What you did today

Blarghagh

And no harm done, thats what counts.

From what you say not just no harm done but it worked out for the best for all four of you - the dog, the lady, Shade and yourself.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Exactly. I had an extensive talk with the breeder and people I trust who own dogs and even though it was a very hard decision it was the right one for us both. And no harm done, thats what counts.

Sorry to hear it, I'd hoped you'd found a match made in heaven, black-and-tan edition. Best of luck with the feline.

If not, I would try a newt. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah, Im a cat person myself, but only for selfish reasons. No animal will ever love you like your dog loves you but they need "hands on" care (feeding, letting out, walking). With a cat you cat leave a bowl of food on the floor for a week and it goes crap in a box so maintenance is low, but you are just there to serve the cat. :lol: I have a big ole fatty yellow lab and two cats.

Always preferred dogs myself, grew up with them a lot. Right now though, they're fun to play with and loyal. I spend enough time serving ungrateful scumbags at work :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always preferred dogs myself, grew up with them a lot. Right now though, they're fun to play with and loyal. I spend enough time serving ungrateful scumbags at work :p

And Moose...you like Moose, they also very loyal 

All Canadians are partial to Moose which is why its the most popular pet in your country  :wub:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Moose is delicious

http://youtu.be/CRIwuxqKyyk

:lol:

Thats cruel ....I hope our Canadian members realize you aren't referring to there beloved pets  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I prefer cats to dogs.

But I prefer not having to suffer through the death of a beloved pet more, so I have no pets.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

cnn tells us that a thousand people die in floods in bangladesh and we hardly pause as we switch channel to espn to check scores o' football games.  gotta have a pet with cancer euthanized and we weep more than a few tears o' sadness and loss.  

*shrug*

oddly enough, in spite o' the fact that we got multiple dogs and cats, we ain't never purchased a pet.  our deceased sister bought us a cat... she bought us the cat before she died.  we ain't that crazy.  when she passed away, we adopted her multiple pets.  a friend of ours, a veterinarian as it just so happens, had a stroke and were no longer able to take care of her border collie.  so, we added a border collie to our household.

our cc&rs says that we can own two pets.  we wish we only had two pets.  hell, for reason amentep mentions, we would personal choose to have no pets at all.  nevertheless, we somehow goes from a guy who had a cat forced on him by a well-intentioned sibling, to being the kook on the street with a small zoo. is embarrassing. am s'posing the neighbors would complain, but they all seem to know how we acquired our menagerie and so we get a kinda functional exemption from rules.   

were never our intention to have pets. when each one o' them dies, am gonna weep.  lotta weeping. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

cnn tells us that a thousand people die in floods in bangladesh and we hardly pause as we switch channel to espn to check scores o' football games.  gotta have a pet with cancer euthanized and we weep more than a few tears o' sadness and loss.  

*shrug*

oddly enough, in spite o' the fact that we got multiple dogs and cats, we ain't never purchased a pet.  our deceased sister bought us a cat... she bought us the cat before she died.  we ain't that crazy.  when she passed away, we adopted her multiple pets.  a friend of ours, a veterinarian as it just so happens, had a stroke and were no longer able to take care of her border collie.  so, we added a border collie to our household.

our cc&rs says that we can own two pets.  we wish we only had two pets.  hell, for reason amentep mentions, we would personal choose to have no pets at all.  nevertheless, we somehow goes from a guy who had a cat forced on him by a well-intentioned sibling, to being the kook on the street with a small zoo. is embarrassing. am s'posing the neighbors would complain, but they all seem to know how we acquired our menagerie and so we get a kinda functional exemption from rules.   

were never our intention to have pets. when each one o' them dies, am gonna weep.  lotta weeping. 

HA! Good Fun!

Does it not bother you that you  seem to care more about an animal then a human being? I have asked myself this question myself, in South Africa white folks really love there pets and sometimes there is this  accusation " white people care more about animals than impoverished black people  " ....I don't think this is fair. We care about lots of different  things like human suffering, starvation, rhinos and poverty

But I do sometimes feel a little guilty...and I'm not sure why ? For example my mom has 3 dogs and she does spend a lot of money on there well being..probably more than she gives directly to charity? But she does give money outside of the obvious to NGO and charity examples 

So I guess I am asking why do we seem to really care about more about pets than ostensibly about people who live in poverty? 

John Milton 

People care more about things they are close to than random strangers. News at 11.

Its more than that, people join campaigns like "save the Rhino " and they have never seen a rhino in RL

Lets try to challenge our insight tonight Gfted1  ;)

John Milton 

There are a lot of people. Looking purely objectively, more people need to die and less rhinos. It's of course a horrible thing to say and emotionally I don't want people to die, but it's the fact. Rhinos are going extinct and our descendants might never even be lucky enough to see them. That's also a very specific problem rather than "whoa, a lot of people live in poverty".

• Like 1

Lets try to challenge our insight tonight Gfted1  wink.png

I think that will be very challenging for you. :lol:

Oh you bad boy...no dinner for you, off to bed !!!   :wowey:

There are a lot of people. Looking purely objectively, more people need to die and less rhinos. It's of course a horrible thing to say and emotionally I don't want people to die, but it's the fact. Rhinos are going extinct and our descendants might never even be lucky enough to see them. That's also a very specific problem rather than "whoa, a lot of people live in poverty".

Yes you make some good points, another reason is most animals are seen as defenseless as opposed to humans

But we shouldn't kid ourselves, in my own country people do live and die in poverty ...so we talking about the type of poverty that leads to death for human beings.For example people die in South Africa from exposure to the elements 

John Milton 

People die in poverty in every country, except Scandinavian countries, where everyone wears clothing made of spun gold.

Seriously though, people commiserate with things that happen within their sphere of influence or if it directly affects them, not with random bad stuff around the world. Seems easy enough to understand.

except Scandinavian countries, where everyone wears clothing made of spun gold.

*Looks down at self and worn out clothing*.. I may not be Scandinavian after all.

Or maybe I'm the only one actually paying for it all.

Fortune favors the bald.

People care more about things they are close to than random strangers. News at 11.

it is as simple as that.  is no grand mystery.  and truth-to-tell, is a good thing that the suffering o' strangers takes less o' a toll on us than the passing o' a pet.  we would not be able to get outta bed in the morning if our empathy were so expansive.  little girl in ________ dies because o' mislabeled medications.  woman in _______ is raped and left for dead by rebel fighters.  reporter in _________ is sodomized with a baseball bat by police for questioning putin.  oops, let the origin o' that one slip.  regardless, if we had had no filtre on our emotions, we would be a complete mess... or an actress.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"But that's just how it is, because one man is always the dead - and two million is always just a statistic."

Not looking forward to my dogs dying, I avoided my childhood pets dying while I was out of country - we left them with my grandparents. Which is bad in a way, is not a bad thing to experience that and learn to cope from it.

Does make me remember to walk them more and play with them more - I suppose most sadness at death is due to regret of how time was spent or some selfish desire to have them around.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A group of 8 and 9 year old boys have been arrested for raping a 6 year old girl in South Africa ...anyway its obviously caused much discussion and self reflection as people are asking " how could this happen " ...you won't believe some of the stupid comments 

But what do you guys think could cause people of this age to do this ?

John Milton 

Its pretty simple, kids mimic the grown ups in their social environment.

Well thats been one response but its highly unlikely these kids have seen there parents raping people ?

John Milton 

I suspect Gfted's right. At least for one of the kids (group behavior being what it is, you'd only need one to potentially add that to the "group" thought process, I'd guess).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man