Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Blarghagh

TV spot featuring the asthmatic dude

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That X-Wing pilot sure has the generic video game protagonist look down

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had a lovely surprise foisted on me an hour ago, apparently Mrs Nonek has secured tickets to the local premiere of this latest Star Wars for all our little darlings. Well I guffawed loudly and stated, "Rather you than me!" I'm not a crowds persons, make those crowds screaming children whom I don't have to like, at the busiest, most rude and ignorant season of the year and and i'm positively anti social.

"Oh no you're taking them dear." The light of my life trills, "You've a day booked off on the 18th if you remember."

Gentlemen, there's a lesson to be learned here, always lie to your other half, whatever the ocassion, and no matter how small the matter. Hoisted on my own Petard, for shame.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

*er, I mean, Spanish news station confuses Rebel Alliance symbol for al-Qaeda

http://geektyrant.com/news/star-wars-rebel-alliance-logo-mistaken-for-terrorist-symbol-on-news-mjgt

Funny, I've made the connection with that Rebel Alliance symbol to Islam a few times myself, although I never thought of Al-Qaeda, but rather the Mongol Empire or more likely one of its Persian predecessors or successors (can't recall exactly what, but I remember seeing a flag belonging to one of them that looked markedly similar).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

a716cd8d97.jpg

Not the exact image I had in mind, but I can't find the exact image I had in mind. You can see where I was going with that similar weird pitchfork-like shape, though.

(edit): lol, I always forget that Mongolia still actually exists, unlike so many other medieval or antiquity empires.

Current Mongolian flag:

9d5a6adedf.png

Still got that weird...whatever shape that is. Reminds me of a combination of a crescent moon and a fleur-de-lis.

(edit); Apparently, it (and at least some of the rest of the entire design) is called a "soyombo". Cool!

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Yeah, most state flags aren't very good. I imagine it gets worse the more precise the location gets. :p

I mean, it looks kind of silly, but swords were designed the way they are for a reason - so your fingers and/or hands aren't bloody sliced right off when another fighter's blade slides down towards your sword's hilt. :p

(edit): although the fact that the image's lightsaber appears to have little bits of the hilt sticking out on the crossguard probably doesn't bode well for its design unless the hilt itself is resistant to...uh...lightsabering, :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

It is silly design, lightsaber is supposed to be a "futuristic" sword, and the designed itself is the possible design of a laser sword, no need for crossguard because the combat is evolved into no need for a crossguard

If they insist want that design, they should replace it with ancient Sith sword made of cortosis or something, but still why going back to ancient technology while everyone use futuristic technology?

I my self try to digest the "cortosis" thing in KotOR 1....

It should remembered that every jedi and sith should make their own lightsabers and current sith didn't really have anybody to show and teach what they should aim towards (like how Luke just copied his father's lightsaber design, who used Obi-Wan Kenobi's design and so on), so its unique look in Star Wars universe could be because of that.(even though in reality it is just because movie's costume designer liked that look)

Holographic videos in the original Star Wars are rare, with Leia's "you are my only hope" being the only real one of note - in fact, it seems to be used almost only to send messages. Obviously the technology has come out of favour, and judging by how it's always flickering and going out of focus it never properly worked in the first place. Since Leia needs to send it in an R2 unit instead of something like "e-mail" the technology must not be so advanced. It's also not a futuristic world - does "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" strike you as the future? Everything is dirty, grimy. Honestly, everything in Star Wars is more space magic than technology. Don't apply science fiction standards to a space opera about magic knights with fancy swords and pirate ships. Holovids must not be enough of a factor since Han Solo thinks Jedi don't even exist at the start of A New Hope. Hokey religions and ancient weapons and all that.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Nah, there are holographic videos everywhere, surely someone have records about Jedis and Sith. If that Sith guy never see alightsaber making him creating a lightsaber like that, then how he even make a lightsaber because he never see one?

there is also the possibility that this is an ancient lightsaber

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Holographic videos in the original Star Wars are rare, with Leia's "you are my only hope" being the only real one of note - in fact, it seems to be used almost only to send messages. Obviously the technology has come out of favour, and judging by how it's always flickering and going out of focus it never properly worked in the first place. Since Leia needs to send it in an R2 unit instead of something like "e-mail" the technology must not be so advanced. It's also not a futuristic world - does "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" strike you as the future? Everything is dirty, grimy. Honestly, everything in Star Wars is more space magic than technology. Don't apply science fiction standards to a space opera about magic knights with fancy swords and pirate ships. Holovids must not be enough of a factor since Han Solo thinks Jedi don't even exist at the start of A New Hope. Hokey religions and ancient weapons and all that.

