What you did today

Blarghagh

I don't. Man's an unfunny clown.

Looks like I may get that job after all, huzzah. Will miss the freedom of unemployment, was nice to wake up at 7 AM and just do whatever I wanted. Ah well, back to being a slave to The Man.

Happy for you, wish you luck on your quest to become The Man and just do whatever you want while being paid.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Working towards assistant Branch Manager position at my job... but got told to take today off because it's stupid slow this week and we don't need a full staff.

Either way even with all the various days off and half days over the week, I'm still at 40 hours per paycheck (I'm averaging about 55 right now)

• Like 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm going to try my hand at making furniture out of trees I harvest myself. I've never done anything quite like this so it should be interesting. Let's home the trees don't die in vain. Well, I always need firewood.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Happy for you, wish you luck on your quest to become The Man and just do whatever you want while being paid.

Pft, being The Man is too much work, I feel I'd be comfortable being the assistant to The Man, even if I end up filling in for him and ending up being turned to dust after.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Today I went to the knife & cutlery store to buy a new carry knife.

Asked the shopkeeper if he could make me a few suggestions for a good all-season self defense knife, told him I'm not such a knife pro and I'd appreciate some help. 

He showed me some interesting tacticool daggers, but they all had the same terrible design flaw. As he was showing me the blades I told him I don't like blades with saw backs since they get stuck between ribs all the time. After a few seconds of awkward silence I added ''Or so I've heard!!'' 

Needless to say he was kind of ''distanced'' for the rest of the sales talk, but I cant blame myself, its absolutely true that people in WWI in the trenches had massive problems with sawtooth bayonets and trench daggers getting stuck in their enemies bodies. Always use a plain straight blade! 

But I got what I wanted. Nothing fancy or earth shaking, but it gets the job done, size and weight is nearly perfect. Its pretty damn hard to find a decent dual-edged blade without a sawback. (I've got huge hands, the blade isn't that small)

knifewold_zpsey4cxbcc.jpg

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

He showed me some interesting tacticool daggers, but they all had the same terrible design flaw. As he was showing me the blades I told him I don't like blades with saw backs since they get stuck between ribs all the time. After a few seconds of awkward silence I added ''Or so I've heard!!'' 

Needless to say he was kind of ''distanced'' for the rest of the sales talk, but I cant blame myself, its absolutely true that people in WWI in the trenches had massive problems with sawtooth bayonets and trench daggers getting stuck in their enemies bodies. Always use a plain straight blade! 

I really don't get the squeamishness. I mean, if you didn't want to murder the absolute living **** out of somebody (or at least inflict grievous bodily harm), you wouldn't use a knife to begin with. That's what a self-defense knife is for!

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Careful Woldan. Have you ever heard the story of the guy who brought a knife to a gunfight? It's a pretty short story. :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Careful Woldan. Have you ever heard the story of the guy who brought a knife to a gunfight? It's a pretty short story. :lol:

I agree with you to 100%, unfortunately getting a concealed carry permit - while in theory possible- is virtually impossible to get as a normal person around here. Which is strange as all the thugs and burglars seem to have a carry permit (lol).  :geek:  >_<

So the next best and legal option is to carry a knife. 

Edited by Woldan

Today I went to the knife & cutlery store to buy a new carry knife.

Asked the shopkeeper if he could make me a few suggestions for a good all-season self defense knife, told him I'm not such a knife pro and I'd appreciate some help. 

But I got what I wanted. Nothing fancy or earth shaking, but it gets the job done, size and weight is nearly perfect. Its pretty damn hard to find a decent dual-edged blade without a sawback. (I've got huge hands, the blade isn't that small)

knifewold_zpsey4cxbcc.jpg

I don't know about Austrian laws but in Serbia it would be straight to the police station if that thing was found on you. To have deniability it would need to be a folder type of innocuous design. 

Generally speaking, a knife is not a good option for self-defense since there are no ways of using it without killing or maiming the other person - in other words, getting into a situation where you're the guilty party. If someone is out to murder you yes (not likely, is it?), but if get into a fistfight and pull a knife that's attempted murder and its straight to jail for you, even if you didn't start it. On the other hand, if you're attacked in a determined manner with any tool (bat, tire iron, knife) that would give you the excuse to use it the likelihood of being able to draw and defend oneself in time is remote.

If you want to carry a stabbing weapon, there is nothing better than a screwdriver with a sharpened tip, because its impossible to break regardless of what it hits and the handles are usually much better for grip. And its easy to find an excuse to have one on you. And you can't get cut if your fingers slip on it.

In the absence of guns, I'd prefer pepper spray, shock devices, caution and quick feet. This coming from a guy with a drawer full of various knives. I used to carry a pocketknife but its utility was low and it was easy to get into the habit of carrying it to the point that I sometimes forgot I had it on me. Not a good thing to walk into a government building with a metal detector with a knife that just sits in your pocket all the time. Police tend not to believe explanations at that point.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

When I was in the military I knew this grizzled old Gunnery Sergeant named Hess. Never knew his first name but everyone called him Skeeter. As long as you were a Corporal of better. Otherwise you called him Gunny Hess. He was this tough, seen-it-all-done-it-all, old school man of the world and he gave me the best advice I've ever heard about knife fighting. He fixed me with a steely eye and said in his gravelly voice "Don't get in one s--t head!"

