Music. Must. Go on!

Blarghagh

H

Hoon how is your sister by the way, you dont seem to talk about her anymore ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands when I was young, Brazilian thrash metal legends Sepultura:

Note the restrained use of double bass by drummer Igor Cavalera.  Double bass drum is a staple of heavy metal music but is sometimes overused by metal drummers.  Double bass creates a powerful backdrop akin to thunder, but sometimes it's best to back off and not use it all the time, that way when you do drop in a double bass fill it's that much more impactful.  

Arise is widely considered their best album, it's at the very zenith of the crossroads of their creativity and experimentation and their polish as musicians.  Many quality bands follow a similar path where they start out raw but creative and end with their creative juices run dry but their polish as musicians at an all time high.  Somewhere in the middle you get that album (or 2 or 3 if you're really lucky, or 4 if it's Pink Floyd) where the band's creativity and experimentation is still going strong and their musical prowess and polish has caught up to their ambition.  For Sepultura that zenith encompasses 2 albums: Beneath the Remains and Arise.  

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's it Keyrock, we're doing a tour of South America. You and me buddy!

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Pink Floyd is one of a few bands who have created a great album that in essence is just one big awesome song. They are perhaps the only which has created a few of them. This is my personal fave, musically and thematically....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKvM_Q4jKM

It's also the only album I listen to with any regularity that is guaranteed to get my dogs barking. The only drawback to it...

:*

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 4

@Orogun - When I have the time and means, I will happily take you up on that offer.  Visiting various places in South America is on my bucket list (along with Italy, France, and Japan)

^ Animals is my personal favorite Pink Floyd album too.  You almost never hear songs off this album on the radio because they tend to be 15-20 minutes long (except Pigs on the Wing), but they are absolute masterpieces.  I truly believe Pink Floyd is the greatest band of the 20th century.  The vast majority of bands are lucky if they create one truly good album.  The truly greats are lucky to have 1 album in the top 20 albums of all time.  Pink Floyd has 4, IMHO.

Also, since I mentioned Beneath the Remains earlier, I figure I should post a song from that album for comparison.

I think Sepultura's creativity level was just as high here as with Arise, but their musical polish was still slightly lacking.  The jam session from 1:55 to about 3:30 is an amazing example of progressive metal, but a couple of the transitions are a little rough around the edges, something they would fix up on their next album, Arise.  I'd also like to highlight Igor Cavalera's expert use of double bass.  Note how he goes into double bass at 2:25 and keeps it going through the quiet and slow section until about 2:44, where the thundering of double bass can be very clearly heard.  He immediately backs off and drops into regular single bass drum when the guitar riff comes in dropping in a very quick double bass fill here and there for emphasis.  Igor rarely gets the credit he deserves for his masterful drumming work.  

When I was younger, I played bass guitar (something I should return to eventually).  I don't regret it, I love bass guitar.  If I had it to do all over again, though, I would play drums (assuming it was something my parents could accommodate). 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Since I'm giving verbal fellatio to drummers, I would be remiss if I didn't post something from my favorite drummer of all time, Panamanian legend Billy Cobham.  Thanks, dad (he's the one who turned me on to not only Billy Cobham, but jazz fusion in general).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_SqtFerjg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Also also (I'm drunk, leave me alone) I figure I should post a video of my instrument, the bass guitar.  Here we have John Myung, bassist for Dream Theater.  Normally bassists get little, if any camera time, because bass is not a "sexy" instrument.  Any real musician will tell you how thin and ****ty their music would sound without bass guitar, but never mind that.  I will say that the people that normally film Dream Theater know their stuff and generally show the bassist and drummer nearly as much as the singer and guitarist, but it's cool to see John Myung shown for the entirety of a song (especially since he's not a flashy guy trying to get in the limelight, he just drops phat lines and doesn't care if you notice), doubly so since this is an insane all-star medley of not only Dream Theater songs, but also some Liguid Tension Experiment.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I know that it might sound like music to your ears, but this is really getting out of hand :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I know that it might sound like music to your ears, but this is really getting out of hand :p

Woops!

I posted in the wrong thread. My deepest apologies everyone.

I fixed my post!

Edited by Valsuelm

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

This particular Pink Martini singer (Storm Large) has easily one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard in my life. Obviously probably not for everyone, but man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5FFmHUK0sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

among our top three female vocalists along with aretha and etta.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)