The bolded part, yes...long time ago in the galaxy far far away, a star exploded, we just see it now, the light travel bilion years to reach our atmosphere, by means the galaxy where Luke is futuristic.

There is not much holographic records is because the movie is made in 70s...but we can disregard that, in the world where there is a huge space station that can blow up a planet, a spacecraft with gravity on it, and can travel in lightspeed...naaaah, technology lost is not an excuse. How long the hologram recoding device could be lost? Palpatine take over the galaxy, Luke was a baby, Luke must be about 20 when he meet Han Solo...

Edited by Qistina

everything in Star Wars is more space magic than technology. Don't apply science fiction standards to a space opera about magic knights with fancy swords and pirate ships.

You only need to look no further than the opening shot of the first movie that came out with Tatooine. A desert world where no life should exist. Much the same as Hoth. Where does the air come from? Anyway, having very little to no vegetation doesn't bother me.

I think the lightsabre is a lot better looking and a lot more practical than Darth Maul's lightsabre, I'll just say that now.  I also quite like it.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I love how you guys are trying to apply logic and rational thought process to Star Wars. This is one of those things that the less you think about it the more you will enjoy it. You could fly a Star Destroyer through all of the plot holes and logical flaws in that story. For instance Han Solo said the Millennium Falcon can travel .5 past light speed. If Han were on earth and decided to go to the next closest star, Proxima Centauri which is 4.367 light years away it would take him 2.19 years to get there. But it never seemed to take them long to get anywhere. Unless all the planets are in the same solar system but "A Solar System Far, Far Away" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I don't know where the "Galaxy Far, Far Away" is but I hope it's smaller than the Milky Way. A LOT smaller.

Yoda tells Luke they training to be a Jedi requires the deepest commitment but apparently they offer a "crash course" because he has that all wrapped up in the time it took Han & Leia to travel from Hoth to Cloud City. And speaking of that wasn't their FTL drive down? That means they were traveling below light speed the whole way? Let's figure that out real quick. The fastest man made probe we have right now is New Horizons which made the "Pluto Run" (not as far as the Kessel Run I guess) in 9.5 years and is chugging along at around 60,000 km/h, if that were to go to Proxima Centauri at a distance of 3.8x1016 meters away it would take it... say between 65,000 and 70,000 years giver or take? Even if the Falcon would quadruple the speed it might make it but Han & Leia wouldn't. But at least Luke would have had plenty of time to finish his training.

Don't even get me started on the engineering flaws of the Walker troop carriers or the flawed thinking of investing all the effort to building a new Death Star after the first one was so easily destroyed. You know France didn't rebuild the Maginot Line after WW2 for a reason.

Like I said, the more you think about it the less you will like it so don't think about it...

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think the lightsabre is a lot better looking and a lot more practical than Darth Maul's lightsabre, I'll just say that now.  I also quite like it.

Darth maul saber is more practical, and actually in real fights staff weapons will always win against sword, really, most samurais and knights died by spears than swords in battle. It is because of length and attack arch. But of course Darth Maul is a bad guy, so he must loose. Actually Darth Maul can kill both Qui Gon and Obi Wan in one strike at the start of the battle.

Both Qui Gon and Obi Wan attack first, Darth Maul is defensive, one strike both Jedis KO...even if Darth Maul attacking, he will win if this is a real fight.

And lastly Darth Maul don't have the advantage of BEING IN HIGHER GROUND, that BULL****

I always love the double-blade lightsaber, love them in KotOR 1, 2 and Jedi Academy...but the games and the lore favoring the single blade, because it's look "knightly"...a sword is a knightly weapon.

P/S : I learn martial art, so i know what i am talking about

Edited by Qistina