Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Publishing

nathler

Since the Vampire clans are based on various vampire archetypes, I wonder if a new edition will add sparkly daywalkers

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Generally speaking, how many "lead developers" would a company the size of Obs have? Or is Sawyer the "lead developer" on everything Obs does for the foreseeable future?

As there are at least three games that Obsidian is currently working on and every single one of them has different lead designer, so I would say that company size of Obsidian has at least three such people in their employment.

EDIT: I would also say that people fear too much balancing especially when it comes to games that use existing system instead of one that is designed by Obsidian (Sawyer and co.). Because with existing systems time is not usually spent in balancing/designing system but designing game around that system.

Edited by Elerond

Since the Vampire clans are based on various vampire archetypes, I wonder if a new edition will add sparkly daywalkers

Yes, they have a weakness for emotionally challenged teenagers and are prone to fits of hollow melodrama.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought there was no way I would ever consider not buying a new Vampire game.

I was wrong.

Edited by WotanAnubis
  • Like 1

Yes, they have a weakness for emotionally challenged teenagers and are prone to fits of hollow melodrama.

Kinda like a combination Ventrue-Toreador clan weakness: can only feed off angst-ridden teens and then are overcome with melodramatic angst after feeding.

I thought there was no way I would ever consider not buying a new Vampire game.

I was wrong.

Well, I would consider it if they were the enemy and you had to slaughter them all...

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Please don't ruin it by using an isometric engine. Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, but I doubt I'd even bother if it's turned into turn based gaming. The first-person immersion with the characters in a modern day city environment is one of the best things about it. Leave isometric to the medieval fantasy/D&D/post apocalyptic crowd.

• Like 1

Please don't ruin it by using an isometric engine. Bloodlines is one of my favorite games, but I doubt I'd even bother if it's turned into turn based gaming. The first-person immersion with the characters in a modern day city environment is one of the best things about it. Leave isometric to the medieval fantasy/D&D/post apocalyptic crowd.

I doubt that Obsidian can deliver production values expected of first person games.

Unless Paradox is willing to invest in the project we will likely get another nostalgia cash-grab.

I doubt that Obsidian can deliver production values expected of first person games.

Yeah, that's the thing I'm most concerned about as well.

Frankly, I think a lot of WoD properties are better suited to the Telltale treatment than to CRPG conversion, but I suppose something in the vein of Tides of Numenera could work.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yeah, that's the thing I'm most concerned about as well.

Frankly, I think a lot of WoD properties are better suited to the Telltale treatment than to CRPG conversion, but I suppose something in the vein of Tides of Numenera could work.

**** no, not the Telltale treatment.  Used to like them, but quick-time event combat mixed with meaningless choices that don't actually change anything has destroyed that.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

**** no, not the Telltale treatment.  Used to like them, but quick-time event combat mixed with meaningless choices that don't actually change anything has destroyed that.

I hear Life is Strange is pretty good on the "your choices actually matter" front. It's not like the medium is inextricably tied to weaknesses of one particular studio's take on it.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I hear Life is Strange is pretty good on the "your choices actually matter" front. It's not like the medium is inextricably tied to weaknesses of one particular studio's take on it.

Nope, its a lie.

All "choices" is purely cosmetically.

Not to mention of physical pain from tolerating ultra-hipstor Main Character - Max.

• Like 2

Sorry for my bag English.  :dancing:

It's one where the choices you make change the journey , not the final destination. That and the slightly different emotional shifts it puts on the story as you go along.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Unless Paradox is willing to invest in the project we will likely get another nostalgia cash-grab.

Yeah, most likely the case. I can't say I've ever been hopeful about a Bloodlines sequel, though I've wanted one. An isometric version would be the final nail in the coffin. 

Wot. New Vegas seemed to handle pretty well. Source 2 engine is free too, so they could use that if they wanted (although I doubt they would since Tim Cain is probably traumatized from the nightmare that was developing while S1 was still in dev).

