Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

I'm dreaming, right?

WSB TV printed (and broadcast) a retraction of the story after online gamers encouraged them to investigate the evidence provided by their source.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/local-gamer-says-he-communicated-shooter-killed-jo/nnS4Z/

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Did his mother drop his head on the floor while he was little or something?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I can sort of see where he's coming from, but that sounds like overanalization, especially when the game's mechanics and narrative are empathically not about "being pushed too far/retaining humanity in the face of it", but simply about being a highly professional agent or a sloppy operative. Having to resort to violence is a failure state in these games.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I know of click-bait with news services.

Is click-Tweet a thing? Because McIntosh's tweets always sound like things calculated to make people redistribute his tweets.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Guys now that I dont really follow this whole GG\anti-GG development anymore I have some new insights into the causes and motivations behind the social and psychological reasons behind GG\anti-GG  that I doubt most of you will be aware of 

Funny enough I'm more critical of Anita and some of  the subsequent events than ever before. But it will be a few paragraphs so I won't make the post unless someone asks  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You're waiting to see how many people ask so you can figure how much money you might get if you set up a Patreon account from your supporters...? :p

• Like 3

You're waiting to see how many people ask so you can figure how much money you might get if you set up a Patreon account from your supporters...? :p

:lol:  

You funny...it probably seems like I just want to someone to say " please tell us something we dont know " and  I  need someone to almost want me to post 

But no...I post when I want and where I want as we all should. But  this is different, it will be very enligthening to many people on this thread but its also complex as its a history of GG

So I will post it if someone asks me ...I'm not that committed to make the post by myself 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The queer masculinity of stealth games.

In games, men's bodies often represent brute strength. Stealth games are the focal point for an alternative masculinity: sleek, illusory, sensitive, and self-reflective.

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/07/the-queer-masculinity-of-steal.html

Well looking at the epitome of stealth in PC games, the Thief Garret, I neither see illusory, sensitive or self reflective qualities. Sleek mayhap as a pre-requisite for his occupation, but he is ideally not seen enough to be illusory, he is perhaps one of the most insensitive and straightforward of protagonists, and the only thing he usually reflects on is how much he can earn from a given endeavour, and how much recreation and rent that can afford him.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You should really use an archive for those sorts of nonsense articles, Fighter.
It's pretty easy. Just go to somewhere like https://archive.is/ and enter the url you want archived. Then you can show all your friends the sort of pseudo-intellectual nonsense people write without giving them clicks.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Spasiba.

There must be some kind of male choreography in place, some layout of steps I would have learned in childhood if I’d been raised a boy. As is, I have no idea how they’d like me to respond. All they want is to be men at me, and there’s some man thing they want in return.

These people are really taking the whole Men are from Mars thing seriously, aren't they?
They can't possibly just be some **** toughs looking to pick on someone or mug them? No these strange manbeings are like a group of aliens whose ways seem savage and barbaric and still rely on a barter system and whizzing on things to mark their territory.

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Guys I'm going to give you all one more chance...does anyone want me to make this post about GG

Remember I wont make it unless someone asks  :teehee:

John Milton 

Well, that was an entertaining read. I suppose one can get anything out of anything.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, that was an entertaining read. I suppose one can get anything out of anything.

What read are you talking about ?

John Milton 

What read are you talking about ?

The article on the queer masculinity of stealth games.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guys I'm going to give you all one more chance...does anyone want me to make this post about GG

Remember I wont make it unless someone asks  :teehee:

The important thing is if you want to make it. But now I am curious, so go ahead I want to read it.

Okay, I was fine not writing it but since you asked. I'm going now to meet a girlfriend for coffee so when I get back

John Milton