Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Blarghagh

Well, all of the prequels have cool fights, where they attempt strikes that wouldn't do any damage even if they weren't blocked. They were okay though, even if Episode III has the commonly referenced weird blender sequence, heh. Ray Park was good though, he must have had fun doing that stuff.

And hey if lightsabers can have crossguards, I think a shield would also fit with the Rule of Cool approach to things. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hate the fights in the prequels soooo much. They're like a bunch of people tapping sticks together. It's a couple kids in the backyard afraid of breaking their toys or hurting one another.

I mean, when Luke fought Vader in the originals, those two also kept their distance. But every swing felt strong. When someone blocked, it stuck. When someone dodged, a piece of scenery got destroyed.

None of this "swinging the lightsaber up and down, then twirl" crap.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hamill said the same thing in at least two separate interviews. "Like Excalibur." He also said that the stunt man who did Vader tried telling him to do some one handed flourishes anyway.

When I watched the movies looking out for this, it made Vader more intimidating. He does one-handed blocks and strikes at the beginning of the ESB fight. Like he can match Luke's strength without trying.

• Like 1

Which gives the fight more meaning. For all the backstory every little detail in the prequels has, very few of them have such meaning as Darth Vader being a badass by fighting one handed, or Luke wearing black throughout Return of the Jedi because he's in danger of turning to the dark side but at the end his shirt falls open to reveal it was always white on the inside.

• Like 1

Which gives the fight more meaning. For all the backstory every little detail in the prequels has, very few of them have such meaning as Darth Vader being a badass by fighting one handed, or Luke wearing black throughout Return of the Jedi because he's in danger of turning to the dark side but at the end his shirt falls open to reveal it was always white on the inside.

Holy crap. I never picked up on that symbolisim

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well one of the comments Lucas made about how the fights should be compared between originals and prequels come down to the fact that we only ever saw three real lightsaber fights. Vader - intimidating as hell, but still kind of half crippled so not being able to show what he could really do, facing against Obi-Wan who was an old man..  and then later against Luke who was still barely trained and didn't have much practical grounding in lightsaber combat.

So that was one of the reasons why they wanted to shift it to something much more mobile/acrobatic and flourish-ey.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Perhaps a mix of Bob Anderson lending experience and verisimilitude to the original trilogy, and George Lucas having lost "it" in the prequels.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I believe you mean this when you say weird blender sequence?

stupid-lightsaber-fight2.gif

Yep that was it, ridiculous :lol:

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

Watching this actually makes me a little worried for the new movie. They have Kasdan writing it and Abrams says that the "Force" is central to this new movie, but I'm not seeing any room for a moment like this. Unless it's at the very end.

The advertising certainly hasn't shown us anything but explosions and fights.

Edit: I take that back. The voiceover from Maz Kanata about eyes could be a moment like this. Or at least trying to be. We'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVCn0Lfm2EY

I've yet to see any movie which features realistic swordfighting. But the Star Wars prequels are esecially guilty of being **** in that regard.

You should read the chapter that Carey Elwes wrote about the sword fight in The Princess Bride.  The rest of his book is a bit of a bore, but that part stood out.

I've yet to see any movie which features realistic swordfighting. But the Star Wars prequels are esecially guilty of being **** in that regard.

You should read the chapter that Carey Elwes wrote about the sword fight in The Princess Bride.  The rest of his book is a bit of a bore, but that part stood out.

That was hands down one of the best swordfights on film. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I've yet to see any movie which features realistic swordfighting. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOcxnQRUhMM

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I usually prefer the more organic style of William Hobbs (The Duellists, Rob Roy, the Musketeers, Robin and Marian etc.) to Bob Anderson's strictly enforced routines, but the Princess Bride stands out here, maybe because of William Goldman's exhaustive research into fencing for his novel.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

While that makes sense, it doesn't explain why lightsabers went from weighing several pounds to an ounce. :p

I think logical arguments aside, the new acrobatic style is more fun to watch. The choreography in The Old Republic intros were terrific and I hope the new movies aim to replicate some of that rather than the Phantom Menace stuff (Which I enjoyed but now that everyone has pointed out how flawed and horrible it is I also can't take seriously  :deadhorse: ).

Edited by Serrano

I hate the fights in the prequels soooo much. They're like a bunch of people tapping sticks together. It's a couple kids in the backyard afraid of breaking their toys or hurting one another.

I mean, when Luke fought Vader in the originals, those two also kept their distance. But every swing felt strong. When someone blocked, it stuck. When someone dodged, a piece of scenery got destroyed.

None of this "swinging the lightsaber up and down, then twirl" crap.

from a real swordfighting point of view, the fights in the original trilogy were much more similar to a real swordfight (while a little clumsy at times) than the spectacular style of the prequels that wastes a ton of time and energy on useless moves that leave their guard open constantly.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

And for the charity side of things...

Omaze - Win Trip to the Premiere of Force Awakens

Hit the premiere, walk the red carpet, and get invited to the afterparty...

Winners:
You + 3

Timing:
TBD 2015

Sponsor:
Omaze, Inc. (“Sponsor”)

Charity:
Africa Cancer Foundation; Arts in the Armed Forces (AITAF); Barnardos UK; Central London Samaritans; Damilola Taylor Trust; fStop Warrior Project; Feeding America; Make-A-Wish; Malala Fund; PACER: Children’s Mental Health and Emotional or Behavioral Disorders Project; Phab; St. Francis Hospice, Raheny; The Circle; UNICEF; Union of Concerned Scientists ("Charity")

Prize Provider:
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures ("Prize Provider")

Details:
This experience includes attending the red carpet premiere of Star Wars: The Force Awakens ("Picture") in either Los Angeles or London. The attendance by any specific cast member, filmmakers, or such other talent from the Picture during the Premiere is not guaranteed and shall be subject to such talent’s availability and Sponsor’s and/or Prize Providers’ sole discretion. Neither Sponsor nor Prize Providers guarantee any type of meeting or photo opportunity with any specific cast member or talent from the Picture during the trip.

Deadline to Enter:
December 4th, 2015 at 11:59pm PST

Mail-in Entries:
Postal entries must be received by November 30 at 11:59pm PST and postmarked by the deadline to enter

Winner Announced:
December 5th, 2015

Who's Eligible:
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited. Must be 18 or older and not a resident of Belgium, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Malta, North Korea, Singapore, Sudan, Syria, and Thailand. Entry is subject to all local laws. Rewards are limited in quantity. Odds of winning depend on number of entries. Winner and Guest may be required to pass a background screening or security check to receive the prize. Travel documents and valid visas required to receive certain prizes. All taxes are Winner’s responsibility. Residents of certain territories may be required to successfully complete a trivia question to qualify.

How to Enter:
Visit Omaze.com and utilize any of our methods of entry, including free mail in entry, free web entry and receive bonus entries for donations (see official rules for details). Winners are chosen through a process of random selection. Odds of winning depend on the number of tickets held. Conditional winners will be required to sign paperwork re-confirming their eligibility and their ability to participate on given dates, and may be required to consent to a background check.

Selection Process:
Conditional winner(s) will be chosen at random by Omaze or its representative. A verification process will take place during which conditional winners will be required to sign paperwork re-confirming their eligibility and their ability to participate on given dates. Omaze may also perform background checks at its discretion before an official winner is announced. You are not eligible to win any prize if you have already won an Omaze prize within the same calendar year.

No purchase, payment, or contribution necessary to enter or win. Contributing will not improve chances of winning. Void where prohibited.
 Funds raised in no way administered by Lucasfilm or Disney.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."