Hell, they could still use Source 2013. That engine still delivers on impressive facial animations.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

Whatever they pick, the engine should suit the gameplay.

Graphics should NOT dictate the engine.

Obsidian has some Unity experience now so I'm sure Unity5 is an option, maybe Onyx?

First person and/or Third person would be the preferred option I think.

Just make sure blood boil gets in there! :p

Also , make sure you start the game with the first 3 seconds of:

:w00t:

Edited by Maf

Amidst all the excitement I just realized that if a Vampire game were to be made, it'd use the Requiem clans/bloodlines system, which would mean no Malkavian clan. 

Actually, Requiem has Malkavians (they're a bloodline).

Also, Paradox has the rights to both old and new World of Darkness, so if a Vampire game were to be made, I'd wager it'd be more likely to use Masquerade's systems because brand recognition yadda yadda.

Wow, such a perfect summary of Masquerade.

Amidst all the excitement I just realized that if a Vampire game were to be made, it'd use the Requiem clans/bloodlines system, which would mean no Malkavian clan. 

Also, Paradox has the rights to both old and new World of Darkness, so if a Vampire game were to be made, I'd wager it'd be more likely to use Masquerade's systems because brand recognition yadda yadda.

Requiem's system is kinda retarded though. Reducing Malkavians to a bloodline instead of a clan... ew.

Also Paradox probably wants to use videogames as a way to make the PnP game more popular, hence it'd make sense for them to use Requiem instead of Masquerade since that's the current version.

I hate Unity.

Requiem's system is kinda retarded though. Reducing Malkavians to a bloodline instead of a clan... ew.

Also Paradox probably wants to use videogames as a way to make the PnP game more popular, hence it'd make sense for them to use Requiem instead of Masquerade since that's the current version.

Requiem's clans represent fictional vampire archetypes. You have your misshapen monsters (Nosferatu), feral hunters (Gangrel), alluring seducers (Daeva), regal rulers (Ventrue) and sneaky predators (Mehket). "Mad vampire" is simply not a robust enough fictional niche to be on par with these; thus, bloodline.

You do realize that currently both Masquerade and Requiem are ongoing lines with products printed for both, right? Moreover, that a new edition of Masquerade is already being worked on?

Obsidian has some Unity experience now so I'm sure Unity5 is an option, maybe Onyx?

If you don't have an engine from a parent company or something, chances are you're gonna use cryengine for a tps action rpg game : p Don't know why so many devs are choosing cryengine, maybe it's cheaper than most? 

Why not license redengine from cdpr? : d

If you don't have an engine from a parent company or something, chances are you're gonna use cryengine for a tps action rpg game : p Don't know why so many devs are choosing cryengine, maybe it's cheaper than most? 

CryEngine is easier to use than Unreal where you have to build lighting to see the changes; you just have to drop a light into the scene and that's it. I haven't worked much with CryEngine but I get the feeling that they just need to find their market, they're aimless and that's hurting them.

Also, I don't get why so many gamers have a love for Onyx and an unfounded hatred of Unity. I literally could only find 2 games made on Onyx and both where made by Obsidian.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

CryEngine is easier to use than Unreal where you have to build lighting to see the changes; you just have to drop a light into the scene and that's it. I haven't worked much with CryEngine but I get the feeling that they just need to find their market, they're aimless and that's hurting them.

Also, I don't get why so many gamers have a love for Onyx and an unfounded hatred of Unity. I literally could only find 2 games made on Onyx and both where made by Obsidian.

Onyx is Obsidian's own in house engine, which they used in DSIII and South Park.

I like the WoD, but it's only a small part of why VtM: Bloodlines is my joint favourite game. Obsidian could make a really good game with the setting, but right now they couldn't make a game like Bloodlines, for a start they'd need Brian Mitsoda as a lead designer, but there's a lot that went into that game, many different talents. Some of the best characters in Bloodlines already existed in WoD, so there's hope for whatever Paradox do with it. I'd like for Obsidian to do a WoD RPG, but it's not in relation to Bloodlines.