True story! :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

Thomas Sowell

In the absence of guns, I'd prefer pepper spray, shock devices, caution and quick feet. This coming from a guy with a drawer full of various knives.

caution and quick feet is our choices.  that being said, Gromnir doesn't have a family.  we have lived in a few rough neighborhoods, and while we never particular feared for self, having a family to protect would change our self-defense calculus.  a baseball bat next to the bedstand has been our go-to weapon o' choice for confronting burglars, not that we need such nowadays.  we have never owned anything that we valued enough to kill somebody to retain, so am doubting we woulda' ever swung our bat at anybody in anger.  our sister became ill and lived with us a number o' years and before we moved to our comical safe neighborhood, we did have a large & noisy dog to protect her when we weren't around.

if we had kids and a wife and we couldn't have a big dog, we would at least consider a gun.  

a knife?  can't think of a situation we would want a knife.  is hardly an ideal home protect weapon, and for any other scenario we is gonna use the "caution and quick feet" option.  the ridiculous small possibility of being attacked after we has happily surrendered our wallet, class ring and computer (our shoes and suit is likely gonna be our most valuable possessions at any given moment, but we ain't yet been threatened for our shoes) to the person robbing us does not make us want to purchase a knife.  if we is attacked before we have a chance to surrender our goods, a knife woulda' been pointless in any case.

however, we do have the full damascus series o' MAC knives.

DA_BK_200___Dama_4cb4d9bcf1ba6.jpg

gorgeous, no?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In case of robbery I carry a pocket full of lollipops at all times. It's amazing how being offered a wowwipop can disarm even the most aggressive individual, i've even bribed Jehovah's Witnesses with them long enough to get away.

Edit: Well off on sunny jolly hols one goes, goodbye cruel fora, may sweet dreams sweep me to your bosom ere we meet anew. Ta ta.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Caution and quick feet is my number one armament since the best fight is the one you are not even involved in. I rather run way than fight, few things are worth fighting for, but things rarely go after plan in emergency situations so its nice to have a backup plan if the first one does not work.

My backup plan is a knife since an edged weapon beats fists, and the only fight I want to fight is the one where I have an an advantage in.
If my opponent has only fists and I have a knife I have a better chance of winning the fight, and there is also the psychological factor - nobody wants a knife fight so showing that I'm armed and able to inflict a lot of physical damage might make the average hooligan who wants to fight reconsider.

And I'm well aware of the places where a knife can and can't be carried. The laws about carrying edged weapons is very open around here.

Also I do not consider a screwdriver to be a good weapon, the surface of a knife is much MUCH bigger which means it does far more damage than any screwdriver. Its very easy to slip since it does not have any guard. And its much easier to disarm somebody who uses a screwdriver as a weapon, you can't grab a sharp knife blade and wrestle it out of somebody's hands, a screwdriver can be easily grabbed. There is a reason why people who do need a meele weapon don't carry screwdrivers on their belts or vests.
A screwdriver is hard to carry, clumsy and unsafe and therefore a terrible weapon.

As for any weapon system, a good knife is an excellent weapon if used correctly and under the right circumstances, same goes for rifles, shotguns, pistols and what have you. As for home defense: two big holes, 12 gauge, #1 Buckshot is all I have to say.

Oh and....  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4hl7NRjWs

Edited by Woldan

Pft, being The Man is too much work, I feel I'd be comfortable being the assistant to The Man, even if I end up filling in for him and ending up being turned to dust after.

A smart man, being the KingMaker is better than being King.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

however, we do have the full damascus series o' MAC knives.

gorgeous, no?

HA! Good Fun!

If I ever had two thousand bucks to spend on a set of kitchen knives this would likely be my pick

oh, we don't use them as kitchen knives.  we got one o' those walnut surfaced magnetic knife racks so we can stare at the MACs while we use our cheap wusthof blades.

am only kinda joking.

HA! Good Fun!

ps edited out picture

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As for quality blades, I still like my Swiss bayonet / combat knife from 1915. The steel quality they achieved back then without modern electronics and machines is breathtaking and puts any modern blade under one grand to shame.  

bajo2_zpsed0382f4.jpg

My German 1908 bayonet is not far behind. 

bajo1_zpsaa025d4c.jpg

• Like 1

I hate losing my cool. I lost my cool today, won't bore you with the details but I gave a stranger the finger like an 8 year old. Now come the endless recriminations and cool comebacks that I could have used in a sudden flash of inspiration.

Where were you when I needed you sudden flash. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Aw, I thought you were going to stick with the theme and stab them or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hate losing my cool. I lost my cool today, won't bore you with the details but I gave a stranger the finger like an 8 year old. Now come the endless recriminations and cool comebacks that I could have used in a sudden flash of inspiration.

:lol:

Thomas Sowell

Hey man, that 8 year-old probably deserved it.

I may have misread your post.

• Like 1