs to take a large share of responsibility for not diversifying the Russian economy 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

The lack of response to these, now, daily occurrences is incredible.

I was against this from the start, but even I'm surprised that even asylum workers are being raped... or killed like that girl in Sweden.

I was regularly accused of being prejudiced on this forum ... or a racist, or even a fascist. Now that the outcome is even worse than I foresaw it - well? Where are the usual SJW suspects? 

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Come the next electoral cycle (if this thing doesn't implode before that) you will find that reports of European civility have been greatly exaggerated.

Now if this does in fact go on, I'll have to agree with your eurocuck assessment. :D

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Hard to tell either way. Crap happens every day everywhere. That and either inflating or deflating it serves people's agendas.

Just as long as the final solution doesn't involve camps to process them or anything :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They're just trying to disperse a bit them to get Calais out of the media and pass the hot potato to some other unlucky locals. Its possibly even worse, because in Calais its blatant how much of a problem it actually is, if they do disperse among other French cities its just going to contribute to crime and disorder in an even fashion so there will be no obligation to report on it and the politicians can keep on pretending that everything is fine.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

well, kind of 'funny' is that part that people which call for action now are seen as 'radical'. Well wait few years and watch how real radicals will deal with it afterwards...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"