What you did today

Blarghagh

Today I ordered a new rifle for some serious cash, to be more specific a classic double barrel muzzle loader rifle in .72 caliber, 1850's era. Those were typically used on Safaris to hunt hippo, elephant and other game that can stomp and/or eat you. The caliber is so big you can stick your thumb down the barrels and recoil is definitely not for the inexperienced. This is an elephant rifle after all. I'm not a hunter but I've always loved those rifles, and I love 1800's muzzle loaders. 

Thats her:

2005_0303Image0004.jpg

Can't wait to get my hands on it. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 6

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Preparing for a job interview, luckily the hiring manager already knows me from previous job where he was our client. Hate these things, always have to come up with a good answer for "Why do you want this job?" other than "I have no income now, numbnuts"

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Preparing for a job interview, luckily the hiring manager already knows me from previous job where he was our client. Hate these things, always have to come up with a good answer for "Why do you want this job?" other than "I have no income now, numbnuts"

Good Luck  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Today I ordered a new rifle for some serious cash, to be more specific a classic double barrel muzzle loader rifle in .72 caliber, 1850's era. Those were typically used on Safaris to hunt hippo, elephant and other game that can stomp and/or eat you. The caliber is so big you can stick your thumb down the barrels and recoil is definitely not for the inexperienced. This is an elephant rifle after all. I'm not a hunter but I've always loved those rifles, and I love 1800's muzzle loaders. 

Thats her:

2005_0303Image0004.jpg

Now THAT is f-----g awesome! You gotta post a video when you take it to the range!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The answer I use  is "I love this kind of work and I'm really looking forward to applying my skills to a new challenge". It's an enthusiastic tone that reassures competence by bringing up your skills and hits two of the big HR type buzzwords "forward" and "challenge".

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The answer I use  is "I love this kind of work and I'm really looking forward to applying my skills to a new challenge". It's an enthusiastic tone that reassures competence by bringing up your skills and hits two of the big HR type buzzwords "forward" and "challenge".

Yeah, also I would add something like " and leaving my old work has had its benefits as it has given me a chance to look at other perhaps more promising avenues" 

Because he won't assume Malc just needs another job to pay bills and is committed 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Thats her:

2005_0303Image0004.jpg

Now THAT is f-----g awesome! You gotta post a video when you take it to the range!

Will do. Gonna a take a while till I have the rifle and the custom made bullet mold + patches though so stay tuned.  ;)

Today I've been on the shooting range, the last time this winter they close it till spring.  ;(

Still managed to make good groups though, with my scoped (x7 magnification) rifle at 100 meters, 5 shots, which includes the cold bore shot! 

groupwold_zpspzljlo7l.jpg

Edited by Woldan

The answer I use is "I love this kind of work and I'm really looking forward to applying my skills to a new challenge". It's an enthusiastic tone that reassures competence by bringing up your skills and hits two of the big HR type buzzwords "forward" and "challenge".

Yeah, also I would add something like " and leaving my old work has had its benefits as it has given me a chance to look at other perhaps more promising avenues"

Because he won't assume Malc just needs another job to pay bills and is committed

Yeah, I usually answer that the technical aspects are interesting, appeal to me as an area I want to grow in and I enjoy a challenge. Got laid off so no need to elaborate on why I left it :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"What are your good and bad characteristics?"

Well my good characteristics are I don't steal from the workplace. My bad would be that I drink too much and have an terrible temper. And I don't take rejection well.

:lol:  Just once I'd like to say that just to see the look on the interviewer's face.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I did ask one guy the question from Blade Runner's VK test. The other interviewer with me was not amused I decided to ask the candidate about the tortoise. :lol:

The thing I hate most about the interview process is the whole silly dance, you ask crap and wait for the canned answer, etc.

• Like 5

I did ask one guy the question from Blade Runner's VK test. The other interviewer with me was not amused I decided to ask the candidate about the tortoise. :lol:

Well, good thing he didn't snap and shoot you!  :devil:

Kick off is in 1 hour. GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Well, good thing he didn't snap and shoot you! :devil:

I knew to not ask about his mother

2005_0303Image0004.jpg

That's a really pretty gun and I say that as someone who always found your firearm fetish weird  :lol:

In my opinion classic guns are half gun half art so even someone who is not into guns at all can still appreciate the astonishing craftsmanship.  :)

Heck, some time ago a friend showed me his sewing machine from 1908, I know absolutely nothing about sewing machines but I instantly loved it because of the clever mechanics, the breathtaking craftsmanship and details. 

The rifle also comes with some engravings. 

a00159aa46cd534dmed_zpsujhwaq0k.jpg

26ec69fdd7d2c1d8med_zpshtsviqrp.jpg

bc704afb4d28869fmed_zpsrorgq0xa.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3

"What are your good and bad characteristics?"

Well my good characteristics are I don't steal from the workplace. My bad would be that I drink too much and have an terrible temper. And I don't take rejection well.

:lol:  Just once I'd like to say that just to see the look on the interviewer's face.

The one time I actually answered an interviewer's questions honestly, he kicked me out about halfway through the interview. I didn't really want the job anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

I honestly do not get the point of interviews when it's clear they don't want someone who will answer honestly or thoughtfully. The only way you'll get the job is if you bull**** out the "proper" answers, which everyone semi-competent will do, so why bother? I guess they're looking at body language, but given that body language isn't consistent through all people, particular in a situation where people are nervous, it just seems pointless. Seems the only point is to justify the jobs of HR people.

• Like 3

That moment when your brain says "Hey! Remember me? I'm depression! And you're gonna be alone for christmas....." And then evil laughter rings out from... somewhere dark.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

That moment when your brain says "Hey! Remember me? I'm depression! And you're gonna be alone for christmas....." And then evil laughter rings out from... somewhere dark.

That sucks, but an nontraditional Christmas can actually be quite fun. There's a lot of people in cities looking for kindred spirits, both for parties and just generally hanging out. Especially around family oriented holidays. Some of my strangest adventures have been on nights out in the days around Christmas.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

In my opinion classic guns are half gun half art so even someone who is not into guns at all can still appreciate the astonishing craftsmanship.  :)

I completely agree with you on this one. The pride of my collection has not been fired in at least 50 years. A pure show piece. It's a 1851 Colt Navy .32. For those who don't know it's a black powder cap & ball revolver. It was a common side arm for officers during the civil war. My father bought it from a man who thought it was a replica. it was rendered inoperable which of course kills the value but it has been authenticated. I built a display case for it.

Thomas Sowell

That moment when your brain says "Hey! Remember me? I'm depression! And you're gonna be alone for christmas....." 

Gotta learn to be happy with yourself. Having others to share the holiday with can be an added blessing, but they shouldn't be a crutch that your happiness relies on. You need moar inner fulfillment. I'd suggest improving your diet (if it could use improvement), taking up light yoga or Tai chi, reconnecting with your inner child, and taking control of your thinking patterns.

Oprah_Winfrey_in_sunglasses.jpg?noCache=

Oprah approved this post.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Have to move out as we are having mold cleaned up. Previous owner didn't caulk the shower, I guess. Kind of paranoid about giving the contractor a house key. But not much I can do at this point.

Would be nice to have a code lock as well as key one. Can change code easier than all the locks, after all.

In the "A Man with Fleas is Never Truly Alone" category, as long as the internet is available and one person is reading what you post, you're never truly alone.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man